Sign in with
Your question

HD enclosure w/different Windows OS?

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2010 9:23:42 PM

I bought a new computer with Windows 7. I transferred the files I really needed from my old computer (Windows something- I forgot). I want to put the old hard drive in a hard drive enclosure (external) and plug it in to my new computer to access the files when I need to. Since they have different operating systems (they are both still MS Windows), will this work? Will I be able to view the files (esp certain old emails) from the old hard drive using my new computer w/Windows 7?
Also, can someone recommend a good external hard drive enclosure?

Thanks,
paul

More about : enclosure windows

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 11, 2010 11:32:16 PM

You should be able to view the files on the external disk without problems with Windows 7. The e-mails may be a bit more difficult as you will have to import all of the e-mails into your e-mail client on the Windows 7 machine.
m
l
November 12, 2010 12:54:36 AM

I won't be able to open the email program on the old hard drive and view the old emails?

Thanks,
paul
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2010 4:18:29 AM

I won't be able to open the email program on the old hard drive and view the old emails?

m
l
a b G Storage
November 12, 2010 4:44:46 AM

For Hard Disk enclosure try this link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Regarding your old emails - You should have an email client program that will handle this for you to view them - like for example MS Outlook. If you refer to just bunch of files (photos, text files, movies) you downloaded from specific site like yahoo.com or gmail.com yes you can view them under Windows 7.
m
l
!