spyware in registry

A few weeks ago I loaded a spyware killer, Search &
Destroy. After running it a couple times I noticed that
at least two spyware programs appear in my registry. I do
not have a copy of my original registry. (I know now how
to and will make a copy of them if they can be restored)
Which leads to my question. Using the spykiller, can I
remove the spyware from the registry without causing a
problem? Can I reload the original registry from the
factory disks, someplace online, or would I have to do a
complete restoration? After I purchased this computer,
about two years ago, I did make an XP boot and XP startup
disk. Will they help? If anyone can help with
information, please do. Thanks. Gerald
1 answer Last reply
More about spyware registry

    Spybot Search & Destroy has a feature which will make backups of anything it
    cleans/fixes, in case you don't like the results. Read the instructions for
    the software. And no, you cannot get the "original" registry from the
    factory disks. Forget the idea.

    "Gerald" <ussjerryb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A few weeks ago I loaded a spyware killer, Search &
    > Destroy. After running it a couple times I noticed that
    > at least two spyware programs appear in my registry. I do
    > not have a copy of my original registry. (I know now how
    > to and will make a copy of them if they can be restored)
    > Which leads to my question. Using the spykiller, can I
    > remove the spyware from the registry without causing a
    > problem? Can I reload the original registry from the
    > factory disks, someplace online, or would I have to do a
    > complete restoration? After I purchased this computer,
    > about two years ago, I did make an XP boot and XP startup
    > disk. Will they help? If anyone can help with
    > information, please do. Thanks. Gerald

Configuration Registry Spyware Windows XP