How to configure spare drive in RAID 5?

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2010 10:10:51 PM

hello mates,

I have a server with the following configuration:

Server name HP Compaq ProLiant ML570 G3
Processor: 4 x Intel Xeon Processor 3.33 GHz
RAM: 6 GB 400MHz
Hard Drives 3,each one 146.8 GB 15K ULTRA320 SCSI, Hardware based RAID 5.
C drive: 78gb and D drive 195. this is the total space.
why I have this much space if one drive is totally taken by the RAID 5?
and now I want to installed 2 more drives with the same capacity.
1 for some extra space and one for hot spare.

do I need to shutdown my server to install both the drives or I just plug them?
how can I configre 1 drive for extra storage and the other one for hot spare in case of failure and if in case of failure do I need to tell the server which drive to use or the hot spare one autamatically take the place?

any help would be appreciated.
cheers
November 13, 2010 5:17:37 AM

Let me see if I can help.

In terms of your raid 5 configuration, you can not grow or extend your space without destroying you raid 5 storage. If you do that, you will loose everything that are on the disks.

To add the extra storage, simply plug the drive in and your controller should see it. Then add it to disk manager and you are done.

I hope this helps.
November 13, 2010 7:27:40 AM

soundefx said:
Let me see if I can help.

In terms of your raid 5 configuration, you can not grow or extend your space without destroying you raid 5 storage. If you do that, you will loose everything that are on the disks.

by grow or extend you mean I can not add extra harddrive with the same capacity to make it a hot spare just in case one of the drive fails? or I can not put the HDD in the live machine to get some extra stroage for my data? right.

soundefx said:
To add the extra storage, simply plug the drive in and your controller should see it. Then add it to disk manager and you are done.

I hope this helps.

So now you are saying that I just need to plug the drive in my live machine without making it down and then run HP ACU to manage it? right
can you please clear me all this?
and yes I also want to know if there is something special I need to do in Hp ACU to get the extra storage? AND what about if I just need to make the drive hot spare, in that case after plugging the drive inn, what I would suppose to do?

TIA
cheers
Related resources
!