Your question
Solved

System hangs with 4gb ram

Last response: in Memory
September 27, 2009 5:21:25 AM

here my specs when the system was working:
XFX 680ilt SLI Motherboard
Foxxcon 8600GT graphic card
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) OCZ2P800R22GK
A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ADQVD1A16K
Q6600 processor

after i bought EVGA 275GTX my system started freezing 20 min into games and started getting blue screens. here are the specs of the new instable system:
EVGA 275GTX (Primary)
Foxxcon 8600GT graphic card (Physics)
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) OCZ2P800R22GK
A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ADQVD1A16K
Q6600 processor

I was able to make my system stable by removing either one the two types of ram. here is what my stable system specs are like:
EVGA 275GTX (Primary)
Foxxcon 8600GT graphic card (Physics)
Q6600 processor

My question is: Is it wrong to have 2 different types of ram even though their specs are so similar. Do i have to live with 2 gig. I went into bios and manually set the timings to 4-4-4-15, but no luck.
PS. when both these types of ram is in there the bios doesn't detect the memory as SLI memory. But when only Adata is in there then it detects it as an SLI memory.

All help will be appriciated.
Thanks

More about : system hangs 4gb ram

Best solution

a b } Memory
September 27, 2009 6:49:04 AM

One obvious thing - the DRAM should be installed in alternating slots. That is, both sticks of a matching pair in the white slots, the others in the black slots. Can't mix em up.

In the BIOS:

Set the DRAM timings back to Auto - both are similar enough it shouldn't be a problem.

Set the DRAM voltage manually to 2.1v. The specs show 1.9-2.1V for one and 2.0V-2.1V for the other. Most likely they're getting 1.8V now, the default.

For now - Disable the Quick POST

If you have ANY Overclocking options set, get rid of them. This means CPU, DRAM, nVidia/nForce clocking, etc...

Once you have that done, reboot. Then under PnP/PCI choose Reset Configuration Data, save and reboot again. Test the system

A few more things to try:

Disable the "SLI-Ready Memory" - ignore the state of these type. Under "FSB & Memory Config"

There's some BIOS updates on the site, have you done that or running newest?

LOL, I think that's it right now. I know nothing about SLI, but I think that's the key to your problem. The fact that one DRAM pair supports it and the other doesn't is a big clue in my opinion.
---------------

BTW, I really like the XFX manuals and guides. Very detailed info compared to most. What I don't like is having to register to get copy of anything.

a b } Memory
September 27, 2009 1:52:09 PM

SLI memory, LOL. It all advertising. Means absolutely nothing except that it costs more money. Period.
I think the biggest problem here is voltage, I would do exactly as mongox suggested, set everything to auto in the BIOS, except the memory voltage. Bump it up to 2.1.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2009 4:07:48 PM

Thank you Mongox. you rock. I only upped the voltage to 2.1 and its working. I have a question. would having 2 different types of ram as i do, makes memory not work in duel channel mode. and is it big hit. Also should i also try to set the timing manually again with 4-4-4-15 (15 being lower of the two (4-4-4-12 and 4-4-4-15)).
thanks again.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 27, 2009 4:27:39 PM

Glad to help!

If the alike pairs of RAM are put into the same color slots, you should be getting dual-channel mode now. If not, there's something still wrong. Remember, both sticks of RAM A go into one color, both of RAM B into the other slot color. Since the color slots alternate, this would mean, left to right, A, B, A, B ...

Dual channel will make more difference to the speed of your computer than any MHz or timing alteration you can make. Get it working!

After you've got it working for a bit, can try various timing/CL changes and see what works and is stable for you.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 27, 2009 4:31:00 PM

jitpublisher said:
SLI memory, LOL. It all advertising. Means absolutely nothing except that it costs more money. Period.

I guess I've only read about SLI when it's side-port memory, directly connected to the GPU from what I understand. That does sound good for games I reckon. Heck, I'm using the built-in Radeon 4200 graphics and cut down the supplied system RAM from 512 to 128! I'm not what you'd call a big graphics power user!

I do have this guy working inside my system now and he says Bah! to SLI memory!
m
l
September 27, 2009 7:40:36 PM

Yep, i do have it in alternating slots. But how do i tell if its in duel channel mode?
m
l
September 27, 2009 7:57:01 PM

yep it is in duel channel as confirmed by CPU-z however the CPU-z says my memory is max bandwidth is 400 even though te post says 800 and markvantage says its 800. so i am going to proceed with igoring what cpu-z has to say about my memory's bandwidth and my system is running quite fast.
Thanks every one
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2009 12:01:40 AM

Your RAM does have a bandwidth of 400 - but it's DDR RAM with a Double Data Rate - so the 400 becomes 800.

Good luck again and our pleasure.
m
l
!