Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Building first computer with Intel SSD, assembled, now what?

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2010 6:23:23 AM

Before I do something stupid, need to have a couple questions answered. I know very little about building computers, and this is my first build. I bought an 80gb Intel ssd and 1TB hard drive for data. I have an Asus p55e-pro motherboard, HAF 922 case, and an i5-760. I also bought a dvd rw and blu ray drive.

It's all plugged in and set for the most part. But I'm wondering about the order of the SATA connections. Theres SATA1-6 connections, 2 SATA 6 bg/s connections, and a SATA E1 (??). I'm guessing SSD goes into SATA 1, but I'm wondering about the remainder (hard drive, dvd, blu ray, and front panel SATA). And just making sure the SSD goes into the SATA 1, not the SATA 6 gb/s?

So once that is figured out, is there a good guide on here/online what to do compared with a normal hdd. Should I just connect the SSD for now, and worry about he hdd later once I have windows 7 installed? I'm planning on running the OS on the SSD, and data on the other hdd. Necessary steps so I don't screw anything up?

Thanks.
a c 107 G Storage
November 12, 2010 6:29:17 AM

ONLY plug in the SSD ( and optical of course) while you install Windows then after that is successful plug in your backup drive.

You may want to update drive firmware as well before using it. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/index...
November 12, 2010 7:35:57 AM

anort3 said:
ONLY plug in the SSD ( and optical of course) while you install Windows then after that is successful plug in your backup drive.

You may want to update drive firmware as well before using it. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/index...

I assume this means update the firmware after I install windows 7?

I also found these on newegg for the intel ssd, and if anyone knows a good step by step guide that'd be appreciated

"hard to tell if you do the right setup, between disabling the the defragmentation and the TRIM command. I used windows 7 but still I always have that feeling that it is not installed to extract the best of it.

do some reading about installing using AHCI or regular IDE, this i a bios setup and it is not easy to change abck and forth. I did it with IDE but AHCI might be faster to the cost of compatibility problems"

"Be sure to set the BIOS HD controller to AHCI before you install Windows. SSD installation could be made simpler. This not so much an issue with this device but an issue with all SSD devices at this time."
Related resources
a c 107 G Storage
November 12, 2010 7:43:24 AM

Yes update after Windows install.

My SSD is a different design than yours. Mine has Sandforce controllers and Intel's do not. Just NEVER defrag and do not run benchmarks not designed for SSDs and you will be fine. AHCI or IDE is based on your specific chipset. I run mine AHCI. Not sure about you.

Best solution

a c 351 G Storage
November 12, 2010 12:52:36 PM

(1) As started above, do install with your 1TB drive disconnected.
(2) Set your Bios to AHCI before install. Win 7 should use it's default AHCI driver.
(3) Most likely you will not need to upgrade the firmware as you probably have the latest.
(4) Windows 7 install should disable defrag and enable Trim. Can verify after install.
(5) There are several tweeks you can do. For one, disable hibernation. Setting page file to HDD is a mater of choice and debateble. Many also disable indexing on the SSD.
a c 351 G Storage
November 12, 2010 2:09:34 PM

(1) Chknpotpie indicated only a single SSD and single HDD so raid not applicable.
(2) I think if set up properly, both the Intel G2 controller and the SF1200 Controllers will both get about 7.7 -> 7.8 WEI (Intel's G2 w/msachi driver, and SF1200 w/intel Ver9 Ahci driver). With the msachi driver the SF1200 controll gererally gets about a 7.3 -> 7.5 WEI and AS benchmark/Crystaldiskmark will also be lower with the ms AHCI driver.
November 13, 2010 1:10:54 AM

Best answer selected by chknpotpie.
November 13, 2010 5:24:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!