Justin Gollnick

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
If you have more than one computer in the house you can create your own personal local area network (LAN). If all computers are desktops, than all you need is an ethernet cord to connect computers to the router unless of course you want to make them wireless. I have a desktop, 2 laptops & a printer on my network. Now I can send print jobs to the printer from my laptops. I can share files out and also acquire files from my main computer (desktop) and my son’s laptop. Here’s how: my internet connection goes from the modem to the ethernet jack on the router (If you need directions on setting up a router read my thread on setting up hardware for a wireless & wired networks). My desktop is than connected to 1 of the 4 open jacks on the router. This is my central computer. It uses Windows XP home edition. I imagine Vista is similar as far as navigating to where you need to go, but I will provide instructions for an XP operating system. In network places there is a wireless network wizard. Launch it & follow the instructions. Create a name for you network (also called an SSID). Then you need to choose how you want to assign your encryption key. I would choose automatic. Stick with WEP encryption. WPA is stronger but less compatible. WEP is good enough for a home network. In the next step choose USB flash drive. This will make the process quicker. In the next step make sure the letter matches the one in “my computer” for removable disk. Take flash drive and plug into each laptop and run the files. All instructions should be step by step and easy to follow. When finished plug the flash drive back into the computer you started with. After that you should be complete. I would store the network settings somewhere safe. Don’t keep them on your flash drive for security purposes.