Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D, am I out of luck?

Last response: in CPUs
July 15, 2009 5:33:22 AM

I currently have a Pentium D 830 3.0GHz, and I desperately want to get a new graphics card to play WoW, and SC2 and Diablo III when they come out..

With my smoking hot Pentium D, will I be able to run these games even when I upgrade my GPU? I currently have no graphics card, and run WoW and a blazing fast speed of 10 FPS in the heat of battle, and it's starting to really get to me.

Could you recommend a card that won't be bottlenecked by my wonderful CPU?
I was thinking of getting a GTS 250, but I realized the bottleneck will be severe and I'm really beginning to think I'm out of luck..

Please help.

More about : pentium luck

a b à CPUs
a c 107 U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 6:30:55 AM

At least it's a dual core rather than a single core P4. Any chance you could overclock it? Anyway a GTS 250 or Radeon 4850 would be fine if you also plan to use them in a future build. If not, then I say a 9600GT would be about right (or a radeon 4830 if you get it at around the same price as it would be better).
July 15, 2009 6:39:28 AM

+1, try to overclock it if you can, but since those PD's produce alot of heat you may to need get a HSF upgrade,
Related resources
July 15, 2009 7:03:17 AM

What clock speed should I go for? And if I have any money left over I may be able to get a new HSF, are there any you recommend?

So you're saying Pentium D 830 3.0GHz, 3 GB of ram, and a GTS 250 will produce minimal to no bottleneck?
a c 127 à CPUs
July 15, 2009 7:04:13 AM

Well what is your mobo? Depending on the brand and chipset you may be able to upgrade to a newer CPU to match that GPU.

And since a 250 is essentially a 8800 rebranded it wont need much, say maybe a Core 2 or even a Pentium DC.

Also I remember that the Pentium D 805 would OC pretty well with the right HSF and since the 830 was in the same series it might since it will have a higher multiplier as well.

Still post more of your specs and we can see if we can get you fixed up.
a c 127 à CPUs
July 15, 2009 7:23:15 AM

Quote:
Pentium D 830 3.0GHz
Intel 945G board (Socket 775 of course)
1GB DDR2 RAM
Then there's the motherboard's onboard graphics and a completely unnecessary TV Tuner as well..

Hmmm. Well since its an Intel mobo CPU support gets limited.

And the TV Tuner isn't useless. Set it up right and you have a personal unlimited storage space DVR.

What I would suggest is maybe another gig of RAM and the GPU since you probably have the one that would be decent.

Also try researching to see if you can OC it to maybe 3.4-3.5GHz.
July 15, 2009 7:28:19 AM

If I don't overclock it, will I be fine with 2 more gigs or RAM, a GTS 250, and a decent 500W PSU?
My main concern is bottleneck, because thats all I hear about the Pentium D CPU, and this has stopped me from purchasing a GPU so far.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 7:46:34 AM

Depending on what memory is installed you need to have it installed in pairs - and not have 2gb on one channel and 1 gb on the other.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 is a good HSF for reasonable money - and will allow a decent overclock. My old D830 use to be good for 3.4 ghz... and was paired with an 8800GT which allowed most modern games to run with decent quality / performance settings
July 15, 2009 7:52:20 AM

Yeah it came stock with two sticks of 512MB, and I plan on getting two more 1GB sticks :) 

I will definitely consider the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.. It looks like a quality HSF, assuming this is the one you are referring to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if that HSF will fit, because of my case/CPU air duct.
a c 180 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 170 U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 8:01:19 AM

First, check out this chart:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

I know a lot about bottlenecks and I can say that any more than an 8800GT would be a waste of money. That's a NO to the 250.

If you can upgrade everything you need for under $200 then I'd consider it, otherwise it would be best to put that money towards something like an AMD AM3 system such as:
- AM3 motherboard
- $150 to $200 AM3 CPU
- 4GB DDR3
- high-end NVidia card
- 1TB Black WD hard drive (2 partitions)

If I was building I'd wait for Windows 7 to be released, then buy an OEM copy of it (64bit). The other reason to wait is for the newer high-end 40nm NVidia cards (date uncertain).

Other parts:
-Auzentech Forte X-Fi sound card
-nice speakers
July 15, 2009 8:18:07 AM

photonboy said:
First, check out this chart:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

I know a lot about bottlenecks and I can say that any more than an 8800GT would be a waste of money. That's a NO to the 250.

If you can upgrade everything you need for under $200 then I'd consider it, otherwise it would be best to put that money towards something like an AMD AM3 system such as:
- AM3 motherboard
- $150 to $200 AM3 CPU
- 4GB DDR3
- high-end NVidia card
- 1TB Black WD hard drive (2 partitions)

If I was building I'd wait for Windows 7 to be released, then buy an OEM copy of it (64bit). The other reason to wait is for the newer high-end 40nm NVidia cards (date uncertain).

Other parts:
-Auzentech Forte X-Fi sound card
-nice speakers

Although that is what I want to get(a Phenom II X3 720 system), I dont think that will happen for another year or two, and by then better CPUs will be out.

I was going to pay $200 for the GTS 250 and the PSU combined, and then the RAM was going to be bought for me by someone else, but since you said there will be bottleneck, is there another card you could recommend, because I could not find any available 8800GTs. Thanks
July 15, 2009 10:54:48 AM

Yegods, considering that the Intel integrated video is just slightly more powerful than etch-a-sketch I would imagine anything you can plug into that PCIe slot will be a massive improvement. I know WoW minimum specs are pretty low, but still...

Tricky balancing act for what to get now though, I wouldn't be tempted to spend a fortune on a new graphics card, lots of power to be had for not much money nowadays.

I don't see any harm in having something slightly more powerful than your P4D warrants if you intend on using the card in a new build sooner rather than later. I just wouldn't go overboard, face it a year down the line and the new card will have been surpassed a few times over. Having said that you have made do with the inbuilt for this long, who knows how long you can make a newer on last.
July 15, 2009 11:38:57 AM

ivebeenshottt said:
Yeah it came stock with two sticks of 512MB, and I plan on getting two more 1GB sticks :) 

I will definitely consider the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.. It looks like a quality HSF, assuming this is the one you are referring to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT: I'm actually not sure if that HSF will fit, because of my case/CPU air duct.
http://supcontent.gateway.com/support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4055/405506.jpg

Your case and layout looks like a BTX case and motherboard, and since BTX has been dropped you cannot get a newer motherboard to fit in the case. The case is a bit tight on BTX cases. Of course you can upgrade the graphics card, if your power supply can handle it. Exactly what is the model number of your motherboard?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 12:25:44 PM

Pentium D...I'd go with a 4850, as anything more will be hopelessly bottlenecked. I do NOT recommend overheating that monster unless you have a ready supply of N2O on hand.

You'll be able to play WOW without any problems, same with most older games. Wouldn't want to run anything on the scale of Crysis though, and settings will need to be lowered on newer games to make them playable with that CPU.
July 15, 2009 11:19:30 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I want to place an order today so I'm kind of in a hurry :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2009 6:53:02 AM

I think you should take the 512mb version, with your compy, I doubt the bottleneck will be the VRAM. As for the PSU, the corsair looks like a very good deal with that mail in rebate.

Have fun with your new video card! :) 

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2009 11:45:54 AM

1GB on a 4670 seems like overkill just for the sake of raising the card's price to me...The 4670 is a good match for a Pentium D, although there might be some bottlenecking.

Keep in mind, you might be lucky enough to have a mobo that supports 65nm Duo's, which would be a significant CPU upgrade over a Pentium D.
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 191 U Graphics card
July 16, 2009 12:06:55 PM

@ Ivebeenshottt: I cannot be certain, but from the photo, you have a Dell, right?
If so and the PSU is 275W or more it'll run a HD4670 without needing a PSU upgrade.
For a 250W unit, the HD4650 is a better match.
Of course if I am wrong, the Antec PSU/Sapphire card is my choice.
July 16, 2009 11:00:26 PM

No, it's a Gateway 840GM.

I was playing WoW today, and I noticed that my CPU was running at 100 degrees Celsius, and I was getting unplayable framerates.. (1-15)
Is the temperature something I should worry about, because remember, it IS a Pentium D 800 series.

Will this temperature effect my new RAM, PSU, or GPU for that matter?
Could the high temps be resolved a little bit when I replace the power supply?
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 6:14:49 AM

100 C is very hot for any cpu, although I suspect you are getting incorrect data as your cpu would probably be shot by now if 100 C was your real temp.

What utility are you using to measure the temps?

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 12:15:51 PM

Nope, the Pentium D 3.0Ghz will get that hot, I would know :D 

Whats happening is your CPU is trying to slow itself down to stop from melting in place. If its getting that hot, screw the GPU, you need to replace that CPU, now.
July 17, 2009 5:46:14 PM

I really think that you are better off just building a fresh rig. Your cpu is slowing itself down in order to keep itself from burning up.
July 17, 2009 7:52:11 PM

Check if your mainboard supports C2D... if so think about getting one... that way your GPU upgrade won't be a total waste of money... Your pentium D is no longer suitable for gaming, specialy the games you want to play
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 10:46:47 PM

4850 would be bottlenecked by your PD.
!