DVD Drive missing from windows xp

psylentbaba

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello,
suddenly the dvd drive is missing from thelist of drives. When i insert any cd/dvd in the drive its not autoplayed. the cd is not even detected. i had virtual drive installed which showed up. i uninstalled the virtual drive still the cd drive is missing. Even the usb drive doesn't show up!! plz help

Is the drive showing up in device manager ?
Update the driver, or delete it and reboot and new hardware should be detected, and drivers installed.

psylentbaba

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
NO !! the drive is not in device manager even after activatin hidden devices. also there is no upper and lower filters....in regedit. USB is working fine now. But still problem with dvd drive. the drive has power supply as the tray opens. the drive doesn't even show in BIOS setup Screen. :pfff:

HELP !!!

Give this a try:

What you need to do is download and install Daemon Tools for free, then use it to mount a virtual (fake) CD drive. Then go to device manager, and you will see that the CD/DVD drive category has re-appeared for the fake drive. Select this category and scan for new devices. Your original CD/DVD drive should reappear on my computer and device manager. Enjoy!

ps: Responding "NO!" indicates your are shouting !