Windows 7 OEM hard drive failure retrieval?

adam873873

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
So Im building a new computer and I was wondering.. If you install windows 7 OEM ( professional 64 bit to be exact ) and your hard drive fails would you be able to reactivate your windows 7 product key?..

Also, If you do a system backup can you also backup your OS? and can you do that into an external drive? Im paranoid about when my drive DOES fail in my new build that I'll have to purchase a new copy of Windows 7.. What precautions can I take to avoid this? thanks

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
You might have to activate Windows 7 again if:
* You uninstall Windows 7 on one computer and then install it on another. During installation, enter the product key that came with Windows. If automatic activation fails, follow the instructions that walk you through activating Windows by phone. You will have 30 days to activate Windows.
* If you install Windows 7 on a second computer, you must buy an additional product key number to activate the second installation to continue using Windows 7 on both computers.
* You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you will be notified and will have three days to activate Windows.
* You reformat your hard disk. Reformatting erases your activation status. In this case, you’ll have 30 days to activate Windows again.
* A virus or malware infects your computer and deletes your activation status.