Sign in with
Your question

I give up, I've tried every solution, need your help!

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2009 5:56:11 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first time here. I've been battling my new PC for 3 months now. I'll try to be descriptive as possible.

The initial problem was my PC beeped 2 short followed by 15 louder and longer beeps. I couldn't find the beep code anywhere on the net.

The PC worked perfectly for a little over a month ..then one day it just completely powered down like I held in the power switch. I turned it back on and it was fine. That night I put it in sleep mode when I went to bed (as I always do) ..the next morning I tried to wake it up but it didn't respond. I shut it off with the power button and turned it back on, everything turned on inside the case ..perfectly. Problem was it didn't give me a display at all and the mouse and keyboard didn't respond either, they weren't recognized at all. It had trouble booting before but I could always make it boot by pushing the restart button ..this time the restart button had no effect at all.

I tried to fix it for almost 2 weeks like this, at first I suspected the Motherboard so I bought a new Motherboard ..hooked it all back up and it did the same exact thing, my jaw dropped to the floor. 2 short beeps followed by 15 long louder beeps. Both Motherboards were doing the same exact thing.

I tested the memory, power supply, hard drive, video card ..the only thing I was unable to test was the CPU chip. At that point I thought for sure it had to be the CPU chip so I RMA'ed it to AMD ..got their replacement in the mail ..installed it ..turned it on aaand 2 short beeps followed by 15 longer louder beeps!!!??? At this point I was thinking about buying a sledge hammer. I'm on that very PC right now, it's running perfectly just as it did before, I suspect it will die again in about a month.

There is one difference this time around, before, it would beep 100% of the time. This time it only does it when the PC has been off for more than 1 hour. If I were to turn it off right now and start it back up in a few minutes it would not beep at all. If I were to turn it off and wait a few hours to turn it back on it would definitely go through it's beep sequence.

I've tested temperature, voltage, bios settings. I'm at a loss. In the bios, it had the floppy drive set as the first boot device, I don't even have one. The second boot device was my hard drive and the 3rd boot device was my CDROM ..I'm not familiar with some things in bios. Don't know if that may have been conflicting with anything, I changed the hard drive to the first boot device.

I'm wondering if the beeps are innocent like a minor hardware conflict and my original CPU was just defective thus making the beeps look like it was talking about the CPU?? The CPU was definitely defective right? AMD said if they found damage that was caused by installation or the operator they would not send me a replacement, they said they would only send a replacement if it indeed was a factory defect.

I've checked to make sure the Motherboard isn't touching any metal.

The system is not overclocked.

All drivers are up to date.

Thanks for any suggestions and remember I've already done many checks and have tried almost every solution on the net. I cannot locate the problem! It does not make any sense. I've also verified that no virus is involved, it's been like this since I built it. This is my 3rd build, first 2 went flawlessly, I'm doubting I'll ever do a 4th build after this mess.

Here is my build...

DYNAPOWER USA Hachiman CS-HM41602.1266 Black/ Red SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W ATX12V 2.01 for AMD and Intel system

Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard

OCZ GameXStream OCZ850GXSSLI ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 850Watts Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, UL

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

HAD THE SAME BEEP SEQUENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING MOTHERBOARD INSTALLED AS WELL!

MSI KA780G AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI N9800GT 512OC GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HAD THE SAME BEEP SEQUENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING RAM INSTALLED AS WELL!

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 (I'M RUNNING WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE SP1 64bit)

Microsoft 9VV-00001 Black 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Habu Gaming Mouse

RAZER RZ81-00030101-B2M1 eXactMat and eXactRest Bundle - Mouse Pad and Wrist Rest

OCZ Diesel 8GB Single Channel Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model OCZUSBDSL8G

Saitek P2500 Gaming Controller

HP F4135 All In One Printer/Copier/Scanner

That's everything that's ever been hooked up to this PC.

Everything has been tested on another PC and works fine with no beep sequence added. Nothing that I took out or replaced fixed the beeping. It's like the case it's self is haunted. I thought maybe it was a grounding issue with the case but I found no errors in the voltage and the Motherboard is not touching anything.

I've done so much with this demon spawn I'm sure I've left some things out lol I'll be online all day and will be able to reply to this thread frequently.

Thanks in advance!

- Z

More about : give solution

April 10, 2009 6:13:51 PM

When you "tested" the PSU, did you test it, or replace it? Might want to try a different PSU if you haven't.
April 10, 2009 6:27:19 PM

leo2kp said:
When you "tested" the PSU, did you test it, or replace it? Might want to try a different PSU if you haven't.

I didn't replace the power supply, I do have a Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply I could take out of my other PC. I did a check yesterday and it showed that my PC is using 600watts ..would the Rosewill 550watts be safe enough to hook up and test just to see if it gets rid of the beeping? Even though the voltage checks fine on screen it could still be the power supply┬┐? ..thanks. Please let me know if that Rosewill is good enough to install and do a start up.

- Z
Related resources
April 10, 2009 6:31:45 PM

Don't us a Rosewill PSU, they have a poor reputation. Get a seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Antec, possibly a Coolermaster, or Silverstone (often overpriced) psu. They tend to be more reliable. Poor quality PSUs can damage components and give inconsistent power to your computer.
April 10, 2009 7:02:08 PM

I would try another PSU. Testing it for voltage is only one metric but there are other things to consider as well. I would look in to a PC Power and Cooling or another PSU that has a single +12v rail to avoid any load-balancing confusion.

Would you mind listing your current specs? I'm a little confused by the original post as to what you have in your system and how it all adds up to 600 watts. Something that draws that much power could definitely have a load-balance issue if you have multiple +12v rails.
April 11, 2009 6:30:35 PM

Hello, I've started doing your breadboarding test today. So far I've got the PSU plugged into the MB and CPU slots on the MB. I turned it on and I didn't get any beeps at all. I noticed a feint high pitched humming noise from the PSU when it got power from being plugged in, is that normal? It was a bit louder when I shut it down ..it went from a higher pitched humming noise back to it's feint noise. Shouldn't I have gotten some kind of beep code here? There's nothing installed except for the CPU and HSF. I'll start adding things and post as I go along.

- Z
April 11, 2009 6:39:29 PM

Added memory, no beeps. Added video card, no beeps. Yes, this MB does have a built in beeper lol I've heard it many times loud and clear -_- don't know why it hasn't been beeping at me for no memory or no video card o_o

I'm about to plug in the display...

- Z
April 11, 2009 7:42:58 PM

Found the problem, thanks for the answers!

- Z
April 12, 2009 10:00:12 PM

and what was the problem?
!