Sign in with
Your question

HTPC HDMI Graphics and Audio Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2009 8:39:37 PM

I'm thinking about building an HTPC with an ASUS motherboard, AMD Phenom Processor, and a Blu-Ray drive. But I definitely want to have an HDMI video card. An HDMI video card isn't terribly hard to find, but I want to make sure that I am able to use the audio through the HDMI output just like I would with an ordinary DVD player, PS3 or XBOX 360. Is this possible? If so, would the video card connect to a sound card or motherboard with onboard audio or is there a video card that somehow provides its own audio? Or if I'm completely on the wrong track with this, what's the right way to go about it? By the way, I'd be planning to use this with a regular LCD HDTV with Multiple HDMI inputs.
April 30, 2009 8:59:55 PM

Do you intend to use an A/V receiver for surround sound?

I am using a Pioneer A/V receiver and had nothing but issues running the HDMI through the receiver and then to the TV. Now I am using the HDMI for video only to the TV and toslink to the receiver for audio. Running straight to the TV using HDMI for both video and sound I did not have any issues.

You might run into a few issues with the Blu-Ray drive. I ran the Blu-Ray Advisor by CyberLink which kept telling me that the video connection is Digital (without HDCP). My video card and the TV are compliant but something must be going wrong with the handshake and I still have not figured it out.

Hope this helps.

BTW you will want to check out for alot of information on HTPC.
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2009 9:04:26 PM

NVIDIA can passthrough using its HDMI out when connected via Spdif to the motherboard, while ATI has its own audio processing.
Related resources
April 30, 2009 10:24:29 PM

Yeah, the ATi has a built in 5.1 or 7.1 sound chip while you'll have to have SPDIF passthrough to the card from the motherboard on Nvidia's.
May 1, 2009 5:17:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the ATi has a built in 5.1 or 7.1 sound chip while you'll have to have SPDIF passthrough to the card from the motherboard on Nvidia's.

Yeah this is a boon and a curse. The boom is you get HDMI audio w/o any effort oro work. The curse is that to use my Auzentech Prelude instead of the ATI on card sound I had to disable the HDMI audio that shows up in your multimedia device list, otherwise it'd shift back and forth between my card and the hdmi audio depending on what I was doing (ie music played through azuntech, tv from haupegge went through hdmi).
!