Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2009 2:27:08 PM

I have a Computer with these specs below:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
ECS G31T-M7
3GB Kingston DDR2 800mhz (2gb+1gb)
Palit GeForce 9400GT 512mb
AND A CRAPPY "ACROSS 500watts Power Supply" with only 14a on the +12vrail

I usually play GTA4 on that PC with an average of 36fps at 800x600. Then I upgraded my Processor from a Pentium Dual Core E5200 to a Core 2 Duo E7400 and Changed my video card from a 9400GT 512mb to a 9500GT 1gb. I put the Pentium Dual Core and the 9400GT in my other PC. As soon as I played GTA4 in my Core 2 Duo with a 9500GT PC, the graphics were distorted and ends with a BSOD saying that the drivers a reset... blah blah blah... I updated my drivers to the most recent which was 182.50 from nvidia.com but still the problem exists. So I tried installing another game. GTA San Andreas worked fine for about 30 secons then it was lagging and also ended up with a BSOD saying the same thing. What could possibly be the problem? Could it be my power supply not being able to supply the current neeed by the graphics card? I was just thinking though because the 9400GT and the 9500GT demands the same 18a minimum in the +12v rail and GTA4 runs fine with it before with the same power supply having only 14a on the rail. pls help me out. Could this be the processor? because I returned my 9500GT to the vendor and they replaced it but the problem is still there. Pls. help me. I am desperate to fix this.

My PC specs: (This is the PC I am refering to, the distorted graphics)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
ECS G31T-M7 (The same board)
3GB Kingston DDR2 800mhz (2gb+1gb)
Inno3D GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
AND THE SAME CRAPPY "ACROSS 500watts Power Supply" with only 14a on the +12vrail

More about : distorted graphics pls

April 10, 2009 8:45:19 PM

Both of those games can be quite demanding and may be over stressing your video card.

You may also be overheating your entire system. You mentioned a slowdown or lag, which can be a symptom of an overheating processor.

Here are a few utilities that are very easy small downloads and do not try to take over your system:
CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

You can use these to verify your system is configured correctly, and see if temps are getting too high while gaming.
April 10, 2009 8:46:37 PM

And yes, regardless of whether it is the source of this problem, you should get a decent PSU.
Related resources
April 11, 2009 12:35:51 PM

Thanks Proximon for the links. Ive tried monitoring the temperature. Is it too high for my CPU to have average of 37 deg. celsius on idle?
April 11, 2009 8:27:08 PM

No, but it's under load that you need to look at. Be sure to check both core temps.

If you can post screen shots of your CPU-Z tabs I'll make sure your settings are correct... I would rather not have to wade through the text wall the program generates though.

Also, completely remove all your video drivers and install a fresh one.

!