[sims2] file size lots

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I've been creating some residential lots and packaging to files for safe
keeping. One thing I've noticed is the file size, their huge!

Tonight I created, on a small lot, a house, no furnishing and all walls,
floors and building materials (no gardening, just walls, stairs, windows
and doors) were Maxis made (either original game or University) and it's
just over 10mb! Zipped it's just over 4mb.

On The Sims Resource I see houses, fully furnished and on bigger lots
where the size is under 1mb (zipped, but still but unzipped it would be
2mb max).

Am I missing some settings or doing something wrong?

Bianca
12 answers Last reply
More about sims2 file size lots
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    when you package a house, all the walls, floors, terrains, downloads you
    have go into the file too. Doesn't matter if they are in the house or not.
    I've been told you can use clean installer to clean up your sims2pack files
    but I have never gotten that end of it to work for me.

    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    news:424b1935$0$144$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > I've been creating some residential lots and packaging to files for safe
    > keeping. One thing I've noticed is the file size, their huge!
    >
    > Tonight I created, on a small lot, a house, no furnishing and all walls,
    > floors and building materials (no gardening, just walls, stairs, windows
    > and doors) were Maxis made (either original game or University) and it's
    > just over 10mb! Zipped it's just over 4mb.
    >
    > On The Sims Resource I see houses, fully furnished and on bigger lots
    > where the size is under 1mb (zipped, but still but unzipped it would be
    > 2mb max).
    >
    > Am I missing some settings or doing something wrong?
    >
    > Bianca
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Remove your Downloads folder before you package the house. When you package
    up a house it will include any custom walls and floors you use (ok), and
    also any custom variants (i.e. recolours) of Maxis objects you use in the
    house. That's what puts the file size up. Same with skins, if you package
    up a family. When the person at the other end installs the house, they get
    all these extra files too. Haven't you noticed extra stuff creeping into
    your game every time you download a house? Clean Installer, BTW, allows you
    to weed out additional downloads - particularly hacks which cause no end of
    problems - before you install. You can also use it to remove the extra
    content from your packaged files by unticking the content you don't want and
    then saving the file.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    news:424b1935$0$144$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > I've been creating some residential lots and packaging to files for safe
    > keeping. One thing I've noticed is the file size, their huge!
    >
    > Tonight I created, on a small lot, a house, no furnishing and all walls,
    > floors and building materials (no gardening, just walls, stairs, windows
    > and doors) were Maxis made (either original game or University) and it's
    > just over 10mb! Zipped it's just over 4mb.
    >
    > On The Sims Resource I see houses, fully furnished and on bigger lots
    > where the size is under 1mb (zipped, but still but unzipped it would be
    > 2mb max).
    >
    > Am I missing some settings or doing something wrong?
    >
    > Bianca
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > when you package a house, all the walls, floors, terrains, downloads you
    > have go into the file too. Doesn't matter if they are in the house or not.
    > I've been told you can use clean installer to clean up your sims2pack files
    > but I have never gotten that end of it to work for me.
    >

    Thanks, haven't gotten the Clean Installer to do that either. Email EA
    about it, even if they can't help me they might think about that
    packaging *all* walls, floors, etc wasn't a good idea.

    For now I stick to making neighborhoods in SC4 then.

    Bianca
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Well you can build your house with just the bare minimum, using all maxis
    stuff, no recolors or anything like that. Then save the house. Get out of
    the game, move your downloads somewhere else temporarily, then go back into
    the game and package your house.
    I have heard that works.
    Also, best to have the house unfurnished.

    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    news:424bd14e$0$148$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > > when you package a house, all the walls, floors, terrains, downloads you
    > > have go into the file too. Doesn't matter if they are in the house or
    not.
    > > I've been told you can use clean installer to clean up your sims2pack
    files
    > > but I have never gotten that end of it to work for me.
    > >
    >
    > Thanks, haven't gotten the Clean Installer to do that either. Email EA
    > about it, even if they can't help me they might think about that
    > packaging *all* walls, floors, etc wasn't a good idea.
    >
    > For now I stick to making neighborhoods in SC4 then.
    >
    > Bianca
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > Well you can build your house with just the bare minimum, using all maxis
    > stuff, no recolors or anything like that. Then save the house. Get out of
    > the game, move your downloads somewhere else temporarily, then go back into
    > the game and package your house.
    > I have heard that works.
    > Also, best to have the house unfurnished.
    >

    I'm too lazy to do so :)
    Just found out I can run both Simcity 4 and Sims 2 at the same time,
    which comes in very handy when trying to create neighborhoods (there
    should be a stand alone neighborhood-maker).

    Maybe I can make a new user account in XP, especially for this purpose
    without all the downloads.

    Bianca
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    I know that custom content will be packaged, because of that I made a
    house decorated only with Maxis made things (no objects, only building).

    Got Clean Installer to work, saw that indeed some door and windows were
    packaged with it, however, before packaging the file I replaced those
    with Maxis made ones, seems the game remembers which things you used.

    Removed them with CI and installed the house, see what'll happen later.

    Bianca

    Maxon wrote:
    > Remove your Downloads folder before you package the house. When you package
    > up a house it will include any custom walls and floors you use (ok), and
    > also any custom variants (i.e. recolours) of Maxis objects you use in the
    > house. That's what puts the file size up. Same with skins, if you package
    > up a family. When the person at the other end installs the house, they get
    > all these extra files too. Haven't you noticed extra stuff creeping into
    > your game every time you download a house? Clean Installer, BTW, allows you
    > to weed out additional downloads - particularly hacks which cause no end of
    > problems - before you install. You can also use it to remove the extra
    > content from your packaged files by unticking the content you don't want and
    > then saving the file.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > news:424b1935$0$144$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    >
    >>I've been creating some residential lots and packaging to files for safe
    >>keeping. One thing I've noticed is the file size, their huge!
    >>
    >>Tonight I created, on a small lot, a house, no furnishing and all walls,
    >>floors and building materials (no gardening, just walls, stairs, windows
    >>and doors) were Maxis made (either original game or University) and it's
    >>just over 10mb! Zipped it's just over 4mb.
    >>
    >>On The Sims Resource I see houses, fully furnished and on bigger lots
    >>where the size is under 1mb (zipped, but still but unzipped it would be
    >>2mb max).
    >>
    >>Am I missing some settings or doing something wrong?
    >>
    >>Bianca
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Sorry - I've obviously not been clear. It doesn't matter that you've used
    only Maxis objects, what gets packaged up with those objects is ALL the
    recolours you have of them in your Downloads folder. So, for example, say
    you have 3 recolours of the basic Maxis kitchen counter and you put it in
    your house but in original Maxis colours. When you package the house, the
    game will package up the three recolours to go with the house as well as the
    original counter. Same with any build objects - which are objects anyway,
    just categorised for building.

    I'm not sure this is the entire picture though because the packaging process
    seems to go beyond that. I've not done it enough times to work it out - the
    recolours thing definitely works but I'm not sure if other stuff doesn't get
    included too, certainly the alienware computer always gets put in even if
    you don't use it. The simplest way to deal with it is to take out the
    Downloads folder (you'll still get the alienware computer because it's not
    in Downloads). I have all my Objects in their own sub-folder and also
    sub-folders for floors and walls. Some people have sub-folders for hacks
    (which I don't use). It means I can just whip out the folders and stick 'em
    somewhere else while I package lots. I also have sub-folders for my own
    objects/floors/walls which I will use in buildings I want to upload so those
    usually stay - as do the skins (though not always - skins are not so
    problematic when it comes to packaging).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    news:424bf496$0$148$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > I know that custom content will be packaged, because of that I made a
    > house decorated only with Maxis made things (no objects, only building).
    >
    > Got Clean Installer to work, saw that indeed some door and windows were
    > packaged with it, however, before packaging the file I replaced those
    > with Maxis made ones, seems the game remembers which things you used.
    >
    > Removed them with CI and installed the house, see what'll happen later.
    >
    > Bianca
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Maxon wrote:
    > Sorry - I've obviously not been clear. It doesn't matter that you've used
    > only Maxis objects, what gets packaged up with those objects is ALL the
    > recolours you have of them in your Downloads folder. So, for example, say
    > you have 3 recolours of the basic Maxis kitchen counter and you put it in
    > your house but in original Maxis colours. When you package the house, the
    > game will package up the three recolours to go with the house as well as the
    > original counter. Same with any build objects - which are objects anyway,
    > just categorised for building.
    >
    > I'm not sure this is the entire picture though because the packaging process
    > seems to go beyond that. I've not done it enough times to work it out - the
    > recolours thing definitely works but I'm not sure if other stuff doesn't get
    > included too, certainly the alienware computer always gets put in even if
    > you don't use it. The simplest way to deal with it is to take out the
    I know, but in the lot I packaged yesterday I didn't have any objects
    and the recolours of the door/windows I changed into default Maxis doors
    and windows before packaging, still they are in there.

    I haven't got special folders for walls, floors, etc. Which is what I am
    going to do with CI.

    Bianca


    > Downloads folder (you'll still get the alienware computer because it's not
    > in Downloads). I have all my Objects in their own sub-folder and also
    > sub-folders for floors and walls. Some people have sub-folders for hacks
    > (which I don't use). It means I can just whip out the folders and stick 'em
    > somewhere else while I package lots. I also have sub-folders for my own
    > objects/floors/walls which I will use in buildings I want to upload so those
    > usually stay - as do the skins (though not always - skins are not so
    > problematic when it comes to packaging).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > news:424bf496$0$148$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    >
    >>I know that custom content will be packaged, because of that I made a
    >>house decorated only with Maxis made things (no objects, only building).
    >>
    >>Got Clean Installer to work, saw that indeed some door and windows were
    >>packaged with it, however, before packaging the file I replaced those
    >>with Maxis made ones, seems the game remembers which things you used.
    >>
    >>Removed them with CI and installed the house, see what'll happen later.
    >>
    >>Bianca
    >
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Stupid question: do you have to exit Sims 2, move download folder and
    restart Sims 2 again? Or can I move the folder while I'm still in Sims 2?

    Bianca

    Maxon wrote:
    > Sorry - I've obviously not been clear. It doesn't matter that you've used
    > only Maxis objects, what gets packaged up with those objects is ALL the
    > recolours you have of them in your Downloads folder. So, for example, say
    > you have 3 recolours of the basic Maxis kitchen counter and you put it in
    > your house but in original Maxis colours. When you package the house, the
    > game will package up the three recolours to go with the house as well as the
    > original counter. Same with any build objects - which are objects anyway,
    > just categorised for building.
    >
    > I'm not sure this is the entire picture though because the packaging process
    > seems to go beyond that. I've not done it enough times to work it out - the
    > recolours thing definitely works but I'm not sure if other stuff doesn't get
    > included too, certainly the alienware computer always gets put in even if
    > you don't use it. The simplest way to deal with it is to take out the
    > Downloads folder (you'll still get the alienware computer because it's not
    > in Downloads). I have all my Objects in their own sub-folder and also
    > sub-folders for floors and walls. Some people have sub-folders for hacks
    > (which I don't use). It means I can just whip out the folders and stick 'em
    > somewhere else while I package lots. I also have sub-folders for my own
    > objects/floors/walls which I will use in buildings I want to upload so those
    > usually stay - as do the skins (though not always - skins are not so
    > problematic when it comes to packaging).
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    > "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > news:424bf496$0$148$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    >
    >>I know that custom content will be packaged, because of that I made a
    >>house decorated only with Maxis made things (no objects, only building).
    >>
    >>Got Clean Installer to work, saw that indeed some door and windows were
    >>packaged with it, however, before packaging the file I replaced those
    >>with Maxis made ones, seems the game remembers which things you used.
    >>
    >>Removed them with CI and installed the house, see what'll happen later.
    >>
    >>Bianca
    >
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    I should really learn to read, indeed all the recolours get packed,
    annoying and useless (IMHO).

    Also found out you have to exit Sims 2 in order to remove the folders,
    going to the neighbourhood screen won't work.

    Also found that if I remove all the excess files with CI you only have
    the lot file "lotSegmentForUpload" which is an empty package and the lot
    won't be added to the list.

    Bianca

    Rumpel wrote:
    > Maxon wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry - I've obviously not been clear. It doesn't matter that you've
    >> used
    >> only Maxis objects, what gets packaged up with those objects is ALL the
    >> recolours you have of them in your Downloads folder. So, for example,
    >> say
    >> you have 3 recolours of the basic Maxis kitchen counter and you put it in
    >> your house but in original Maxis colours. When you package the house,
    >> the
    >> game will package up the three recolours to go with the house as well
    >> as the
    >> original counter. Same with any build objects - which are objects
    >> anyway,
    >> just categorised for building.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure this is the entire picture though because the packaging
    >> process
    >> seems to go beyond that. I've not done it enough times to work it out
    >> - the
    >> recolours thing definitely works but I'm not sure if other stuff
    >> doesn't get
    >> included too, certainly the alienware computer always gets put in even if
    >> you don't use it. The simplest way to deal with it is to take out the
    >
    > I know, but in the lot I packaged yesterday I didn't have any objects
    > and the recolours of the door/windows I changed into default Maxis doors
    > and windows before packaging, still they are in there.
    >
    > I haven't got special folders for walls, floors, etc. Which is what I am
    > going to do with CI.
    >
    > Bianca
    >
    >
    >> Downloads folder (you'll still get the alienware computer because it's
    >> not
    >> in Downloads). I have all my Objects in their own sub-folder and also
    >> sub-folders for floors and walls. Some people have sub-folders for hacks
    >> (which I don't use). It means I can just whip out the folders and
    >> stick 'em
    >> somewhere else while I package lots. I also have sub-folders for my own
    >> objects/floors/walls which I will use in buildings I want to upload so
    >> those
    >> usually stay - as do the skins (though not always - skins are not so
    >> problematic when it comes to packaging).
    >>
    >> Best wishes
    >> Maxon
    >>
    >> "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    >> news:424bf496$0$148$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    >>
    >>> I know that custom content will be packaged, because of that I made a
    >>> house decorated only with Maxis made things (no objects, only building).
    >>>
    >>> Got Clean Installer to work, saw that indeed some door and windows were
    >>> packaged with it, however, before packaging the file I replaced those
    >>> with Maxis made ones, seems the game remembers which things you used.
    >>>
    >>> Removed them with CI and installed the house, see what'll happen later.
    >>>
    >>> Bianca
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Oh good - you've got it now. I think nearly everyone, including Maxis,
    realises packaging up things like this was a mistake but I guess they can't
    change it now.

    Yes, you need to exit the game altogether to remove the folders - the game
    holds the files open while you play and so you will get the 'can't move ***
    because the file is in use' message.

    Finally, yes I'm not sure about that last one - most of my lots only have
    lotSegmentForUpload bit - including ones I have DL from elsewhere and
    installed. Did you save with CI? I might have a bit of a poke about with
    that and see if I can work out what's going on. Oh, did you install using
    CI? There seem to be some issues if you have University installed.

    Best wishes
    Maxon


    "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    news:424c0633$0$142$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > I should really learn to read, indeed all the recolours get packed,
    > annoying and useless (IMHO).
    >
    > Also found out you have to exit Sims 2 in order to remove the folders,
    > going to the neighbourhood screen won't work.
    >
    > Also found that if I remove all the excess files with CI you only have
    > the lot file "lotSegmentForUpload" which is an empty package and the lot
    > won't be added to the list.
    >
    > Bianca
    >
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    After reading nine 19th century novels and about 13 American plays in
    the last six weeks my reading skills and reading comprehension must have
    deteriorated :)

    Installing it when I removed every not used item with CI (and saved with
    CI) doesn't install anything. I have the latest CI, installed some other
    lots with it today and they showed up.

    For now I'm giving up, haven't got the time to keep exiting the game,
    moving folders, restarting the game. Found out I can play SC4 and Sims2
    at the same time, which comes in handy when creating new neighbourhoods,
    so I'm going to focus on that for a bit.

    Bianca

    Maxon wrote:
    > Oh good - you've got it now. I think nearly everyone, including Maxis,
    > realises packaging up things like this was a mistake but I guess they can't
    > change it now.
    >
    > Yes, you need to exit the game altogether to remove the folders - the game
    > holds the files open while you play and so you will get the 'can't move ***
    > because the file is in use' message.
    >
    > Finally, yes I'm not sure about that last one - most of my lots only have
    > lotSegmentForUpload bit - including ones I have DL from elsewhere and
    > installed. Did you save with CI? I might have a bit of a poke about with
    > that and see if I can work out what's going on. Oh, did you install using
    > CI? There seem to be some issues if you have University installed.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon
    >
    >
    > "Rumpel" <rumpelteazer@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
    > news:424c0633$0$142$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    >
    >>I should really learn to read, indeed all the recolours get packed,
    >>annoying and useless (IMHO).
    >>
    >>Also found out you have to exit Sims 2 in order to remove the folders,
    >>going to the neighbourhood screen won't work.
    >>
    >>Also found that if I remove all the excess files with CI you only have
    >>the lot file "lotSegmentForUpload" which is an empty package and the lot
    >>won't be added to the list.
    >>
    >>Bianca
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

File Size Sims Video Games