Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mobo and DDR3 for Athlon II x4

Last response: in Motherboards
September 27, 2009 3:21:45 PM

Friends,
I'm considering getting an Athlon II x4. Can anyone recommend an AM3 motherboard for this CPU? RAID, GB Ethernet, embedded graphics and sound are not priorities. I mainly want a stable, fast board. Also, is there much performance benefit in using DDR3 system ram Vs DDR2? Thanks for your help!

More about : mobo ddr3 athlon

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 7:52:58 AM

Regarding DDR3 vs. DDR2, Tom's already concluded that DDR3 isn't worth the additional price. Also, perhaps the test setup in this article could be a good guide for your mobo choice: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241...
October 6, 2009 2:07:44 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the reply!
m
l
October 11, 2009 2:52:34 PM

Update:

I went ahead and built a system using the Athlon II x4 620 and the Gigabyte M61PME-S2P motherboard. Basically it's working fine, but I have a question about memory speed. This motherboard has a AM2+ socket and uses DDR2 1066, however when I boot the computer the POST says the memory is running at 800 mhz. Does that sound correct? All settings in the CMOS are AUTO. I flashed the board with the latest BIOS and have the option to configure the memory settings manually, but I thought I'd ask before I mess with them. TIA for any help.
m
l
Related resources
!