Does my 9800 GT have sufficient Power?

kamale

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi guys a few hours ago i went out and just bought myself an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT the one with 1gb DDR3 memory. So ok i installed it and stuff and i noticed that whenever i run ok example when i run warhammer, sometimes its able to run sometimes it can't it gets all pixelated and lines everywhere and everything hangs.

Another game that i tried running but can't seem to even get in is Half Life 2. The moment it enters the menu screen everything gets pixelated. I have no idea why. I tried all sorts of stuff but still to no avail. Left 4 Dead seems fine for some reason. Rappelz online is fine only in window mode. I'll put my specs below for you guys to share some answers alright thanks so much guys.

Power Supply: Dell N375P-00 (I'm very bad with identifying power supplies)
http://www.impactcomputers.com/n375p-00.html#

PC Specs:
2.4ghz Intel core 2 duo
4gb DDR2 667mhz Kingston ram
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 1gb DDR3

kamale

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Oh also adding on i have already upgraded my drivers to the latest versions. I don't wanna have to bring my PC back all the way to the shop can some1 help me out please. I really am getting frustrated so much money and still no performance :(

Could be a driver issue. It's either that or your PSU is becoming very inconsistent when a high demand is placed on it. If you had a Radeon card in there before then you could have all sorts of problems. Anyway first, if you have any onboard video make sure to go into the BIOS and dissable it and uninstall it's windows drivers in the add/remove panel. Next Uninstall your current video drivers and download driver cleaner pro. Boot into safe mode and use driver cleaner pro to remove any traces of previous drivers and their settings. Finally reboot and install new drivers.

kamale

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009

Alright i'm about to try that. Will update once done.

Anyway if you still have problems with the above you may want to do a clean install of windows, after backing up your data of course, to be sure it's not just a faulty windows installation. If all that fails then the next step is to replace the power supply. Usually if you have a weak power supply and the video card draws too much juice then either the power supply activates it's protection and shuts down, or the power supply blows. I should have mentioned first that if you hear any sort of whine or strange noises from the PSU, then you should replace it ASAP. If not, then it's possible the PSU is fine and you just have a driver problem.

kamale

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Ok just did a test, the driver cleaner helped. Now what happens is ok when windows starts i launch "Half Life 2", game runs smoothe at max settings. So i play for like 5mins then i quit and launch "Half Life 2 Episode two", game launches and gets pixelated same back at square one. No idea why. So i restart my com and launch "Half Life 2 Episode two" straight away. Game runs fine, i set it at max graphics and play it for like 30 mins or so then everything gets pixelated. The pixelation is like vertical lines purplish squarish vertical lines accross my screen. I guess its power supply? Some people telling me i should get a 450w - 500w PSU. What you think guys?