Sign in with
Your question

Mix-matching memory

Last response: in Memory
September 28, 2009 3:46:25 AM

I'm using a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, E8400 Core 2 Duo, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, w/ 2GB of DDR2 800.

I want to upgrade my ram, but still use my old ram. I looked in my motherboards manual and it says "It is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used". Has anyone tried using this mobo and tried to mix match memory sizes and brands? I figured i would have to at least get the same speed. But can i attempt to put 2x2GB ddr2 800 of say corsair? and still have it work? the brand i'm using now is pqi. I know it says in the manual not to, but i just wanted to know if anyone has tried with this mobo and had it work. thanks for you time.

More about : mix matching memory

September 28, 2009 3:50:13 AM

another reason i ask this is cause the pqi sticks i bought a while ago are deactivated from newegg.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2009 4:07:31 AM

Most important is the voltage. If the voltage is the same, or very close, and the latencies are the same, or very close, it PROBABLY will work. But you can never be sure. Sometimes memory just does not like to be mixed with other memory, and some motherboards are more picky about it than others. You just never know.
However, do a double check on the voltage thing. If you have sticks that run at 1.8 volts, and you toss in a couple more that run at 2.3, you are going to have problems for positively certain.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
September 28, 2009 1:40:21 PM

Two programs by www.cpuid.com will normally tell you what voltage your current RAM wants and how much it's being given. CPUz and CPU Hardware Monitor.

As jit says, try to match the voltage exactly, then look for very close other specs, the 5-5-5-15 type CL numbers.
m
l
September 28, 2009 2:21:04 PM

awesome, thank you guys. my timings are 5-5-5-16, at 1.8v. running at 333MHz. so, in theory, if i bought ram, with these similar specs, it should work? no matter the brand? and what about the size? if i added 4GB to 2GB, equaling 6GB, would that work? and is memory compatibility better with win7? or does it just depend on the mobo? sorry if these questions are redundant. i know they've been asked before, but i just wanted to know about this specific mobo. i probably should just buy the ram sticks and be done with it. but anyways......thanks for you time and advice :) 

m
l
September 28, 2009 2:39:57 PM

its best not to mix and match.

it MIGHT work if you buy similar setting ram..

however just pushing 4 ram chips of the exact same kind is harder than 2 chips
and may require relaxed settings..

then throw in different ram chips and its harder to find the problem.

are you using a 64bit os if not just go with 4GB 2x2gb chips.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2009 3:03:27 PM

OK, your current RAM is showing as 667MHz, but could be different, higher like 800, and just not set up right. I'd pull one of them and double check what it says. Write down all info on the tag.

I think it's likely that your current RAM is at least 800 now.

Here's the pqi website:
http://www.pqi.com.tw/product.asp?oid=40&CATE1=133

If you can return any RAM you buy w/o fees, I'd just try some 800, but best to find out what you have now, get it set up to specs first.

m
l
September 28, 2009 4:16:02 PM

my ram is underclocked to match the the bus speed, which is 333MHz. im positive the ram is 800(PC2-6400), i still have the order saved on newegg. the item is deactivated though. and they're different from the ones on their website. different heatsinks anyways. the timings are different too, but this could have to do with, my settings in bios. i'm not very keen when it comes to oc'ing and timings, so the settings are mostly set to auto in the bios. and it has fancy features like "turbo" and "fast" that i probably have set to as well. so i guess i'll try the ones off their website that must be the same as what i have, just different heatsinks. thanks for your help. i'll just cross my fingers and see what happens.
m
l
September 28, 2009 4:19:41 PM

rand_79 said:
its best not to mix and match.

it MIGHT work if you buy similar setting ram..

however just pushing 4 ram chips of the exact same kind is harder than 2 chips
and may require relaxed settings..

then throw in different ram chips and its harder to find the problem.

are you using a 64bit os if not just go with 4GB 2x2gb chips.

i see what you're saying, i am running 64bit (windows 7 ultimate x64)
m
l
a b } Memory
September 28, 2009 5:25:57 PM

Again, I'd solve the issue of your current RAM not working right before adding any more.
m
l
!