• Laptops
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
September 27, 2009 2:33:26 PM

(Spec is below)

PROBLEM:
Laptop has two RAM slots
Laptop spec says it can handle a maximum of 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-533 RAM
When I use 4GB RAM I get blue screen crashes in Windows and I get Memtest86+ errors
When I use anything less than 4GB I get absolutely no problems at all and no Memtest errors

I have systematically exhausted all RAM combinations using all the compatible RAM I have available to me which is...
2 x 512
2 x 2GB
2 x 2GB (these two have now been sold)

THE ONLY THING WHICH CAUSES PROBLEMS IS 4GB (2X2GB) IN THE SYSTEM (REGARDLESS OF WHICH SLOT THE RAM IS IN). ANYTHING LESS THAN 4GB (2.5 / 2 / 512 / 1) DOES NOT CAUSE A PROBLEM (REGARDLESS OF WHICH SLOT THE RAM IS IN).

Attempted fixes:
Updated bios to most recent version - no change
Checked connectors on RAM slots and RAM sticks - clean and undamaged

Memtest86+ errors:
With 2x2GB in the laptop, LRAND, STRIDE6, WMATS+, and WINVC all fail.

Specs:
Windows XP Media Centre Edition sp3 32-bit
945GM chipset
CPU: T7400 Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz 667Mhz FSB

Motherboard RAM specs:
SO-DIMM (Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module), 2 banks.
Supports 4 GB RAM (max.), using 2 GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs.
Supports DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 memory modules.
Supports Dual Channel operation.
RAM in use:
2 x Kingston 1.8v 2GB PC2-5300 HyperX SODIMM 667Mhz (I believe it's also unbuffered, CL5, non-ECC)

Here's a link to my laptop's mobo spec...
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec...

I believe this is the RAM I'm using...
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/Laptop...

I am aware that 32-bit operating systems have a limit to the amount of RAM they can use - something like 3-4GB max, but having too much should not cause the system to crash, and it should not cause errors in Memtest.

First I thought the problem was that one of the RAM slots was broken, or that the RAM itself was faulty, but all RAM sticks work fine on their own and both RAM slots function without error when the total system RAM is less than 4GB.

I have run a system scan using Crucial.com's system scanner tool and as far as that is concerned, the RAM I am using is compatible.

The only thing I am unsure about regarding compatibility is voltage. I read somewhere that voltage is something that needs to be taken into account when considering compatibility, but my motherboard does not specify a particular voltage or range of voltages that are compatible. I have also looked into my chipset (945GM) and I cannot find out whether it only supports RAM of a certain voltage. The RAM I am using is 1.8v.

Nothing is overclocked on my system and there are no RAM settings in the bios to tamper with.

If anyone has any ideas or can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Jon

More about : 4gb ram fails memtest86 blue screens 4gb problems

a b } Memory
September 30, 2009 6:38:20 AM

It's not caused by the 3GB limitation of your 32-bit OS, that's for sure. It's more likely though that there's something wrong with your laptop motherboard, given that you've tried multiple RAM sticks.
September 30, 2009 1:17:28 PM

Motherboard is new though, and I'm pretty sure I had the same problem on the old board.
Related resources
September 30, 2009 6:33:24 PM

Give more voltage to the RAM? Its not the OS, thats for sure...
September 30, 2009 6:47:24 PM

Unfortunately, there aren't any options in the bios to change RAM voltage.

I recently read that the voltage of your RAM needs to match your motherboard. Is this true? Does anyone have any idea where I might find out what voltage my motherboard requires? - The manufacturer's RAM specs on their website doesn't say anything about voltage at all.

Thanks for the replies guys. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
!