First time overclocking here.

Here are my specs:

Intel E6750 (2.67ghz default)
Asus P5N-D
4gb Patriot DDR2-800
BFG Geforce GTX 260
Win7 64bit

Here's what I've done:

Using some guides on the forums here, I've bumped the FSB from the default 333mhz up to 400mhz. I left the multiplier at the default 8, so it's running at 3.2ghz. I left the PCIE at the default setting of 100mhz, and set the RAM/FSB ratio to "unlinked", keeping the RAM at the default 800mhz. I haven't touched any other RAM settings (timings are all set to "auto").

I started out with the vcore at 1.25, but the system keeps locking up at random (sometimes it does it at idle). So, I've slowly stepped it up to where it is now at 1.33 (haven't stress-tested at this level yet). I don't have any temperature problems--even during stress test the core temps seem to level off around 45C (I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor for temps and Prime95 for stress).

So here's my newbie question:

Are the system lock-ups I'm having probably a result of the vcore being too low (i.e., should I keep pushing it higher)? Or is it possible that I need to adjust the other voltages or memory timings or something?

Thanks in advance!
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 1, 2011 3:09:35 PM

Since your load temps are relatively low, I think that you can push your vcore higher. Don't exceed 70 C or about 1.45 volts, whichever happens first.

I'm pretty sure that the max recommended voltage for the E6750 is 1.5 volts, but I don't like running that close to the edge of the rating envelope.
m
l
January 2, 2011 3:37:50 AM

Thanks!

It seems to be fairly stable now at 1.375v

Actually I realized that it was running at about this voltage setting before I OC'd it (with the vcore set to auto).
m
l
!