Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Move to AMD smart?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 14, 2009 7:01:18 AM

Would switching to an AMD setup now be a smart move? I want to upgrade and use my current C2D cpu / board in another build, so I'm thinking that picking a new socket might help me upgrade more easily in the future. While I know the Phenom II x4 955 is getting beat by the Q9550, if I switched to an AM3 socket I would be able to get tri channel ram (is this true? After some forum searching it's looking like AM3 boards can't do tri channel...only Intel's i7 socket boards can), DDR3 and an actual upgrade path for the next two or so years.

Is this worth switching to, or should I buy another 775 board and a Q9550? My current DS3R only has PCI-e x16, so I could buy a cheap board and get 2.0.

I would love to get an i7 setup, but I don't have the funds right now. On the flip side, a cpu + mobo + ram switch might put me in the price range of an i7 build.

Current rig specs are -

C2D E4400
Gigabyte DS3R (rev. 1.0)
2gb (2x1gb DDR2 800)
HD 4870 1gb
Fortron 500w


Thanks!

EDIT: After browsing through newegg I have a question. Do some mobos only take Phenom II x4s, or would those boards take any kind of AM3 socket cpu? If the latter is correct, then two years from now I would have to buy a new mobo again when they moved on to x5, etc. That isn't right, is it?

More about : move amd smart

July 14, 2009 7:43:09 AM

Another option would be to get a new AM3 board now, as they can be had for less than $100. My $.02

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$80 Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$120 Phenom II 720 (can unlock the 4th core after a BIOS flash)
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$65 G.Skill DDR3 1333 2x2GB
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$50 OCZ 500W

or you can upgrade your current rig, and run it for a while.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$200 C2Q Q6600 (older, but still good)
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$47 OCZ Blade DDR2 800 2x2GB
PSU: same as above.
July 14, 2009 8:31:50 AM

People don't need quads, expensive, or end of life systems.

AM3 is new, still rolling out and will be until at least end of 2010.

You don't need to go broke to have a good pc.

Peripherals fit everywhere, any brand. You only need focus on cpu, mobo, ram, video.

cpu
Phenom II 550BE or 720BE

mobo
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P

ram
2x2 gigs = 4 gigs DDR3

vid
ATI Radeon HD-4850

PSU
600 w or higher for future upgrade potential. (700w)

= THE other question you asked is about socket AM2+ mobos. AM3 cpu's are backwards compatible with socket am2 mobos, so the am3 cpu will work there too and use ddr2 ram. but a sok am3 mobo will not accept an am2 cpu. so am3 cpu will work in either am3 mobo or am2 mobo. (am3 cpu's have a dual IMC mem controller that will use either ram).

The future in AMD hardware is all AM3. You could buy a sys cheap with am2 parts; but soon you would be in same situation you are now - except for the angle that am3 cpu will work in am2+ socket. So it is better to go for AM3 PARTS.

I am planning to buy same sys I outlined above. w a Ph II 550 Black Edition dual core cpu.

That's the basics.

AMD does not use triple channel ram. It is not needed either. It helps if you realistically assess your personal needs - what you really need for your real world computing needs.

people don't need ......... i7 .... people think they need that. what you need is a decent videocard and 4 gigs ram.

You can use some parts from your old system.
case, psu, hdd, etc. peripherals.

hope this helps get you started on your research.


I also hope this does not become an idiot flamewar. :) 
Related resources
July 14, 2009 9:18:11 AM

+1

I got something like the above, with the 720BE OCed @3.5GHz,
but a GTS 250 nvidia instead. Snappy system in everything
with no problems whatsoever. Huge value for money!


a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2009 1:37:04 PM

tomste2300 said:
Would switching to an AMD setup now be a smart move?


Yes. Both from a price and performance standpoint.


Quote:
While I know the Phenom II x4 955 is getting beat by the Q9550, if I switched to an AM3 socket I would be able to get tri channel ram (is this true? After some forum searching it's looking like AM3 boards can't do tri channel...only Intel's i7 socket boards can), DDR3 and an actual upgrade path for the next two or so years.



The PhIIs preform quite well against against the Core 2 Quads - don't know where you heard otherwise. For the most part "tri-channel" ain't all that


Quote:
.... should I buy another 775 board and a Q9550? My current DS3R only has PCI-e x16, so I could buy a cheap board and get 2.0.


No. If gaming is your thing buy a 720BE and an AM3 790(G)(F)X. If you can wait a month or so AMD should have a new chipset under great anticipation (the new sb800 still 'on' for late summer ??) which may further drive down current prices on AM3 motherboards.

PCIe Gen2 is not a magic pathway to gaming nirvana however you may see a boost of 5-10% in certain situations - primarily at higher resolutions (let's say 19x12 and up) with multiple video cards in highly textured games.


Quote:
I would love to get an i7 setup, but I don't have the funds right now. On the flip side, a cpu + mobo + ram switch might put me in the price range of an i7 build.


That's not going to happen. An AM3 motherboard, microprocessor and DDR3 will cost less in total than the i7 cpu itself.


Quote:
.... Do some mobos only take Phenom II x4s, or would those boards take any kind of AM3 socket cpu? If the latter is correct, then two years from now I would have to buy a new mobo again when they moved on to x5, etc. That isn't right, is it?


AMD AM3 microprocessors have both a DDR2 and DDR3 integrated memory controller (for the time being) and will work (for the most part) in any AM2+ (DDR2) motherboard and (almost) all AM3 (DDR3) motherboards (some may require a BIOS update).


What you need is a budget and a plan. I would suggest it include designs in Crossfiring your HD4870 (before they all disappear). So. What initial investment do you want to make ?? How much money do you want to spend ??



a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 1:58:54 PM

The DS3R is a good overclocker and can support a decent FSB stable.

Consider pushing the E4400 on a good overclock in the short term to decrease the CPU bound effect on some of your games.

A single 4870 on a PCIE 16 lane bus isn't a significant issue ... the cpu is more likely the current problem for you.

That mobo will also support either a cheap 65nm quad (Q6600 / 6700 if you can find one and overclock it) or a Q9450 / 9550 ... I don't like the lower level "Celeron" quads personally.

A small overclock on one of the above quads - getting slightly above 3Ghz will give you a much improved experience.

I'd also consider getting 2 more 1 Gb sticks of cheap RAM now ... top it up to 4Gb.

Cheap solution in the short term for you - 4 sticks should be stable if you don't push them too hard.

Keep old E4400 for a great little HTPC ...

Alternative is a new SLI LGA775 board for a 45nm quad and a second 4870 or going to i7 and having to get DDR3 RAM (3 sticks of 2GB) a decent mobo and a 920.

I'd be worried the extra expense wouldn't be worth it in terms of being much faster than a fast LGA775 based quad ...

So I suggest you try to push the old dear a bit harder and get the most out of it.

Have a look at the E4400 overclock posts - use search.


a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 2:06:09 PM


Quote:
if I switched to an AM3 socket I would be able to get tri channel ram (is this true? After some forum searching it's looking like AM3 boards can't do tri channel...only Intel's i7 socket boards can)


Only the Intel chip does triple channel memory. But for desktop applications, you wouldn't notice the difference.



Quote:
That's not going to happen. An AM3 motherboard, microprocessor and DDR3 will cost less in total than the i7 cpu itself.


This statement is overblown - An i7 920 is in the mid $200's, and from a performance perspective will handily trounce a PHII in any CPU benchmark you care to name. This is another topic that has been done to death. Sure - You could buy a cheap POS board for $50, cheap RAM, bottom trawl to find a PHII on sale and get something that works. But you end up with a cheap computer that performs much less well and will need replacing sooner than if you had simply bought a quality setup to begin with.

Price does not necessarily equal value.


And speaking of price/value: For the OP - IMHO, your current setup is perfectly good. If you must have a new processor, you could also simply buy a Yorktown or Wolfdale and keep everything else you have. For a gamer, I'd recommend an E8400 - roughly $170 at Newegg. Or your could overclock your current rig.... FOR FREE. And particularly to a gaming situation, I do not see where changing to AMD (or anything, to be honest) is going to buy you much. At most, you may want a second GPU in Crossfire if you play demanding games at higher resolutions.


Alternatively - Just like any other point in the history of the Industry, both companies have new products in the pipeline. Interesting stuff, too - PCI controller directly on the CPU, etc...


What I would recommend is WAIT. Save Your Money. Overclock if you need. Think about a new build later this year.
July 14, 2009 2:46:17 PM

Wisecracker said:
Yes. Both from a price and performance standpoint.


Quote:
While I know the Phenom II x4 955 is getting beat by the Q9550, if I switched to an AM3 socket I would be able to get tri channel ram (is this true? After some forum searching it's looking like AM3 boards can't do tri channel...only Intel's i7 socket boards can), DDR3 and an actual upgrade path for the next two or so years.



The PhIIs preform quite well against against the Core 2 Quads - don't know where you heard otherwise. For the most part "tri-channel" ain't all that


Quote:
.... should I buy another 775 board and a Q9550? My current DS3R only has PCI-e x16, so I could buy a cheap board and get 2.0.


No. If gaming is your thing buy a 720BE and an AM3 790(G)(F)X. If you can wait a month or so AMD should have a new chipset under great anticipation (the new sb800 still 'on' for late summer ??) which may further drive down current prices on AM3 motherboards.

PCIe Gen2 is not a magic pathway to gaming nirvana however you may see a boost of 5-10% in certain situations - primarily at higher resolutions (let's say 19x12 and up) with multiple video cards in highly textured games.


Quote:
I would love to get an i7 setup, but I don't have the funds right now. On the flip side, a cpu + mobo + ram switch might put me in the price range of an i7 build.


That's not going to happen. An AM3 motherboard, microprocessor and DDR3 will cost less in total than the i7 cpu itself.


Quote:
.... Do some mobos only take Phenom II x4s, or would those boards take any kind of AM3 socket cpu? If the latter is correct, then two years from now I would have to buy a new mobo again when they moved on to x5, etc. That isn't right, is it?


AMD AM3 microprocessors have both a DDR2 and DDR3 integrated memory controller (for the time being) and will work (for the most part) in any AM2+ (DDR2) motherboard and (almost) all AM3 (DDR3) motherboards (some may require a BIOS update).


What you need is a budget and a plan. I would suggest it include designs in Crossfiring your HD4870 (before they all disappear). So. What initial investment do you want to make ?? How much money do you want to spend ??


Regarding the following comment...

[That's not going to happen. An AM3 motherboard, microprocessor and DDR3 will cost less in total than the i7 cpu itself.]

Although I'm a long time amd faithful, I have to point out something. The Intel Core i7 920 Boxed Processor can be had for $200 plus tax at MicroCenter (stores only, not online). At that price, there is no way in hell a Phenom II CPU/MB/MEM together is going to cost under $200. Just my 2 cents.

-- MaSoP
July 14, 2009 3:01:41 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied already - I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions so far. Here's the deal:

My brother's computer died on him recently (an old AMD 3200 build), but his hd is fine. I have a new psu lying around that I never used, along with an 8600 GT that came out of my main rig when the 4870 came in. What I want to do is take the E4400, DS3R and ram and give them to him, then build myself a slightly better computer. Basically, this has given me a reason to continue upgrading. He just left for camp yesterday and will be gone for the week, and since he's wanted his computer fixed for a long time, I thought I'd surprise him when he got back.

I have Windows Vista 64-bit and would definitely like to bump my ram up to at least 4 gbs. I use my computer as a HTPC for my room (I have it hooked up hto my HDTV via HDMI), and game at both 1280x1024 and 1920x1080 (HDTV). I need a cpu that can keep up with my 4870. I especially liked the crossfire idea that somebody had, and will probably do that on down the road.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) The closest Microcenter is a couple of cities away, but it may be worth it to call them and see if they still have that deal going on.

2) How good is a 720BE, and does the fourth core unlock 100% of the time with the flash? What is the ghz on it?

3) I think I would like to stick to the AM3 socket if I went AMD, along with a AM3 only board. Would it be bad to go with a Phenom II x4 955, or is the price / performance not worth it?

3) Call me timid, but I've always been hesitant in overclocking my cpu, especially because I've never been fully confident in my knowledge on how to do it. I've read through the guides posted here and on the anandtech forums, but I've still been kind of confused.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 3:23:13 PM

Quote:
My brother's computer died on him recently (an old AMD 3200 build), but his hd is fine. I have a new psu lying around that I never used, along with an 8600 GT that came out of my main rig when the 4870 came in. What I want to do is take the E4400, DS3R and ram and give them to him, then build myself a slightly better computer. Basically, this has given me a reason to continue upgrading. He just left for camp yesterday and will be gone for the week, and since he's wanted his computer fixed for a long time, I thought I'd surprise him when he got back.





In that case, if it were me then I would simply buy my brother a new mobo and processor, and fix his rig.





....and then set it up so I can switch his monitor so it can be run off of *my* computer. Because it's an immutable Law Of Nature that you can't do anything for your brother without f*cking with him too... :D 
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 14, 2009 3:27:04 PM

Using the $200 MC *in-store* price is quite disingenuous for comparative purposes.

Asus 790GX AM3 / Phenom 550BE combo: $190

Today (July 14) Phenom 550BE combo took the place of the $190 Phenom 720BE combo at that price point (the 720BE combo went UP in price $25).

Throw in $65 worth of DDR3 1600 and the OP will be good to go on that Asus AM3 with 2xPCIe x16 slots, firewire and eSATA. Hardly a *cheap POS board*. The OP could throw in a second HD 4870 1Gb for Crossfire and come in around $400.

But that would be disingenuous on my part because he would also need a new OCZ power supply for $45 (with Promo Code EMCLVMR42) bringing his total investment to $450 or so.

Feel free to compare your i7 budget to that, gentlemen.


tomste2300 said:
~~~~

3) I think I would like to stick to the AM3 socket if I went AMD, along with a AM3 only board. Would it be bad to go with a Phenom II x4 955, or is the price / performance not worth it?




Strictly for gaming purposes any Phenom II Black Edition will OC to 3.3-3.6GHz (on stock volts and cooler) simply by increasing the CPU multiplier - performing equally for the most part.

The 720BE is a great chip. Here's what Anand had to say:

Quote:
The question we wanted to answer in this article, “Is the Phenom II X3 720BE an alternative to the Phenom II X4 940 for a mid-range gaming system featuring CrossFireX?” We have to enthusiastically answer with “Yes!” to that question based on our experiences with the games we tested today and several others offline.

In fact, we think it even compared well to the Q9550 in our gaming tests. The Phenom II X3 720BE does not match the performance of the X4 940 or Q9550 in application testing, but it is no slouch either, especially considering the $136 price tag and overclocking capabilities. Compared directly to the $215 X4 940, we think the X3 720BE is a better value if gaming is your priority. Sure, any performance differences might be greater with a GTX 295 or 4870X2 at 2560x1600 resolutions, but we are discussing the performance capabilities of mainstream processors and video cards at two of the most popular gaming resolutions today.

When it came to actual game play experiences, our opinions still have not changed when it comes to a choice between the Phenom II or Core 2 Quad. The Phenom II processors are a better choice in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts and Crysis Warhead due to fluidity of game play, especially with background tasks running or CPU utilization near 100%. In the four other titles, we could not tell any real differences in the quality of game play between the Phenom II X4 940, Phenom II X3 720BE, or Core 2 Quad Q9550.
July 14, 2009 4:17:23 PM

Wisecracker said:
Using the $200 MC *in-store* price is quite disingenuous for comparative purposes.


Insincere? For someone who chooses to change platforms and go with the Core i7 920, it would make most sense to get the best deal on the processor. If it comes down to driving 30 min or an hour to save $80, than so be it. I'd do it, if I was in that position. For me, the closest MicroCenter happens to be a 20 min drive away. He may choose to go with AMD instead of Intel.

In either case, this is all a matter of choice. There is no insincerity here, just suggestions and advice for someone who asked for it due to a computer problem that he has. I really don't think anyone here is trying to steer him the wrong way per se.

-- MaSoP
July 14, 2009 4:18:00 PM

The 955 quad clox @ 3.2. it's a BE Black Edition and oclox to near 4.
Soon 965 quad releases (August 13th) stockclok=3.4 - oclox 4ish

The Triple 720 BE clox 2.8 but oclox 3.6ish.

The Dual 550 BE clox 3.1 and oclox over 3.6 (max unknown, it's pretty new)


The unlock idea - there are no guarantees on that - it's a bonus that happens on certain mobos and certain bioses. The mobo I first mentioned supposedly does it - there is no guarantee on an unlock/quad. It's a get lucky thing - unless maybe you can play "buyer's remorse" (hahah) (not nice).
(Also, a bios update may undo or make impossible, and unlock - altho I heard Giga is moving to preserve it)

I somehow overlooked your 4870 - that's all you really need for video.

There are also Phenom II's without the Black Edition unlocked multiplier - and they are slightly cheaper - for people who will not be ocloxing. eg = 945, or 810 quads; the 710 triple; the 545 Dually.

There are many options already in the AM3 releases - and more coming.

That new chipset series that was mentioned won't be until Fall 09.

Googles will get lots of info - see websites at Legit Reviews, amdzone K10-forum, 3dGuru, and esp. Lost Circuits (best reviews)
Also cruising newegg, etc. and scheming a design for a price.
It can be confusing screening out the AM2+ mobos from the AM3 mobos - but you get better at it - note [AM3 compatible] means using an AM2+ mobo with a back compat AM3 cpu - you want an [AM3 SOCKET mobo]. The AM2+ mobos are price dropping, and the cost under $200 is actually doable - but my argument is to go AM3 period. - that's the no limitations upgrade path thru 2010. But the AM2+ is doable - you decide - I am going AM3/DDR3. That new chipset lurking in the background this Fall/09 is also a temptation - it's mainly about little features, but might be about performance too, altho there are no indicators on performance boost yet.
AMD's performance is hooked into the Platform Approach - an all-AMD sys will perform better, smoother - somelike to add Nvidia cards - if so there are Nvidia chipset mobos available too - that's the alt-platform. The true Platform is AMD cpu w AMD/ATI chipset wAMD/ATI video - and with a 4800 series video, it's the Dragon Platform.

The X chipset I mentioned first is very similar to the FX chipset - FX is high perf, no onboard video , xfire capable, strong PWM/mosfet power handling, enthusiast level - and the Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P mimics that for 40% less cost roughly. It oclox if you want.

re Oclox - AMD'S "AOD" utility = "AMD Over Drive" makes oclox way too easy - esp. with Auto settings and a mouseclik slider. actually many settings available - but you can keep it real simple and oclox if you want to - Black Edition required.

Phenom II's run comparitively "cold" - unless you are extreme overclocking, you do not need aftermarket cooling. The stock cooler will take you to approx 3.5ish Ghz 24/7. HSF is included.

You can aftermarket lots of stuff anytime you are ready - that's a good way to plan a budget combined with the ongoing Upgrade Path. That's also what I will be doing. And that's why I want a 700ish PSU for possible future upgrades.
I want a dually to start, maybe a triple - and maybe later a quad which will come with a near 4ghz stock clock eventually. :)  /and who nows what other improvements - it keeps getting better. The 965 quad is going to be 3.4Ghz; what's next. It might have some other mods too. But a Dual Core 550BE is very attractive at 3.1 Ghz - and games are 2 threads max.
July 14, 2009 4:40:02 PM

"Feel free to compare your i7 budget to that, gentlemen".

Yeh, yeh. The spintel benchmarketing scene does not permit an AMD purchase. I could get nasty - but it's easier to stick to the actual facts - I know nobody who needs an i7 and unknown upgrade path at the hands of a monopoly who has been busted for antitrust globally 3 times PLUS. WHy is AMD so low priced? Ya think, it's about cheap hardware? AMD has(!) to be good - spintel's antitrust tactics have put them thru trial by fire; and it's slowly coming back on them - watch the news in Spring 2010 when the new USA antitrust legal team gets let out of the box - I will be laughing.

But o yes, you can spend spend spend and get maximal performance - for what? some fragfest game? It's a waste - all that potential in games is not noticeably or significantly higher - that left the door open for the bang for the buck, and price/performance. Some of us know; and will not be deceived by the spin and the "benchmarketing". When a highend sys costs $300 bucks less, who you gonna call. And nobody needs that high end sys either - not for gaming - and unless you are hooked into tight time schedules of a professional nature where seconds translate into hours, it's all a waste. (3d grafx effects rendering for hollywood movies, have switched to spintel - but they might be coming back to AMD where they were before.)
(I new this had flame potential). People are asking me to be "nice" - I am trying.

sigh
.
July 14, 2009 4:51:05 PM

Thanks so much for the information guys. Yeah, please don't let this turn into a flame war - some good stuff has been said so far, and I'd like to keep it coming (this has been the most helpful info I've gotten so far).

What do you guys think about this dragon platform that AMD is pushing? Are there any actual benefits to running all of their products, or is it merely a marketing ploy. I only ask because of my 4870.

EDIT: I have found this so far, and am in the process of reading it - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-x4-955,2278-...

FYI, I considered myself an AMD / Nvidia fanboy for the longest time, and just with this last computer build two years ago and video card this month did I switch to Intel / ATI, respectively. Am I now in favor of one over the other? No. I now simply switch to whatever is offering the best price / performance / potential upgrade path at the time of my upgrade. So, I'm open to anything right now.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2009 5:35:14 PM

amdzone = joke
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 1:22:58 PM

sighQ2 said:
"Feel free to compare your i7 budget to that, gentlemen".

Yeh, yeh. The spintel benchmarketing scene does not permit an AMD purchase. I could get nasty - but it's easier to stick to the actual facts - I know nobody who needs an i7 and unknown upgrade path at the hands of a monopoly who has been busted for antitrust globally 3 times PLUS. WHy is AMD so low priced? Ya think, it's about cheap hardware? AMD has(!) to be good - spintel's antitrust tactics have put them thru trial by fire; and it's slowly coming back on them - watch the news in Spring 2010 when the new USA antitrust legal team gets let out of the box - I will be laughing.

(I new this had flame potential). People are asking me to be "nice" - I am trying.

sigh
.



And just a few posts earlier:

Quote:
I also hope this does not become an idiot flamewar.


Leave it to Zooty to start a flamewar with himself... ADHD, much?

As for the " People are asking me to be "nice" - I am trying." - not too hard, apparently, since you got perma-banned by Ghost over at AMDZone for your continuous ad hominem attacks.

Nobody wants to read your anti-"Spintel" diatribes in a hardware thread - the OP wants information, not rhetoric. There's a sticky thread for AMD vs. Intel general discussions listed at the top, in case you failed to notice it rather prominently displayed in front of your nose...
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 1:38:03 PM

Yes, sighQ2 you should join in the sticky fun at the top of this forum (sticky fun?).
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2009 2:26:27 PM

Yeah ...

/looks for TIM
July 19, 2009 7:34:29 AM

Just to give an update, I took advantage of Microcenter's recent i7 920 sale and went the i7 route. It was definitely an expensive upgrade, but I feel good about my purchases. It just didn't make sense to buy into an aging technology, or a currently inferior product that is only slightly less expensive.

So, while I wait for the PC Power and Cooling 750w psu to arrive Tuesday, the rest of the build looks like the following:

i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
6gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1066
HD 4870 1 gb
22" Vizio HDTV (via HDMI)
19" Samsung LCD

Thanks to everyone for all their help in the rebuild! BTW, I set up my old computer for my brother and surprised him with it as he came back from camp today. That made it worth the cost.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 19, 2009 11:31:07 PM

sighQ2 said:
"Feel free to compare your i7 budget to that, gentlemen".

Yeh, yeh. The spintel benchmarketing scene does not permit an AMD purchase. I could get nasty - but it's easier to stick to the actual facts - I know nobody who needs an i7 and unknown upgrade path at the hands of a monopoly who has been busted for antitrust globally 3 times PLUS. WHy is AMD so low priced? Ya think, it's about cheap hardware? AMD has(!) to be good - spintel's antitrust tactics have put them thru trial by fire; and it's slowly coming back on them - watch the news in Spring 2010 when the new USA antitrust legal team gets let out of the box - I will be laughing.

But o yes, you can spend spend spend and get maximal performance - for what? some fragfest game? It's a waste - all that potential in games is not noticeably or significantly higher - that left the door open for the bang for the buck, and price/performance. Some of us know; and will not be deceived by the spin and the "benchmarketing". When a highend sys costs $300 bucks less, who you gonna call. And nobody needs that high end sys either - not for gaming - and unless you are hooked into tight time schedules of a professional nature where seconds translate into hours, it's all a waste. (3d grafx effects rendering for hollywood movies, have switched to spintel - but they might be coming back to AMD where they were before.)
(I new this had flame potential). People are asking me to be "nice" - I am trying.

sigh
.


Actually the reason why AMDs so low priced right now is because:

1. They bought ATI and over paid for them thus putting themselves in major debt

2. Their CPUs do not perform as well overall compared to Intels.

Yes in gaming they do fine. Until its multicard gaming. But in every other task they are not able to keep up with a Core i7 therefore they have to price their CPUs lower in order to get sales and make money. Problem is that thats a very low profit margin which still has yet to show a profit.

If AMD had invested in more FABs instead of ATI they probably would have been able to make more CPUs to sell but instead they bought ATI thus causing them to take a whoping $4.8 Billion hit.

Right now its not about telling the OP to not buy AMD. Its about suggestions and one guy stated that a Phenom II/MB/RAM would be cheaper all together than a Core i7 920. Which is not true. Sure if you go with the lowest Phenom II you can, it will be cheaper. But the performance will not be the same.

Overall for the OP, if you can get either a Q6600 or Q9550. A HD4870 1GB will not be bottlenecked by either of those quads. If you do plan more than one GPU though possibly a Core i7 or high end Phenom would be wise but if you stick with one 4870 upping your CPU to a quad would benefit you just a tad more than spending more money on a new mobo, RAM and CPU for probably the same performance gains.

*EDIT*

Congrats on teh build. I am sure you will be happy with it as will your brother be happy with your old one. I did the same thing to my fiance. Now she loves my old machine to death and will never let it go.
a c 102 à CPUs
July 20, 2009 2:19:24 AM

tomste2300 said:
Would switching to an AMD setup now be a smart move? I want to upgrade and use my current C2D cpu / board in another build, so I'm thinking that picking a new socket might help me upgrade more easily in the future. While I know the Phenom II x4 955 is getting beat by the Q9550, if I switched to an AM3 socket I would be able to get tri channel ram (is this true? After some forum searching it's looking like AM3 boards can't do tri channel...only Intel's i7 socket boards can), DDR3 and an actual upgrade path for the next two or so years.

Is this worth switching to, or should I buy another 775 board and a Q9550? My current DS3R only has PCI-e x16, so I could buy a cheap board and get 2.0.

I would love to get an i7 setup, but I don't have the funds right now. On the flip side, a cpu + mobo + ram switch might put me in the price range of an i7 build.

Current rig specs are -

C2D E4400
Gigabyte DS3R (rev. 1.0)
2gb (2x1gb DDR2 800)
HD 4870 1gb
Fortron 500w


Thanks!


Since you are intending to use your E4400 setup in another build, you are looking to build an entirely new unit. Going with an AMD AM3 unit would be a very good move in that case as you can generally get a better build for the dollar using Phenom IIs/Athlon IIs rather than Intel Core 2s. I wouldn't really make much of a deal about AM3 upgrade potential as it is highly vendor-dependent on shipping a new BIOS, which is a real crapshoot. By the way, the Phenom II X4 955BE is generally a touch faster than the Q9550 if you believe Tom's charts.

PCIe 2.0 vs. PCIe 1.x isn't that big of a deal. No current GPU really bottlenecks a 16-lane PCIe 1.x slot. By the time a GPU comes along that does bottleneck a PCIe 1.x, it's going to be something that requires more CPU than a Q9550 to stretch its legs.

Quote:
EDIT: After browsing through newegg I have a question. Do some mobos only take Phenom II x4s, or would those boards take any kind of AM3 socket cpu? If the latter is correct, then two years from now I would have to buy a new mobo again when they moved on to x5, etc. That isn't right, is it?


No AM3 motherboard just takes Phenom II X4s. Any AM3 motherboard that takes a Phenom II X4 will take any AM3 CPU. Most AM3 motherboards will take any socket AM3 CPU from the lowest-end Athlon II X4 to the highest-end Phenom II X4. The only limitation that some motherboards have is that some of them have efficient but low-capacity VRMs that limit the motherboard to only taking CPUs at and below a certain TDP level. If you are talking about accepting future CPUs, that is dependent on the motherboard maker releasing updated BIOSes.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 3:04:19 AM

if you read he has already built his new pc.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 3:14:26 AM

well if you love amdzone so much why dont you go there.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 20, 2009 3:52:03 AM

Quote:
BadTrip = Ass hat


Do we really need this? To act like kids?

Sometimes people amaze me at the level they will go on forums.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 20, 2009 3:58:38 AM

Quote:
He started it with his intel fanboy comments, cant stand intel fanboys. The world does not revolve around the i7. I wouldnt wipe my butt with intel poop paper if its all i had to use.


Yet you are obviously a AMD fanboy who critisizes Intel but cannot take AMD critisizm.

In the end he is right though. Last time I went to AMDZone it was crazy. They are not open minded but are, as the site says, AMD fans. When its a site made for fans of that company you cannot take them seriously.

I am sure you would say the same if there was a IntelZone site.

Just don't turn into a little kid and no flaming.
July 20, 2009 8:57:35 AM

Actually, most sites are already Intelzone sites.

And it's only hard to accept criticism that is not true.

"Sometimes people amaze me at the level they will go on forums". Tell us more.

"When its a site made for fans of that company you cannot take them seriously".
It's amazing what can be said here; and what goes unnoticed as seriously flawed logic. It would be fun to hear the logic of this. Is it that anything that is not pro spintel is wrong?

The dominance of the influence of the monopoly is clearly illustrated here. Despite a fairly clear elucidation of the alternate. The move to the familiar, the way of less effort, impulse. The way of higher cost for less value. The misleading comments that preceded a decision.

This is one of many real views of the damage done by antitrust tactics served up by a monopoly. A lesser product chosen despite a better choice. Wow, that's powerful. I wonder if people can see this. Probably not.

Care to comment on that?
July 20, 2009 9:24:04 AM

Also
I have to say

You guys can split hairs all you want; and insist you are right simply because recent price drops make it barely not true perhaps.

one i7
costs same as
Phenom II, mobo, ram

The numbers vary with the details - but it's true.
The intended communication is entirely accurate.
And the more spintel parts you include, the statement is an underestimate of how overpriced spintel is.

But I repeat my amazement at how people become possessed by lemming mentality. That's a lot of damage.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 9:38:31 AM

The price differences between i7 and Phenom II vary depending on where you live, and also if you go all AM3 or AM2+ (the latter has cheaper RAM and motherboards).

Where I live there is about $150 between an i7 920 + the cheapest X58 board (MSI) and a Phenom II 955 + the cheapest 790GX AM3 board (Asrock). If you aren't a fan of Asrock boards then that difference closes to only $100, but I don't know how well they OC these days. Before the Phenom II price drops it would have been $100 difference even with the cheapest Asrock board.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 11:31:49 AM

Unfortunately for me the nearest Microcenter retail store is about 658 miles away from me so the $200 deal on the Core i7 920 is not obtainable nor is it practical by me to drive that distance.
I see 2 inexpensive X58 boards over at newegg one MSI and the other Asrock for about $170.So I could get the cheapest X58 board plus the Core i7 920 over at newegg plus 6 gigabytes of RAM for around $550.
Over at newegg I could get this combo deal on the 955 plus ASUS motherboard for $260 plus a $10 mail in rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
There was even cheaper combo deals if one wanted even a lower priced AMD 955 based system.
I could get 4 gigabytes of RAM for around $65 so the AMD mobo,CPU and memory total would be around $315.So at newegg I could get the AMD based mobo,955 CPU and memory for $315 and for the Intel based Core i7 920 system it would be $235 higher.I was able to price a under $600 Budget Phenom II X4 955 CPU,NVidia 9800 GTX+ GPU based system with 4 gigabytes of RAM specifically to run Microsoft Flight Simulator X very well.Actually the total hardware costs turned out to be $574.93 from parts at newegg.I am not knocking the Core i7 920 CPU because it's a more powerful CPU.In fact I was highly tempted to build one but it was the combo deals that changed the economics equation for me.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2009 12:46:34 PM

jimmy your the pot calling the kettle black there buddy eh?

I remember you regularly teaming up with TC, turpit, and yomamafor1 as the chief SPINTEL Fanbois on THG who blasted any AMD fans who dared to post.

Having a moderator to push other people around and threaten them didn't frighten me though.

Those times have gone now thankfully ... sighQ2 you might not remember how bad it was a while back for those of us who supported BM and other AMD fans on the value of the builds.

Mind you historically it was bad for BM as Phenom I and the 2900XT were frankly cr@p to defend too ... lol.

Now we just try to get along and humour the likes of BadTrip and ZipZoom and the other bacteria that grow in the odd thread or two.

Hopefully the OP likes his new i7.

Looking a bit longer term I'd be looking at when the socket is going to EOL in making a recommendation?

AM3 and i7 can both sustain more cores on the current socket where as LGA775 is EOL now.

However a 45nm Penryn quad overclocked is still just as good as a PhenomII and priced comparably ... where i7, mobo, 3 sticks of RAM is at the next price point up.

I must read up on the sockets ...



July 20, 2009 1:20:39 PM

tomste2300 said:

I have a couple of questions though:

1) The closest Microcenter is a couple of cities away, but it may be worth it to call them and see if they still have that deal going on.



If they have $200 Intel i7 920s, that is a good deal.



2) How good is a 720BE, and does the fourth core unlock 100% of the time with the flash? What is the ghz on it?

said:


2) How good is a 720BE, and does the fourth core unlock 100% of the time with the flash? What is the ghz on it?



I have a 720BE on a Biostar TA790GX mobo OCed at 3.4 GHz stable with a Zerotherm Nirvana 120 HSF running at about 41C full load. The 4th core doesn't always work 100% of the time nor is it guaranteed to be stable if it does work. But, mine did okay.



3) I think I would like to stick to the AM3 socket if I went AMD, along with a AM3 only board. Would it be bad to go with a Phenom II x4 955, or is the price / performance not worth it?

said:


3) I think I would like to stick to the AM3 socket if I went AMD, along with a AM3 only board. Would it be bad to go with a Phenom II x4 955, or is the price / performance not worth it?



AM3 would be the way to go if you're doing AMD. Forget the AM2(+). Get a decent/good mobo, and get some quality DDR3-1333 ram...tests have shown 1600 ram gives negligible (if any) performance benefits. Plus, I'd say to wait (if you can) til August or September. Not only is sb800 chipset supposed to be out, but there was rumor of the PII x4 965 3.4GHz CPU coming out. The 955 could become an even better value.



3) Call me timid, but I've always been hesitant in overclocking my cpu, especially because I've never been fully confident in my knowledge on how to do it. I've read through the guides posted here and on the anandtech forums, but I've still been kind of confused. said:


3) Call me timid, but I've always been hesitant in overclocking my cpu, especially because I've never been fully confident in my knowledge on how to do it. I've read through the guides posted here and on the anandtech forums, but I've still been kind of confused.



Basic OCing of the PII x4 AM3 CPUs is easy (adjusting the voltage, Clock, and mult in the BIOS or AMD Overdrive Util). I didn't even adjust memory timings or Northbridge settings and got 3.4GHz out of a 2.8GHz chip. Almost a 25% boost.

Just remember one thing about OCing: READ READ READ. Find out all you can about it, learn it, live it, love it...then be careful. Take small steps. Don't be afraid to take 4 hours and 30 reboots to safely find the limits of your system. And keep an eye on things. OCing can be a great experience if you do it safely and carefully. :) 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 21, 2009 12:43:46 AM

sighQ2 said:
Actually, most sites are already Intelzone sites.

And it's only hard to accept criticism that is not true.

"Sometimes people amaze me at the level they will go on forums". Tell us more.

"When its a site made for fans of that company you cannot take them seriously".
It's amazing what can be said here; and what goes unnoticed as seriously flawed logic. It would be fun to hear the logic of this. Is it that anything that is not pro spintel is wrong?

The dominance of the influence of the monopoly is clearly illustrated here. Despite a fairly clear elucidation of the alternate. The move to the familiar, the way of less effort, impulse. The way of higher cost for less value. The misleading comments that preceded a decision.

This is one of many real views of the damage done by antitrust tactics served up by a monopoly. A lesser product chosen despite a better choice. Wow, that's powerful. I wonder if people can see this. Probably not.

Care to comment on that?


Of course. Every site is a Intelzone site these days. Hell back in the day when X2 was cream of the crop were the sites giving props to AMD fan sites? No. Thats the double sidedness of people like yourself.

So wait. You are willing to take info from a site that was made for and is used by AMD fans, correct? So I guess you believed the whole "K10 will beat Kentsfield by 40%" stuff too, right? Thats my point. AMDZone is and always will be a pro AMD site. It will never be a unbiased opinion. I personally don't care what other people think. Yes I like Intel. I also like ATI, Creative and Asus as preferences. Hell I am wanting to build a HTPC and was thinking of going with a AMD mobo and CPU simply for the fact that the onboard IGP will do HD and Blu Ray better and at a lower power cost than say a full fledged GPU would.

Anything that was made for fans and is run by fans is not to be trusted.

Antitrust has nothing to do with it either. You are just a disgruntled person. I mean for crying out loud, trusting what either company or a fan site says is just stupid really. They will tell you what they want you to think is true.

Look at it this way, ATI touts the ability to give Teraflop performance in its GPUs. People don't know that that does not = the gaming potential. While its great for F@H and such, in gaming it means nothing or a ATI HD4870 would easily smash a GTX275 or even a GTX295 since it still hase more computing power and SPs than a dual nVidia GPU does.

And guess what? I have a 4870. I love it. OCed it to 800/970 (3.88).

sighQ2 said:
Also
I have to say

You guys can split hairs all you want; and insist you are right simply because recent price drops make it barely not true perhaps.

one i7
costs same as
Phenom II, mobo, ram

The numbers vary with the details - but it's true.
The intended communication is entirely accurate.
And the more spintel parts you include, the statement is an underestimate of how overpriced spintel is.

But I repeat my amazement at how people become possessed by lemming mentality. That's a lot of damage.


Core i7 920 $279 @ Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lets look at a equivalent Phenom II X4, not a cheap ass one like the 550. Lets look at the 955 since it can offer equivalent performance for the most part:

$215 with a $40 discount, not sure how long thats for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hmm........ thats not really looking like the cost of a i7 920 for all three. Lets add 4GB of DDR3 and a decent AM3 mobo, not the cheap crap:

OZC Gold (not even the best but decent) $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI 790FX (wanted at least dual x16 CF capabilities for future upgrades) $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $464.98

Thats a tad shy of $279.99, isn't it?

But sure. Get the cheapest RAM, cheapest Mobo with only one PCIe slot and cheapest Phenom II X4 out there and it will be near $280. But then you can't truly compare it.

So for the Core i7 system:

Foxconn X58 mobo. Even has 4 x16 slots. $199.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6GB of DDR3 OZC Gold again $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$579.97. Not too bad really and thats not looking for deals either. And out of all honesty both systems would kick ass in gaming. Well depending on the GPU you select.

So that alone proves that it wont be $280 for Phenom II, MB and RAM. I can even list the prices for say the cheapest Phenom II, MB and RAM as well but lets stick with 4GB since 2GB is too little, shall we?

MSI 770 mobo $79.99 (also notice it says Phenum II not Phenom, lol at the typo)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4GB of DDR3 (going with AM3, cuz why should I limit the upgrade potential since AM2+ will be dead soon?) $58.99 (yes its crap RAM ewwww.....)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Phenom II X4 810 $139.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $278.97, just under $279.99.

But it has crappy RAM wih no heat spreaders so OCing will be hard, only one PCIe lane so no possibility of CF beyond a 4870/4850/4890X2. Also the chipset is lower in the chain which means OCing itself will be harder as well. ts a good system for low-mid end but for the enthusiasts here want more really.

Still overall a comparable Phenomm II vs a Core i7 920 would be only around $100 in difference. Not too much to get in a fit about.

And rey, I wasn't tagging up on the AMD fans. Just the ones like BM. And no BM wa snot about the value of AMD. He was about spreading false information and when it turned out false he would go into anti intel rants which in the end were just idiodic.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2009 4:57:39 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Core i7 920 $279 @ Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Lets look at a equivalent Phenom II X4, not a cheap ass one like the 550. Lets look at the 955 since it can offer equivalent performance for the most part:

$215 with a $40 discount, not sure how long thats for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hmm........ thats not really looking like the cost of a i7 920 for all three. Lets add 4GB of DDR3 and a decent AM3 mobo, not the cheap crap:

OZC Gold (not even the best but decent) $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI 790FX (wanted at least dual x16 CF capabilities for future upgrades) $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $464.98

Thats a tad shy of $279.99, isn't it?

But sure. Get the cheapest RAM, cheapest Mobo with only one PCIe slot and cheapest Phenom II X4 out there and it will be near $280. But then you can't truly compare it.

.


You missed the combo deal on the Phenom II X4 955 and that AM3 MSI 790 FX Motherboard.The combo has it another $70 off for $314.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
So with that OZC Gold memory that you picked for $79.99 it would come to $394.98

Without that combo deal I would not choose the Phenom II X4 955 + Motherboard route.
Hence previously I was planning on a Core i7 920 build.

Here is a combo on the Phenom II X4 955 and a MSI 770 -C45 Motherboard.
Combo Price $229.99 + ($15 Mail in rebate) or $214.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

So yes it's feasible to get the 955 CPU+ motherboard+ RAM for the price of a Core i7 920 at newegg
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2009 3:34:11 PM

jimmysmitty said:


And rey, I wasn't tagging up on the AMD fans. Just the ones like BM. And no BM wa snot about the value of AMD. He was about spreading false information and when it turned out false he would go into anti intel rants which in the end were just idiodic.


Cheers ... I got tired and had a bit of a rant and a dribble.


July 21, 2009 7:15:32 PM

Hey guys,

Haven't been on here for quite some time.....is i7 (specifically 920) getting phased out? Is i5 completely different socket? Would it be stupid to buy a 920 and a (still expensive) X58 board now?
July 21, 2009 7:39:27 PM

920 I think is being phased out largely due to it really banging up the sales of the higher models. didn't take long for folks to figure out the 920 could be overclocked to the same potential as the others.

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2009 7:45:12 PM

roofus said:
920 I think is being phased out largely due to it really banging up the sales of the higher models. didn't take long for folks to figure out the 920 could be overclocked to the same potential as the others.



It's being replaced with a faster processor to make room for the i5.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=357...
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2009 11:29:29 PM

Scott good point.
July 22, 2009 5:31:23 PM

Just to update - I put my i7 920 rig together and it literally flies. I am more than impressed. My gaming performance has gone through the roof - the Sims 3 stays between 70-160+fps. It's insane.
July 22, 2009 6:00:02 PM

Read Siggy!
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 23, 2009 7:25:46 AM

jj463rd said:
You missed the combo deal on the Phenom II X4 955 and that AM3 MSI 790 FX Motherboard.The combo has it another $70 off for $314.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
So with that OZC Gold memory that you picked for $79.99 it would come to $394.98

Without that combo deal I would not choose the Phenom II X4 955 + Motherboard route.
Hence previously I was planning on a Core i7 920 build.

Here is a combo on the Phenom II X4 955 and a MSI 770 -C45 Motherboard.
Combo Price $229.99 + ($15 Mail in rebate) or $214.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

So yes it's feasible to get the 955 CPU+ motherboard+ RAM for the price of a Core i7 920 at newegg


If ya noticed I said I wasn't looking for deals. Just buying them each seperately. Sure if you look for combo deals (man they are giving that mobo away for free with the MSI770 one) you will find better deals. But comparing that mobo to even the lowest end X58 mobo is not really fair as the X58 mobo will have a better chipset, OC better and as well have dual PCIex16 lanes instead of one allowing you to make the system last longer with say dual 4870X2s or whatever when they become useful.

or when everyone games at 1920x1080+ res.
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2009 8:35:04 AM

jimmysmitty said:
If ya noticed I said I wasn't looking for deals. Just buying them each seperately. Sure if you look for combo deals (man they are giving that mobo away for free with the MSI770 one) you will find better deals. But comparing that mobo to even the lowest end X58 mobo is not really fair as the X58 mobo will have a better chipset, OC better and as well have dual PCIex16 lanes instead of one allowing you to make the system last longer with say dual 4870X2s or whatever when they become useful.

or when everyone games at 1920x1080+ res.

Yeah I did notice that.Without those deals the Phenom IIX4 955 wouldn't be the best choice.With the deal though it's hard to pass up and makes a fine budget build.
July 23, 2009 8:47:12 AM

[:lectrocrew:9] Get a Cyrex or a Via they bench better! :pt1cable: 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 24, 2009 7:34:19 AM

tomste2300 said:
Just to update - I put my i7 920 rig together and it literally flies. I am more than impressed. My gaming performance has gone through the roof - the Sims 3 stays between 70-160+fps. It's insane.


Well glad to hear you enjoy it. I am sure its fast. Its like when I went from my P4 3.4 to a Q6600 the difference was insane.

Only wish I had the money to build a i7 920. Maybe I should have waited till now to get one cuz it would cost me the same as I paid for my Q6600 build.....

jj463rd said:
Yeah I did notice that.Without those deals the Phenom IIX4 955 wouldn't be the best choice.With the deal though it's hard to pass up and makes a fine budget build.


Yea I know. Deals are great. Like the $200 for a Core i7 920? If they had Micro centers here I would buy the CPU just to save till I can afford the mobo, RAM and stuff. Deals are nice to see.

hell the current GPU charts at THG doesn't show the HD4870 1GB for less than $180 and I got mine for $150 @ Newegg. Best GPU purchase ever.
July 25, 2009 3:15:53 AM

Wow, now thats a deal on a 4870! I got my 4870x2 for trade. I bought an Nvidia GTX 280 and was disappointed, My friend said he was disappointed in the 4870x2 and got a GTX 295. He traded me the 4870x2 for the 280. Whoopity Flibbering Jiberts, I like this card. Trying to Con a second x2 from another friend. He doesnt need it Ive got an 8800 gts that would do perfect for the games he plays. Plus Im offering $150 as well, maybe its not a con and I need to figure something else out. ;) 
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2009 3:38:56 AM

lol, don't bother getting a Q6600 for $200! What a rip off!

You can get a Q9400 on Newegg for around the same price and performs better. If you live near a Microcenter, get a Q9550 for $190 after tax. That will wipe the floor with a Q6600.
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2009 9:18:57 AM

A Q9550 yes ... full cache and overclocks well.

The castrated Celeron quads are not so good for overclocking whereas the Q6600 (albeit an older 65nm part) has a low FSB ... ideal for overclocking 1066 ... 1333. As were the 6700 / 6850.

A Q6600 should be had for cheaper than that but a Q9450 / 9550 / 9650 are the best Penryn quads to be had to make your LGA775 fly as they have 12 Meg of cache and are better binned parts and run a tad cooler with a slightly higher IPC.

July 30, 2009 6:21:07 AM

Go with the phenom II 940 and radeon 4550 combo on pricewatch for $300 and you should be good. Use UBUNTU GNU/LINUX 9.10 to get the most of all 4 of those cores because Windows just don't use all cores effeciently.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 30, 2009 7:12:45 AM

Rey, the 6850 is ok for OCing. It had a 1333MHz FSB. The 6800 had a 1066 but once the 6850 came out it dissapeared fast.

And to the last post, the guy already went for the Core i7 920 if I remember correctly.
!