Sign in with
Your question

New SYSTEM...

Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2011 2:30:55 AM

Hi All,

Would like to give you my system details i built this holiday All the ups and down and ask for your input.

I started off with a modest budget -- MMmmmmm 1000USD , Of the bat This nevey worked .

Went out and started buying some parts to upgrade my old system 2 x Dual core AMD 72, 4GB, 260GTX etc, started off just picking up a msi-p55-gd 80 and 870, at the time seemed the best combination for the money, and i wanted intel was my first intel since the MMX200. I bought some crossair 2 x 2GB1600 ram, Then last one the local best buy had (no patience) and also got 1333 :? replacing soon. Then as all things remain equal and while i was going to keep what i had i started buying extra's intel 40 GB SDD, to replace my 300GB raptor. Always been overclocking but air has kinda been my thing Toyed with an old VipoChill in early 2000's, but for the Day to day its a bit of a waste in my opinion. And the unreal tournament days, reminising fondly back to the FRAG days.

i reguarly read the forums, so i decided to venture forth and install water cooling for several reasons but mainly because, its the first time, and like with all first times its a rush and i had to break my water cooled virginity, i went and bought a H50.

Proud of the water cooled setup, i started reading the threads and Most of the serious enthusiast frequenting these forums think water KITS are for Sissies. The Variety of comments relating to users installing "KITS" was unrevealing and i a 15 year hardcore gamer and PC entusiast was not a water cooled Pu..y Kit installer. And hence phase 2 started.

After much research and reading at least a month ago i settled on , on the MANS WATER COOLED system and DD i was leaning towards, but i dare not get a kit that has everything no i had to mix and match to be in a different class, and settled on a combination of TH, Swiftech, DD and KL

1) Swift tech GPZ CPU block, got it for the High flow rate...
2) DD reserviour 5.25 reservoir... wanted one in the bay. Was thinking of buying a DD KIT but MMMM .... Dont want to be labled The KIT boy.
3) 3 fan DD raidiator and 1 Fan koolance Raidiator?, yes had to get a different make.
4) Of course a real enthusiast does not use single GPU so i hunted for an other old GTX 260 (BFG) and got one for 80 USD on Ebay. Got the Blocks ... also mission. TH bad move it only covered the GPU and not the memory so i blew the second one in SLI on water --- spectacular to see a ram chip burn --- worth the 80USD .
5) Another 260?, mmm Go big or go home --- so i picked up 2 x gtx 460 ...for micro centre 136USD a POP was a buy i appreciate today -- Microcentre staff they now greet me by my first name as i enter the store, has become home away from home.
6) Picked up some dd Fitings th , from the net and surprisingly Microcentre had a huge selection including those awesome dd Fill ports Got 3 Just beacause they so nice .... , and some fittings and DD tube.
7) what these forums don't tell you is there is a host of barbs Fittings and an a double amount of tube sizes.. 1/2 with 3/8 wall etc etc etc .... considering a barb sets you back like 6 Bucks can become expensive if you're not careful. Alternatively you can just buy too many and sit with what is left, and of course the one last compression fitting you're missing you cannot find, anywhere.
8) Ok so know i had the Best CPU block (in my novice Watercooling eyes), the GPU blocks, the reservoir the Tube.
9) Pump --- DAM cant get DD again and i liked the Swift tech mcp255 and the TH D500, so i got both. Again also picked up a heavy duty 1000L pA 110V pump just in case i needed the extra flow.
10) Installation had started in my old Antech full tower, (love it), but of course the raidiator will not fit so off to Micro Again and got the Crossair D700, Several reasons, wanted the solid front panel to install an extra "Large FAn". iTS REALLY THE SAME CASE for 120USD less " got it on special " :) . also just pickup some more fittings and a Fan cooling for the RAM. The fittings is an adiction on its own i have enough to build ontother two PC infact im going to reinstall that dual AMP processor motherboard again i have enough and some spare blocks and the remaining gtx 260.
11) The Loop the big pump .... aaagh waste of money, installed the SW flow was a little lethargic so i added the Th and it was perfect plus offered some redundencies as i run my PC 24/7 wife and kids during the day and me at night. ( we have 4 PC at home but they Must use mine ....:p .
12) i had 2 loops but, i dont know the single loop looks better and because of the flow rate i get, i really see no need.
13) Also got some nice sleaved cables to make it look nice and clean.

the end result is :

msi -p55-gd80 with i7870 swifttech GPZ - 2 x gtx 460. TH Waterblock and Zultsman VGA ram coolers. DD 5.25 reservour, swiftech mcp 255 and TH d500 running in series, intel 40GB SSD, 300 Raptor and two 750GB storage mirrored. To raidiators one 3 fan on the top and another in the sigle FAN with two fans push and pull at the bottom were the additional drive bays were. For a wapping 2000USD sure you could do with less but at least have have loads of spares and theythey are so very awsome DD Fittings are an art to there own.

What this means overclocking :

Standard no overclocking :

1) runs ambiant 26-30C
2) load rarely never goes over 40C tested 4 hours under load.
Pc Mark Vantage score ; just shy of 30000 Beats most single 480 and overclocked makes the 480 the granny corossing the road in traffic and the 460the joung kids helping her over the road.

Over clocked ; OC genie .... aaahg waste of time Core V to 1.4 .... in my opinion a bit silly and then drops the voltage under load /.. ;?. 3.2

1) Runs also 30C
2) Load 50C

PC mark Vantage ; just shy of 32000

Manual :) , 4.0 Give or take a couple, plus Graphics to 901.

Runs idle 40-50C
Load ; High 60's c including GPU, slipping into the 70's

Final Conclusion ;

1) Any input on the OC Genie ?, Im i right is the 1.4 V a Bad for 24/7 ?
2) What you think of my setup ? Although the Journey was long and hard, i think this is outside the KIT Installers ?
3) Single loop with high frow, would realy appresiate some expert Comment on this ?
4) I have the pumps connected from the reservour to Pull and then pushing through the Loop, is this correct, i fill through the bay and have a dd T acrilic jointat the bottom were the pumps are as discharge and maintanace ?
5) was looking around for chipset coolers but the Motherboard does realy well and with full load at over clock im not realy going over 45C wouth it or not ?
6) Was also thinking to get the coolance RAm coolers, but thecooling crab fan seem to be doing the trick?
7) i have the single Raidiator streight after the Pump... perhaps not the best but was thinking to cool the water before entering the loop there are reasons at higher clocks.?
8) would this qualify me as not at the very least in the KIT installers club ?

Regrets :

1) should have got the i7 875 know the extra seems trivial.
2) Should have got the full GPU Cover blocks and sli water connecters. The Tube leaves me wanting .
3) should have gone full DD (non Kit option), the meticulous detail and the thought they put into every part is exceptional, practical and Bordering on Genious. I have some compression fittings i replaced two in my loop with TH just so i can keep two on my desk .... No judging have friends that are even stranger.

+'s;

1) Im old school so Not realy into the new games, excepting starcraft .... and its awsome !
2) Water VS air, Think its worth it overall, its subtle enough to leave running at stock but when you have the urge to Puch the evelope its there and exciting, overclock her and watch her dance.
3) Admittedly - most of the higer end "NON KIT installers" are correct, if your going to do it do it properly or stick to air,
messing about with the Kits leaves you wanting and eventualy they become paper weights or on ebay for the next novice to play with.
5) DD Rocks bejond and measure .... everything i have purchaced from them is worth the money.

Pictures. ---

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/slangkak/IMG0...

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/slangkak/IMG0...

More about : system

January 2, 2011 7:40:24 AM

phew!! that took a while to even skim through =P

first off quite a bit of money you dropped there for just the tower and cooling!! all you need now is a cage around your computer so the family cant get to it....a small dog cage and lock will run ya like an extra $30 but its better then getting nail polish and cookies all over your goods.

anyways =) i ran into a question you had in your post about having a radiator before your components...

it really does not make a difference because the radiator although it cools the liquid wont cool it to the point where theres a MAJOR difference between the temps going in and temps going out of the rad. eventually the loop will reach an equalibriam and it'll fluctuate a few degrees depending on what you're doing. mine usually idles at 28c.....runs at about 30c when doing normal stuff and goes to about 35-38 while gaming. i dont have a water thermometer on my loop but im sure it runs quite a bit cooler then your cpu and the temps dont change much at all in your loop....hope it answers your question
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 3, 2011 1:00:21 PM

It seems like you did a lot of trial and error yourself (and in the end bought a bunch of stuff you probably didn't need...how many pumps did you buy?)

DangerDen makes some pretty decent full cover GPU blocks, the Swiftech CPU block you got is one of the best. However, there aren't any extra points for building a loop out of all 'DD parts', and their pumps are simply rebranded Laing pumps...same as Swiftech and some of Koolance pumps.

All in all, it looks like a pretty decent build. The H50 isn't horribly bad, but the H70 would have been a better buy, if you wanted to go self-contained. However, you wouldn't have benefitted from the GPU cooling you added as well. You don't need to watercool RAM or either the northbridge or southbridge...it won't benefit you in overclocking. Just have good case airflow and you are set.

As for the info from i4yue:

Yes, your water temps won't be what is listed in your temp monitoring...it will be lower. And those temps that are showing, typically fluctuate up and down and by the time those seconds pass, the heat will be absorbed by the block and dissipated into the water. Your system will reach an equilibrium that is the result of flow rates and radiator/fans used.

Loop order doesn't matter...just as long as the reservoir is placed before the pump and typically higher so it will always feed the pump intake...you don't want any air getting into the pump...you want to bleed it all out of your loop.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2011 3:34:33 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It seems like you did a lot of trial and error yourself (and in the end bought a bunch of stuff you probably didn't need...how many pumps did you buy?)

DangerDen makes some pretty decent full cover GPU blocks, the Swiftech CPU block you got is one of the best. However, there aren't any extra points for building a loop out of all 'DD parts', and their pumps are simply rebranded Laing pumps...same as Swiftech and some of Koolance pumps.

All in all, it looks like a pretty decent build. The H50 isn't horribly bad, but the H70 would have been a better buy, if you wanted to go self-contained. However, you wouldn't have benefitted from the GPU cooling you added as well. You don't need to watercool RAM or either the northbridge or southbridge...it won't benefit you in overclocking. Just have good case airflow and you are set.

As for the info from i4yue:

Yes, your water temps won't be what is listed in your temp monitoring...it will be lower. And those temps that are showing, typically fluctuate up and down and by the time those seconds pass, the heat will be absorbed by the block and dissipated into the water. Your system will reach an equilibrium that is the result of flow rates and radiator/fans used.

Loop order doesn't matter...just as long as the reservoir is placed before the pump and typically higher so it will always feed the pump intake...you don't want any air getting into the pump...you want to bleed it all out of your loop.

+1 to you good sir
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
January 6, 2011 4:49:17 PM

Interesting post! Learn from your mistakes eh? My next PC will likely be WC. Love your core temps btw.

Anyway, about the OC.

OC Genie is teh suck. Seriously, the short version is all they do is have "preset" overclocks and if your system checks the right boxes, then here's the preset for you. It's way over volted to "guarantee" it'll work.

I'm pretty sure the 870, being an i7, has the same specs as other i7s rather than the i5 750, on the same mobo. So that means the 870 should be 1.55V max Vcore and 1.35V max QPI/VTT/IMC (different mobos display it differently). You should definitly manually adjust these two voltages as low as you can while being stable.

Oh yeah and as for the voltage dropping under load, that's Vdroop. Most mobos have Load Line Calibration which prevents this from happening (ie: stable voltage). LLC is great if you disable Turbo/EIST because your CPU speed will be the same. But for a Turbo enabled OC, I find allowing the VDroop is best because the CPU needs different voltages at different speeds/core usage. I did my exact same OC with LLC on and off, LLC on my Vcore was ~1.32 and LLC off it was 1.38, however, with it off my temps were also 3C cooler because under load it drops to 1.29V or so.
m
l
!