xiaolongbao

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I was at my computer yesterday for about 10 minutes and then it just died. No signal to the video, no HD's working, no case or cpu fans working.

I switched out the PSU. I test the PSU and it's fine. I've left the new one in the machine.

(Antec NeoPower 550)

I tested the power switch on the case (Antec 182) and it's okay. Also checked the switch leads into the mobo and they're okay.

Clearly something between the power switch and the PSU is not right.

Mobo is a MSI P6N SLI Platninum, 4gb Corsair Dominator and a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.

GPU is an XLR 8800GTS.

3 Hard drives, 2 Seagate 320's and 1 Seagate 500.

You press the power switch and nothing. The mobo light by the CMOS is on when the PSU is turned on but that's the only sign of life.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Humm.

I take it the eight pin for the cpu 12v is connected aswell then.
Plus the normal 24 pin connector from the Neopower 550.

Have a check.

You could also try taking out your 4gb and trying one stick at a time see if it will boot.
Could be a dead memory stick.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Open up the case and see if there's any lit led..If not, considering you've ruled out the PSU, check the power outlet that feeds your PC, your ups if you're using one, disconnect and reconnect the power cords (see if there is a loose contact somewhere)..
If you see a yellow or green lit led, the cause can be your ram, your mobo or the power switch of your case..
Ram: do what Shaun and captaincharisma recommended
Mobo: replace and see!
Power switch: short out the pins on the mobo directly or connect the restart key to them instead and use it..

xiaolongbao

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Yes, the LED's lit. PSU is fine and I've also check the power outlet feeding the PC, it's fine.

As suggest by Shaun O, I removed the RAM and tried them one by one and in combinations.

I already check the case power switch using a continuity tester and it's fine.

There's clearly something amiss between the power switch and the PSU. I guess I'll be looking at a new mobo.

TRENDING THREADS