Gigabit Router and NAS

twodoctors

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hi,

I have a Buffalo NAS (with Gigabit LAN) and am planning on upgrading my router to Wifi-N. I would like to know whether there is any speed advantage by getting a router with gigabit lan? My theory is that Wifi-N is limited to 300MBits/sec and fast LAN is 100MBits, while Gigabit Lan is 1000MBits/sec. So economically I would be better off sticking to a vanilla router rather than paying almost double for one with gigabit LAN, as the file transfer speed is limited by Wifi-N anyway. Am I correct?

With the NAS connected directly to my computer with Gibabit LAN post, the transfer speed is around 35Mb/sec. Realistically I won't be able to achieve that wirelessly, right?

Adrian

wifila

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Depending on the router and the channel size you should be able to archive greater speeds than 35Mbps using 802.11N...We have seen over 100Mbps using Ruckus Wireless hardware. However you are right. On the lower end consumer grade routers you may only achieve speeds of about 50Mbps or less so bumping the NAS to a GigE port shouldn't make much of a difference.