Any overclocking tips in order to prevent GPU failure? :)

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
hi, i was wondering if you guys can help me to overclock my GPU.

i'm using an Inno3D GT240 512MB DDR5 and i want to boost it performance more but i don't know how to overclock, in a safe way. lol.

well i've tried to overclock my 9500GT before, then changed it's fan but after a few months, the games are already crashing after playing for more than an hour (or sometimes less). sorry but i can't remember how far i went on the clocks.

as i observed, my 9500GT reaches 74C (with its new fan) when playing games and still, it increases overtime while my new GT240 has reached 60C after playing for like 45mins. the fan really helps a lot that's why i want to use it as an advantage in overclocking and i just bought my GT240 2 days ago uhm that's why i want to be more careful when overclocking this one. lol.

i'm using MSI Afterburner for overclocking before, but as of now i just want to use it to monitor the temp of my GPU.

uhm so how should i overclock my GPU properly? because before i was just adjusting the clocks then bake my GPU using furmark with no sense at all. lol.

what would be the signs if my GPU has reached it's limit?

oh about my system specs, here it is:
mobo: ASUS KPL-AM/SE
cpu: Intel Dual Core E6300 2.8ghz
gpu: Inno3D GT240 512MB DDR5
ram: Apacer Tech. 2GB RAM
HD1: Seagate Barracuda 80GB
HD2: Seagate Barracuda 250GB
PSU: 500W

thanks a lot! :)

PcVeteran

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well artifact appearance is a sign of memory instability,when overclocking as I'm sure you know adjust the clocks at 5mhz intervals.

Also Msi afterburner is top notch in my opinion.Just be sure to run some benchmarks and monitor heat and watch for artifacts.As a rule of thumb I never go above 80c and if the card requires more than 70% fan usage then you have hit you limit and should be cautious.

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
@PcVeteran: is it fine to just maintain the fan speed @ 50%? i mean in case my GPU gets hotter. btw, my GPU hits 60C when playing games for like an hour or more.

@saint19: here's my GPU clocks: (sorry if i wasn't able to put 'em lol)

core: 550
shader: 1340
memory: 1700
fan speed (auto)

there :) thanks! :D

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

you mean i should create a profile with my fan in auto mode? just like this?
untitled-3.jpg

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
i checked the "enable user defined softare automatic control" box. the default fan speed/temp was from 10-50C the speed would be 50% and it increases by 10% as the temp becomes hotter by 10C.

now i made some adjustments. whenever the temp starts to rise by 61C, the fan speed will be at 70%. is that fine? :)

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
i also read on some forums that there are points that are given to your GPU after benchmarking. what does those points mean? like for example, someone said that this GPU has higher points than others.

thanks! :)

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
how many minutes does it take to finish the full stability? because some ppl would say that running 3d mark for just 5 mins is fine. the real benchmarking is by playing games for an hour or more.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
You don't have to run a benchmark for so long, as benchmarking tests the GPU at 99% to 100% capacity, whereas games would run the GPU at much lower (the game would be unplayable if it pulls the GPU to 100% due to VERY crappy framerates). A good and simple benchmarking tool I found is a screensaver from NVidia. It uses insanely high-resource computing to run, and it runs the GPU at about 95% for as long as it is enabled. You can DL it from here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/graphicsplus/us/download.asp Deselect all boxes and select just the screensaver, and click Download. It is free, and it works the GPU quite extensively.

You can then use Afterburner to check how the GPU temperature responds to load, and you can overclock whilst testing with the screensaver to your heart's content. I did it like this:

1. Checked my GPU temp.
2. Installed the screensaver, set everything to max.
3. Clicked "Preview" to initialize it instantly.
4. Let it run for 10 minutes.
5. Close the screensaver, checked GPU temp on Afterburner.
5. OC.
6. Go to step 3.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 until you are happy, and then tune the GPU back 10% of the amount to OC'd (if you overclocked 100MHz, turn back 10MHz to OC only 90MHz). This saves the GPU from harsh temps even more, and prolongs it's life.

First good tip: DO NOT OC with a stock cooler, the heat dissipation is too weak! I have a GTX460 Cyclone, and even I am not comfortable with overclocking it to even within the recommended limits.
Second good tip: OC'd hardware usually loses it's warranty, and has a very bad re-sell value. Think before you OC, consider what you gain and lose!

1- 90% of GPU overclocking is do it with stock cooler, you only need find the GPU limit, have good airflow and define a fan profile.
2- How cares warranty? If you want overclock you know that warranty don't apply, and regarding the re-sell value isn't an excuse, even if you don't overclock the GPU and sell it with stock clock, you can't sell it at the same price that you bought, so, in both ways, you lose money.