Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive listed as (I

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2009 3:19:46 AM

i reformatted my computer and my hard drive is listed as (I:)  is there any way to change this?

More about : hard drive listed

a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2009 3:24:13 AM

Is it your boot and OS drive? If so, you can't easily change it.
April 10, 2009 3:38:39 AM

i'm not sure, i just started up my comp and it showed up as an I drive, should i reformat my computer again?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2009 1:27:12 PM

Unhook all your drives except the one you want to install the OS on, and your DVD/CD drive of course. Youll need that to redo the install.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2009 2:25:01 PM

Before doing anything else, check what other drives are listed and what device they represent.
April 11, 2009 5:04:38 AM

This may or may not work... but worth a shot.

Right click on "My Computer"
Choose "Manage"
Under "Storage" click on "Disk Management"
Right click in the box to the right of the disk you want to change. It should say Windows ** (I:)  in it.
Choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
Click on "Change"
Choose what ya want.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2009 1:15:13 PM

hotcrossbuns156 said:
i reformatted my computer and my hard drive is listed as (I:)  is there any way to change this?
If you installed Windows on drive I:, then you can't simply change the drive letter to C: and hope that it works. Fortunately Windows is smart enough not to let you change it for a system or boot disk.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2009 1:24:05 PM

hotcrossbuns156 said:
If you installed Windows on drive I:, then you can't simply change the drive letter to C: and hope that it works. Fortunately Windows is smart enough not to let you change it for a system or boot disk.

If you installed on drive C: and the drive letter changed after the initial installation, then follow this procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B223188&.... Make sure that you fully understand what issue this procedure resolves.
!