MP3 players install and disappear

Jasmeru

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello nice people!

Many years ago, I bought a Samsung YP-S3 mp3 player. It worked just fine on my old computer (let's call it computer 0), a Windows XP SP3 32 bits. Two years ago, I bought two exact computers (computer 1 & 2), but anytime I try to plug my mp3 on computer 1, the driver seems to install and then uninstall 10 seconds later. I tried many times over years to fix this issue, but I decided to use a computer 2 to add songs on my S3.

Over one month ago, my brother bought a mp3 player, a Sony Walkman NWZ-S544. His Walkman works on computer 2 (which has the SAME hardware as computer 1), but not on this one, and my S3 still doesn't work. It seems we have the same problem : the driver installs and then fails 10 seconds later. Of course, I could transfer every song to computer 2, but it's a long job and it would be avoiding the problem rather than correcting it.

When I open the Device Manager, in the Portable Devices section, I see S3 and Walkman NWZ-S544 with a yellow "!". The error code is 10. I've searched for solution, and I tried to update the drivers. Every time I try, Windows install MTP device, it works a few seconds and I lose it again. I tried uninstalling WMP 11, reinstalling it, I downloaded each and every Windows updates, driver updates, EVERYTHING!

But still, every time I plug my mp3 device, Windows install the driver, and can access the device a few seconds and it disappear. I don't know what is the source of the issue, but it's not from the hardware, 'cause as I said, the Walkman and the S3 works on my other computer. But I really have no clue where it comes from. MTP device driver? Why does it uninstall on its own? I tought my antivirus was to blame, but no.

Seriously, I need some help now, there has to be a solution but I don't know what it is!

Your computer may give the reason.

Right-Click on"My Computer" and select "Manage"

Click on "Event Viewer" and then "Applications."

There may be a long list of things to read, but the offending program might be listed and have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it or a red "Warning" showing. Read what it says for clues as to what is wrong.

You can read events from other sections too, there may be more to see.