Sign in with
Your question

In need of advice for budget "Gaming" PC please! :D

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2009 2:05:05 PM

Gogo gadget template!:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 20th April BUDGET RANGE: £400-£500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, 3d rendering, image editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, PSU, Graphics card.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Ebuyer, Ocuk, Novatech. (Will take allmost anything else into consideration as long as they ship to England)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Would prefer a quad core machine, however unsure what may be better.

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: N/A

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am not much of a fan building motherboards/processors so i have been looking at complete builds which i can swap hardware around with. my current setup is as follows:

E6550 core 2 duo @ 2.33ghz
4gb ram @ 666mhz (?)
HD 4850 asus 1gb
500gb sata hdd

i have been looking at the following setups:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159373/show_product_overv...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-Q6P...

I somehow still think i could get a slightly better rig for a better price?

Also a OS would help alot, but its not essential to the setup.

Another question i have is about the phenom processors, are they better or considered worse than some of the intel equivalent chips?

Thank you very much in advance!

More about : advice budget gaming

April 10, 2009 2:52:10 PM

phenom's are worse, Phenom II's own them.
April 11, 2009 12:22:06 AM

Why don't you just buy a new processor and stick it in your current rig? you will be good to go with that. Get a Q9550. What motherboard do you have? The E6550 is a 1333fsb processor so I am assuming the mb you have will also support a Q9550, but it would be good to know what mb you are using. Dropping a new CPU in is easy to do, takes about 15 minutes from opening your case to posting.
Related resources
April 11, 2009 1:36:12 PM

xthekidx said:
Why don't you just buy a new processor and stick it in your current rig? you will be good to go with that. Get a Q9550. What motherboard do you have? The E6550 is a 1333fsb processor so I am assuming the mb you have will also support a Q9550, but it would be good to know what mb you are using. Dropping a new CPU in is easy to do, takes about 15 minutes from opening your case to posting.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Im currently using "ASUS IPIBL-LA" mother board from compaq (Mother board specs)

Allthough the specs say it supports up to a q6600 which was the reason of buying pre-built system.
April 11, 2009 1:51:03 PM

it only supports 65nm.

best cpu without spending £450 would be a Q6700 for £145 and then a Copper True for £80 and the best 120mm fan you can buy for £15.

Well that's part of ya budget for you :)  well £240 of it. or you could buy an X48 mobo and Q9550 in a £400 budget.
April 11, 2009 4:03:18 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
it only supports 65nm.

best cpu without spending £450 would be a Q6700 for £145 and then a Copper True for £80 and the best 120mm fan you can buy for £15.

Well that's part of ya budget for you :)  well £240 of it. or you could buy an X48 mobo and Q9550 in a £400 budget.

Hmm! thanks!

Buying a motherboard bundle is another good option im guessing, i had a good look around but couldnt really find anything that grabbed my attention. well not enough to pull me away from This base unit. im allmost very tempted to buy it once i have managed to find the motherboard specs from ebuyer (waiting for a reply to an email) or unless anyone knows about the board in the bundle that give let me, that would be super awesome also!.

How well would the q8200 do on that pc for gaming? im not too fussed about having everything on super high with sparkles that me "Bawwww". i tend to just play WoW and warhammer.

You see my theroy behind the choice is that, the zoostorm package comes with OS, a nice bigg HDD, ram etc etc. and i can put my 4850 in there and my 750w psu. where as a bare bones motherbord bundle would cost rougly the same without the HDD, OS and the perks like a pc case and OS etc.

Still having a good browse around tho online! :D 
Thanks for the help thus far folks!
April 11, 2009 6:41:56 PM

You would need to OC the Q8200 to get some decent gaming performance out of it, and that OEM will have a locked BIOS so overclocking is out of the question.
April 11, 2009 7:49:43 PM

xthekidx said:
I'd be tempted by this if I were you:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU...
Just replace the guts of your old system with that.

Yes i was VERY, tempted by that when i saw it, the only problems i had was the fact ive allways been very nervous with building a PC...well more so the part getting the processor pasted with thermal paste and making sure the heat sink is the correct one and is intalled properly.

I guess you could say the main reason i was leaning towards the pre built zoostorm system is down to laziness.

if i was to get the phenom bundle, what would be the best cooler/paste to use with it?

thanks!
April 11, 2009 9:23:03 PM

Doing that stuff isn't very hard. I know several kids that can and have built PC's themselves.

Good cooler could be the Xigmetek HDT-S1283 with Arctic Cooling MX-2 paste. There are lots of different coolers that you could chose from that would do a good job, the xig offers great cooling for the price.
!