Will this Work?

notacomputerperson

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
As my name suggests, i am most definitely not a computer person. i do on the other hand play video games. some online friends of mine who i talk to via Ventrilo helped me out with discovering what what computer has, and what my computer should use (because its... "out of date". Its basically just been having problems with downloading or installing files, and its been running slow for awhile. also seems to have a problem with the CD Drive -it opens and closes on its on, at random times)

Anyway, what i came to ask was my friends helped me pick out a Processor and a Video Card

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Video Card : GIGABYTE GV-N95TOC-1GI GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Integrated w/ native HDMI port, overclocked at 650MHz

my Mother Board is this : ASUS A8N5X the 'specs' can be found here

I can remember a friend asking "If the wattage was enough for the Mother Board." and was instructed to ask Tom's Hardware.
So, are those two items worth purchasing? Or will they not work with my Mother Board, which given my finances, we've decided not to upgrade, but to add to. I think it was. :)

If its helpful or not, here is what i'm currently using

Processor

Video Card

Thanks to PCWizard :)

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
First off you need to set your budget for your upgrade or new PC. You say you're not a computer person, who will do the upgrade of the parts for you? Your current mobo is quote old, and although your friends have been helpful to suggest a Processor and graphics card, the processor wont fit in your current Motherboard, plus you will need DDR2 memory with the new Mobo, so you'll need to upgrade those parts. If your budget allows you might want to consider a new PC alltogether, it will be far easier. Have a look at the Gaming PCs on NewEgg you can get a pretty good rig for $500, which will be a big improvement in gaming for you.

The link for your motherboard doesn't work,however its a 939 board which doesn't support the AMD X2 5600,also 9500GT isn't good for gaming.
As tobensg suggested,if your budget allows get a new gaming rig,socket 939 is a dead socket and doesn't support AM2 and newer CPUs.