Sign in with
Your question

Midi playback device for windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
September 11, 2011 8:43:55 PM

how do i play midi files through my laptop with yamaha sounds - the sound card in the laptop does not have the sounds that i need to make it sound correct.
September 12, 2011 3:28:24 AM

The MIDI playback supplied by Microsoft will sound very much like a computer from the 1970's.

If you want real music playback, you'll need to purchase a better MIDI playback device.

If you have a better MIDI player, make it the one that Windows uses....

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio (tab)>MIDI Music Playback
and select your better player. Also click the "Only use default devices" so it can't be switched by an application.
m
l
September 12, 2011 1:32:19 PM

what do you recommend i purchase - i want it to look for yamaha sounds - thanks for your advice. i have been researching this for over 4 years. you are my first response. thanks!!!
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2011 3:57:35 PM

so if i were to purchase Avid 9900-52538-00 External Sound Box - USB - External, i only need to hook it into my laptop and it will playback the midis with higher quality sounds?
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
September 13, 2011 4:22:21 PM

leesky56 said:
so if i were to purchase Avid 9900-52538-00 External Sound Box - USB - External, i only need to hook it into my laptop and it will playback the midis with higher quality sounds?

I do not think that will work, that is only a connection device, it does not look to be an actual sound card.

You'd need something like this http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-com-7-1-usb-audio-adap..., although I would not really recomend that one unless you can try it and return it if it's no good. This is a bit cheap for quality external audio.

this should have better quality http://www.buy.com/prod/creative-x-fi-70sb109500000-ext...

You may need both, the sound card to process the data, and the interface to connect it and get the input levels sorted out.
m
l
!