Mobo / AS5 etc last minute HELP

manuboy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi, im in need of some last minute random Q assistance so I can finish off my build. I will try to be as clear as possible. Keep in mind this is my first build..Im trying my best to get through this. Thanks to anyone who reads this/helps.

The Questions:

1.My x power pro 600 power supply is *here* . It states that it is a 12v. My motherboard manual talks about the ATX 12v 2x4 as well as the 12v 2x12 power connectors and how they need to be connected to power the CPU or the computer wont start.

* Do I need to hook both the 2x4 and the 2x12 up or just either or?

* Furthermore, my psu has like this 2x10 big connector thing, and then a 2x2 attached right beside it.. Together this would make a 2x12... Are these 2 cords what I need to stick into the 2x12 slot? It fits...

If I do need to plug both the ATX 2x12 AND 2x4; well....
* My psu does not have a 2x4 cord, but it does have a 2x3.. So if I put the 2x3 into the 2x4, there are 2 holes left over.. Im assuming it doesnt belong there?

Similarly to the 2x10 and 2x2 cords attached near eachother, this 2x3 cord has a 2x1 attached right by it, but the 2x1 does not fit in the remaining holes...

Hope that was not confusing, very important question.. If perhaps i connect something wrong and try to turn it on will my computer be destroyed?

2. When applying Acrtic Silver 5 to an amd CPU, should it be sort-of see through or did I apply it way too thin? (I can still see the words written on the CPU). Should i apply it a bit thicker? And if so, can I just put it on top of what I already did or do I need to take it off and freshly reapply?

3. Would I be able to hear sound through my monitor that has speakers on it if I do not have any type of sound card set up? My antec nine hundred case does have an hd_audio cord I plugged in to the mobo for the headphones but no speaker type thing or sound card, would i still be able to hear sound with headphones plugged in? If I need a sound card to hear sound through my monitor speakers, what type should I get that is compatible with my mobo? Im on a tight budget, dont need anything fancy..

*my mobo can be seen here*

4. I am using a dark knight cpu cooler in an antec nine hundred case. For those familiar with this case setup.. should the dark knight fan be facing down towards the bottom of the case, or should it be facing up directly beneath the "big boy" fan at the top of the case?

--------
Thanks for any help I would appreciate it very very much.

manuboy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi. Thanks for the response.

I did read the AS5 manual, googled for info etc before I even posted here. I'm still left with the question. Is it supposed to be thin do it's a bit see through or did I apply it way too thin?

The dark knight with antec case set up does not allow for the fan to mount left or right. It goes either up or down. Down facing the bottom , or up ditectly head to head with the " big boy fan" on top of the case. So you're saying I face it up towards the top case fan? Wish I could take a pic of this

Still very very confused about the mobo/psu power wires but can't say much until I can get on a computer and not this mobile device. What your talking about doesn't seem like my mobo/psu unless I'm completely overlooking something

Thanks!

According to the specs on newegg, your PSU has a 4+4 CPU power connector. It will be two separate 4-pin connectors that can be hooked together and plugged into the 8-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard. It should hook together just like the 20+4 connector did.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
From the page for your Power Supply
Connectors
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4+4Pin)

Notice the one I underlined, That's what goes here:

(Click to enlarge)

Your PSU has all of the plugs needed to connect to your motherboard.

As for the AS5, do the grain and a half of rice method mentioned on the site Oceanian linked to. Then put the heatsink on, twist slightly in both directions.
Once the heatsink is properly mounted, grasp the heatsink and very gently twist it slightly clockwise and counterclockwise one time each if possible (Just one or two degrees or so).

And remember:
From AS5 Instructions
Since the vast majority of the heat from the core travels directly through the heat spreader, it is more important to have a good interface directly above the actual CPU core than it is to have the heat spreader covered with compound from corner to corner.

manuboy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Whew ok. My mobo says " MA79OGP-UD4H" by gigabyte

Can't check if I linked to the wrong one cause I'm on mobile device

I apologize I was calling the connectors of PSU wrong. I see on the box that yes there is a 8 pin (4+4) 12v connector. The problem is... It does NOT fit. One of the 4 pin ones does but not the other

I notice the PSU box says," for ATX12V v.2.2". For version 2.2?? I don't think my mobo is version 2.2. Is this the problem??

I did however plug in the 24 pin (20+4) connector to the mobo. It's the one that fit. Is this sufficient since the ATX11v 8pin does NOT fit?

You will need at least 4 of the 8 pins plugged in. The 8-pin connector on the motherboard powers the CPU. Your computer will not post without power to it. Your motherboard owners manual should tell you which pins to use if you only have a 4-pin connector. It's usually the 4 pins closest to the CPU, but don't take my word on it. I still have a hard time believing the 8-pin connector won't work. That's what it's designed for. Can you swap the connectors around and move the plug on the left to the right? Look closely at the connectors on both the PSU and motherboard. You will notice they are keyed so they will only fit one way.

manuboy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
The BIGGEST cord I have is the 24 pin. I plugged it into the mobo

Now, the 8 pin connector is by way of two 4pins. Got that. One of the 4 pins fits. The others are the wrong shapes and won't go in

Someone posted a photo. I do see that on my mobi. The white 8 pin thing. The top row has square house-shape, house-shape, square. Bottom row is opposite. No chord I have matches up with that combination.... I'm not crazy. Wish I could take pic to prove it