Help Needed - Anyone else using Antec 902 and CM V8?

mr0000000000

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Hello all,

I got my parts in, built the system and everything is working great... except for one small detail. When I went to put the side panel of my Antec 902 on, it will not close all the way without putting pressure on / shifting my heatsink (Cooler Master V8).

I just wanted to see if anyone else has this configuration and see what they modded to get the case to close completely. I'm not able to tell where things are contacting, but I'm thinking I can either trim off some of the fan housing on the V8 (the plastic panel that says 'V8' on it) or modify the side panel of my case - just wanna know what someone else with this configuration did.

Right now I can close the case, securing things with the bottom thumb screw and the top lip of the side panel sticking out slightly, but I don't like my new machine being jerry-rigged like that.

Thanks for your help,

James

G

the only thing i can think of is that the mobo isn't correctly attached to the case or the heatsink isn't correctly attached to the mobo. i have the 900 case and it's smaller but i have at least a quarter or half of an inch clearance.

mr0000000000

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
the only thing i can think of is that the mobo isn't correctly attached to the case or the heatsink isn't correctly attached to the mobo. i have the 900 case and it's smaller but i have at least a quarter or half of an inch clearance.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm pretty experienced in building computers (10+ years, 25ish systems). Incorrectly mounting a motherboard is hard to imagine - standoffs and screws are pretty simple and definitely obvious if it isn't done right.

Heatsinks can be a bit more of a trip up (I've never mounted one incorrectly before), but I can say that it is effectively cooling the processor - 22c in bios readings, 30c while running memtest this morning (I know that doesn't stress the CPU but it does put some load on it). Is it possible to incorrectly mount a V8 and still have it cool effectively?

Looking at everything, I can pretty much guarantee that motherboard and heatsink have been correctly installed. It seems like the side-fan bracket or the plexiglass that it's mounted on are rubbing up against the fan casing on the heatsink (just barely, but enough for me to not comfortably close the case and put the top thumb-screw in).

Anyone out there have this specific configuration?

Here's a few quotes from the newegg reviews:

"I had to flip the whole side fan setup around because my coolermaster V8 wouldn't allow it to co-exist in the case. No problem though."

"The big boy fan at the top of the unit is very close to my V8 heatsink on an evga x58 motherboard. There could be a problem if you had a larger heatsink. My V8 fits safely."

"I was able to fit the Coolermaster V8 (had to trim a tiny bit off protruding plasitc fan casing on the side, not a problem). "