Intel X25-V for $69 only, should I buy over Vertex/Agility 2?

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Hi,

I saw a good deal in Fry's Electronics for the X25-V 40gb Intel SSD for just $69.99. Since I'll be upgrading to an SSD with a budget of $250, this triggered my interest.

Originally, I planned on buying a 2 x 64gb Vertex 2 or Agility 2 this coming thanksgiving sale and run these in Raid 0. There are no good sale yet for these drives.

BTW, I don't mind losing TRIM.

This is the link for the Fry's deal:

http://www.frys.com/product/6165889?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

If I buy the Intel SSD, I'll spend $216 including tax and shipping. If I buy the Agility 2 now, it is $26 dollars more after rebate. Either way, I still meets my budget.

Please give me advice on what route to go, 3 x Intell SSD or 2 x OCZ sandforce drives?

BTW, I also have a 2 x 500gb Samsung Spinpoint drives that run in Raid 0. I use that as my storage and caching drive so that the SSD would get pounded much.

I also have a file server that backs up all my stuff. I'm not worried about losing files from a drive failure on my raid drives.

Thank you.

Solution
If you want to do RAID0, then i recommend the 28% OP Sandforce models, with capacities 50GB or 100GB; these have 28% spare space which should help with the absence of TRIM.

The Intels have only 6.8% and would show a decent amount of degradation after some use.

There are 60GB and 64GB models of Sandforce, but i recommend you avoid them, especially if you want to do RAID0 on them. The 50GB models have a little less capacity but would have longer lifespan and show less degradation over time.

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for your reply. So, the Intel 40gbs are a big no no?

Microcenter is now selling its own branded SSD with SF-1222 controller. I heard that AData was the one who made this for them.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0351760

If it is really based on an Adata drive, the IOPS would most likely be 50,000 which levels to a Vertex 2 drive. So, I think I will count these Microcenter drives in my 'ssd' list, as soon as reviews come out.

Anyone else think that the X25-V drives are not the way to go?

Thanks

sub mesa

Distinguished
If you want to do RAID0, then i recommend the 28% OP Sandforce models, with capacities 50GB or 100GB; these have 28% spare space which should help with the absence of TRIM.

The Intels have only 6.8% and would show a decent amount of degradation after some use.

There are 60GB and 64GB models of Sandforce, but i recommend you avoid them, especially if you want to do RAID0 on them. The 50GB models have a little less capacity but would have longer lifespan and show less degradation over time.

Solution

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007

Very informative. Thank you. I'll pass on the intel ssds then. :D