Help! GPU overheating?

gwendal

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Hey all. Been having a problem for awhile now, where my screen turns a solid color (green, violet, grey, etc.) and I have to reboot to fix it. I can still hear sound when it turns to the color, and I think I can interact with whatever is going on. It happens most often during games, and sometimes rarely when I'm just using the desktop/surfing. I am running:

GPU: EVGA 8800 GTS 320
CPU: E6420 2.13 Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Mem: 4 Gigs Patriot DDR2 800

I know the 8 series was supposed to run hot, so I use RivaTuner to keep the gpu's fan cranked all the time, and I don't think the core temp goes past 67-68.

I don't get why it keeps doing this, my guess is the card thinks it's overheating and shutting down. I was hoping that the first card would keep me good for 2 years (built in Sep. 07'). Is it a video card problem or something else (mobo, cpu, etc.)? I am willing to replace it if there is something faulty, but I want to make sure the problem is the GPU and not something else.

Establish a baseline first: Reset your BIOS to defaults and undo any overclocking. Check the temperatures, please do not guess.
It may be many other things but also tell us your PSU: Maker, model and Amps on the +12v output or putputs.

gwendal

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Nothing is overclocked (never got around to it). PSU is Corsair HX520 - shouldn't be any problems there. I know the temp maxes out at about 67-68 because I've jumped to the desktop during full load in games and RivaTuner reads it as that.

OK, that seems to be a nice baseline.
You do not say the screen is artifacting (producing strange coloured lines or missing/corrupted textures in games).
Check your CPU temperature, verify the fan is working and the heatsink is not bocked. Take a look at the PSU intake as well, it could be blocked and causing the PSU to overheat. Finally, run with the minimum of memory to test each stick at a time as I suspect this might be the most likely problem.

gwendal

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007

Checked internals of computer, was a bit dirty but nothing was clogged and airflow was good. Checked each memory stick separately with memtest and to see if the computer would boot. Everything passed.

gwendal

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Okay well, it happened again in the middle of a game. I found out that while I do still have sound after it occurs, it's only the music - I don't hear any sound effects and can't interface with a menu or give commands, etc.