Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crucial RealSSD C300 64gig vs. OCZ Vertex 2 60 gig vs. wait

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2010 11:38:04 AM

I am curious to peoples opinions on the 64 gig Crucial Sata III C300 vs Sandforce drives like the OCZ Vertex 2 60 gig.

I know that the smaller Crucial drives have slow write speeds but still allow for insane write speeds. The Sandforce drives have good read/write performance (though not as fast read times as the Crucial) but perform worse with uncompressable data (how common is that?) I currently have a WD Raptor 74g HDD and a 640g WD Black HDD and would use the SSD for games (like Call of Duty) or a boot drive, maybe both. Of course I can always wait until next year if that would be the wisest move.

My system

AMD Phenom II B35 OC@ 3.2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Gigabyte GA 770TA UDP (does have Sata III)
Nvidia Geforce 460
WD Rapter 74 gig
WD Black 640 gig
Samsung DVD-R

Thanks

a b G Storage
November 12, 2010 2:09:53 PM

Out of the two OCZ Vertex 2 of course. But i was hoping you would buy a little bigger drive. 60GB is too small. 120GB is decent size.

Are you constrained by budget?
m
l

Best solution

a c 99 G Storage
November 12, 2010 5:12:26 PM

Only get the Crucial if you have a SATA III motherboard. It'll work in SATA II, but I would suggest the OCZ Vertex 2 (or Agility 2) for a SATA II SSD.

But imho, since Crucial is the only SATA III SSD available, I'd wait for more to come out. But even then, the new Intel Gen3 drives scheduled for release in 2011 are still going to be SATA II.

Compared to your current set up of HDD, you will not be dissapointed in any SSD. Set it up as a boot/program drive, that'll keep the size needed small, so you can save $$. I only use 22+ GB of my 80GB set up, with Win 7 HP, Office 2007 Enterprise, Quicken, Norton Security Suite, and all updates/plug-ins needed. I don't game, so I don't know how much more you'd need.

Go for it and Good Luck.
Related resources
November 13, 2010 12:37:03 AM

Unfortunately the big games are like 10GB installed apiece now! On my comp, Call of Duty: World At War - 8.05GB and that's two games back. Killing me trying to buy an SSD here. If you're going to install 4 or so big games, that's conservatively 40GB. 64GB SSD won't cut it for that. I'm trying to choose between the Crucial C300 and the OCZ Vertex 2 now too, or nothing and use my current 640 WD black but get a SATA III mobo and a new SATA III SSD for less later. Cheapest I'm finding the Crucial C300 128GB is $264 at Amazon.
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:24:03 PM

mikat said:
Unfortunately the big games are like 10GB installed apiece now! On my comp, Call of Duty: World At War - 8.05GB and that's two games back. Killing me trying to buy an SSD here. If you're going to install 4 or so big games, that's conservatively 40GB. 64GB SSD won't cut it for that. I'm trying to choose between the Crucial C300 and the OCZ Vertex 2 now too, or nothing and use my current 640 WD black but get a SATA III mobo and a new SATA III SSD for less later. Cheapest I'm finding the Crucial C300 128GB is $264 at Amazon.

So a Win7 installation set up for gaming (just the base system, no games installed) is over 20GB nowadays?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 15, 2010 6:16:28 AM

Yeah! Even FIFA 11 is now 6.66GB now with patches and mods it may grow! So lets just say getting a 120GB SSD (minimum) is always better.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 16, 2010 2:16:23 AM

Sure the big games are big but they won't load much faster on the ssd anyway. Keep the raptor or even the cav black for 'storage' and games. On a 60 gb ssd you can have win7, office, a game or three, and still have breathing room. Put the rest of your flight sim type games on the spinning disk.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 16, 2010 2:18:28 AM

Oops, to answer the question posed by the op. Either drive would be great! However, waiting until Feb. would clearly help bring on some proper competition.

My pat answer to the 'buy now' question is. For $100ish... why not?
m
l
November 22, 2010 11:04:53 PM

Best answer selected by Mocs123.
m
l
November 22, 2010 11:06:03 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to wait for some other Sata III drives to come out and buy a bigger ~120gig drive in the spring. I am sure I will be back for advice then. Thanks again for the help!
m
l
!