BS4S

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello,
I'm getting rady to assemble a new computer. I want to install a heatsink and fan for mild overclock. I am using the following parts:
Case - Antec 300 illusion
Mobo - Asus P6X58D-E
CPU - i7 950
RAM - Corsair XMS3

I've been considering these two heatsinks:
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
Scythe Mugen2

Will they fit in the case? And will I be able to use all of the memory slots? I am hoing that someone has actual experience with this setup.

Solution
The Mugen 2 aka Scythe SCMG 2100 is the best bargain in the CPU cooler market. It comes in the top 3 in benchmarkreviews latest ranking .... underlined ones were the top 3

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=563&Itemid=62

Top Performers (1st tier)

* Prolimatech Megahalems
* Thermalright Venomous-X RT
* Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100)

* ProlimaTech Super Mega
* Cogage Arrow
* ProlimaTech Armageddon
* Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
* Cogage TRUE Spirit
* Xigmatek Balder SD1283
* SilenX Effizio EFZ-120HA4
* Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ

Highly Recommended (2nd tier)

* Noctua NH-D14
* Zalman CNPS10X-Performa
* Coolink Corator-DS Heatsink...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
The mugen2 is better of the two... but these coolers are in middle pecking in order of performance... For your cpu i would rather go for a top end cooler in the range of around $80 like NH D14 or Silver Arrow... You could also try Tuniq Tower Extreme 120 for $60... these all are top notch proven coolers...

And yes they will fit in the case (205mm width is enough) and will clear the memory and the mobo heatsinks...

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
There was recently an article about the intelligence of buying a cpu cooler so expensive, you might as well buy a better cpu. The result was that it's best to buy a 30-35 dollar cooler instead of an expensive one. The bigger the better, usually, but having the heatpipes touching the cpu directly is a good thing to look for in getting a good cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This:
...about the intelligence of buying a cpu cooler so expensive, you might as well buy a better cpu. The result was that it's best to buy a 30-35 dollar cooler instead of an expensive one...

and this:

For a "mild overclock," there is no need to spend lots of money on a cooler. I'd look for a 120mm fan for lowest noise, but any of the direct-touch coolers should do. The Hyper 212+ is only $30.

In most cases a mild overclock will be fine on the stock cooler...depending on what you consider 'mild'.

BS4S

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thank you very much for your response. I was trying to pick a "middle of the road" heat sink and fan at least in cost. You make a good point in your suggestion of going more to the top end of performance for not a lot more money. It may be smart to err on the safe side. It would also give me more room for overclocking should I decide to go higher. I will take a look at all of your recommendations. Thanks again.

BS4S

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for your responses. I'm a novice at building a PC. I'm sure that your a more aware of the cost of upgrading the CPU to the next level of I7's than I am. For the cost of that step up, I could buy several heatsinks. I started out looking at less expensive heatsinks. One of which was the Hyper 212+. I know that it will fit in the case, but I'm not sure about it interfering with the memory slots. Perhaps one of you could confirm this. I started out trying to find a good balance of performance and cost. That is how I came up with the two heatsinks I checked out. I guess my theory was that with the high cost of these CPU's it would be better to be safe than sorry. I appreciate your suggestions on what to look for in a less expensive heatsink. I will try to see if I can figure out if the Hyper 212+ will clear the memory slots. I thank you all for your comments.

The Mugen 2 aka Scythe SCMG 2100 is the best bargain in the CPU cooler market. It comes in the top 3 in benchmarkreviews latest ranking .... underlined ones were the top 3

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=563&Itemid=62

Top Performers (1st tier)

* Prolimatech Megahalems
* Thermalright Venomous-X RT
* Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100)

* ProlimaTech Super Mega
* Cogage Arrow
* ProlimaTech Armageddon
* Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
* Cogage TRUE Spirit
* Xigmatek Balder SD1283
* SilenX Effizio EFZ-120HA4
* Titan FENRIR TTC-NK85TZ

Highly Recommended (2nd tier)

* Noctua NH-D14
* Zalman CNPS10X-Performa
* Coolink Corator-DS Heatsink
* CoolAge CA-X120TF Wind Tunnel
* Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme
* Thermolab BARAM
* Xigmatek Thor's Hammer S126384
* Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000 Cooler
* Noctua NH-U12P
* Cooler Master V6 GT Heatsink
* Thermaltake Contac-29 CLP0568
* Zalman CNPS10X-Qui

I generally call Antec with any fit questions before undertaking any build I have questions on.

Solution

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Happy New Year to everyone... my first post of the year...

@ Jack - The author of that article had this to say "These heatsinks are suggested based on quality, value, and cooling potential"... i guess its not purely on performance alone but more like cost/performance ratio... and he also said he didnt receive silver arrow on time for the tests...

Anyway my point is if you are willing to spend that few extra dollars then why not go for the best which will give you good overhead in any future operations... The range for good coolers are in between $40-80... its the cost of having a extra large pizza...

@BS4S - The i7 9XX series processors are high voltage cpu which generate more heat than others like i5 or i3 or Phenom or Athlon... your choice of Hyper 212+ (i love that cooler for its performance value) is not recommended for the processor you have since it has difficulty in dissipating heat quicker... As i said earlier its a question of a few dollars more...

BS4S

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thank you for your comments, Jack and abully. I did a little investigating of the Scythe Mugen 2. What I found is that it will fit in my case and it will cover the first memory slot. The slot will be usable with a low profile DDR 3 memory module, which I have. So with a little online shopping I was able to buy the Mugen 2 at a cost that is less that $7 above the Hyper 212+. It was a pretty easy decision at that point. Thanks to all who responded to my first post on this forum. I'm really greatful for all of the experience and expertise that is here. I will certainly be seeking advice in the future.