Ram problem

Solution
Yes, memory remapping should be enabled. I'm beginning to think this is a potential hardware problem... give MemTest86+ a shot and see if it turns up any errors.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Using Asus Sabertooth mobo and 5770 Gigabyte GPU.

Called MS support landy says its supposed to be like this...it only started like this 1-2 days ago and she failed at explaning it in English.
I also did a complete repartition/wipe of HDD and reinstalled windows....still the same...Normal?

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Memory remapping IS enabled in my bios. Shouldn't it be on? Should I turn it off? Now both Windows and CPUZ says I have 4gb but Windows just says only 1.9gb is usable, So could one of my sticks still be bad although it reads them both? Should I run memtest? As I said this just started 2-3 days ago and it said plainly 4gb before. I called MS and she could not explain to me why this just started but told me it was normal, but do note they aren't the greatest techs. What bothers me is that I did a complete repartition and its still the same.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Seeing as how repartition didn't so anything, I seem to think it is hardware related aswell. I will run memtest86 as soon as I got home, for how long should I run it? I will post back here when done. I will mention this though, I did install my Titan Fenrir heatsink on Saturday and the way my mobo is, the fan is completely smashed up against the ram, being in the second slot already. I am positive the ram is fully in the slot, though it may not be straight. I took the ram out once and reseated it. This could be the problem? I do not know if Windows read it at 1.99gb before or after installing this, I had the stock one on before it.

Really appreciate your help.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

This girl needs a promotion. Telling every caller that 'this is the way it should work' thus putting ownership of the problem (which of course now only exists in your head, because apparently Microsoft designed it this way) back on the user has increased call-center efficiency by 521%

BRAVO!

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Haha yeah, I know she was straight up lying to me because when I asked why was it not like this 2 days she continued to explain that it is how Win 7 is designed. All she did was look at my Resource Monitor and tell me it uses more ram when it is needed, thats how its designed!

Unfortunately Microsoft's first level phone support usually does fail hard. Glad to hear it got sorted though!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
lol @jay.

i noticed sonic booms avatar a couple days ago. for a second i thought he'd stolewn mine.

apparently we have the same case. scary how similar our piccies look.

@prophecy, whats funny is microsofts xbox supports is second to none. ive dealt with them multiple times and found them incredbly helpful and kind. how is the windows support so different?...

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
^^
I actually had to call Xbx CS on Friday aswell, the lady there was dumb too. I told her exactly everything she needed to know(pwr brick was burnt up, established by xbx.com trblshter) and it still took her 20 mins to answer my question of : what do I need to send it, because xbox.com doesn't say.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
really?

ive had two RRODs (seperate machines) and a general system breakage. all 3 times theyve been brilliant. one of the systems, which i bought second hand out of warranty, they offered to fix for free anyways, just because id had 3 xboxes break. i found they had alot of crap theyh ad to go thru (have you checked its plugged in? etc..)
but once they get that done they are very nice.