heyjoep

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I have a Seagate Portable drive/500gb. When I am trying to access files when loading album artwork for my iTunes music that is on external drive I get a "Write Delayed Failed" error. I also get this error if I try to copy files onto my C: drive. When I run a CHKDSK on the drive it just gets stuck on step 4 and then I get an I/O error from the external drive. I have also run SeaTools, the diagnostic tool for Seagate and it will not run the tests.
My entire world is on that drive. What can I do?

heyjoep

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Specifically the message says: "Cannot copy "file" The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
Then a Yellow triangle comes up at the taskbar and says: Windows Delayed Write Failed - Windows was unable to save all the data for the file E:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

heyjoep

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
UPDATE: It is a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive 320gb. I can explore the contents of the drive and play the videos or music and read the documents or browse the pictures. All data is accessible. It is just when I try to copy or cut files from the external to my C drive or vice-versa that i get the above errors. This is a problem of course when I choose to send this in for repair/replacement (still under warranty) because I will not be able to off load all my data before sending it in.

heyjoep

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I have run the SeaTools for Windows application to test the drive.
Results:

Short Drive Self Test = FAIL
Long Drive Self Test = FAIL
Short Generic = FAIL
Long Generic = I did not run this because it says that I might lose data if I runt his and I cannot back-up the data anywhere due to the issues mentioned.

What can I possibly do? I cannot even get an RMA # to display if I cannot get these tests to run. How can I return it without the RMA? or any way to offload the data?

heyjoep

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
This isn't what I am looking for but thanks for the reply. I chatted Seagate and they thought it might be a shorted out usb cord but I tried another cord and still get the same results/same errors. I can view my files on the external drive and listen to the music files and watch the movie files but if I try to copy any of them I get the I/O error message and Delayed write message listed in thread above.

What I need to know is what is the root of this inability to transfer files and is there anything I can do to fix it? Sea Tools is no help. Chkdsk is no help.

Worse comes to worse I will have to buy a Western Digital External drive and hope I can hook this bad drive up and transfer the files to it using a recovery software. If that does not work then I am screwed. I will have to send to a professional and probably spend a fortune to get the 120gb of irreplaceable data off my drive.

Any suggestions from anyone please??