Sign in with
Your question

Why does my hard drive need to be formatted

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 12, 2010 10:41:05 AM

Hello,
I am trying to transfer data from a 2.5 inch hard drive to another computer. I am using one of the serial hard drive to usb cable adapters. My new computer is seeing the old hard drive but it is telling me it needs to be formatted. If I format it wont I lose the data on it? How can I get the data off with out formating? The old hard drive used windows xp and the new one is using windows 7.
thanks

More about : hard drive formatted

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 22, 2010 11:15:10 PM

Thanks Mal, I finally got it.
Windows 7 was not recognizing the XP format. I ended up having to format a clean hard drive on my new computer (Windows 7) by using the Windows Easy Format and selecting the option to upgrade my old computer from XP to Windows 7. I could then hook the new hard drive up to the old computer (XP) and transfer all of the files to the new hard drive (Windows 7). Once I plugged the new hard drive into the USB of the new computer it recognized it right off. Easy once I figured out you had to use that 3rd hard drive to transfer the files.

I think things would have been much easier if I would have had a an easy transfer cable, I think I could have skipped that 3rd hard drive and went computer to computer. At least I have a back up now.
Thanks
m
l
Related resources
!