HDDs not mounting in Windows 7 - possibily power problem?

aqibmushtaq

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I recently been having an issue with mounting my secondary HDDs in Windows 7 and I think it may be to do with my power consumption. So basically I have 1 HDD for my OS and 2 other HDDs for my data, all HDDs are SATA. I've recently upgraded my PC but the system has been working fine for about 4 weeks, but all of a sudden my two secondary HDDs are not mounting in windows, neither are they recognised in Disk Management. However they are working well in Ubuntu.

Also another problem I have been having since upgrading my PC, is that when I plug my phone via USB to my PC, the USB Wireless Adapter loses it's connectivity until I remove my phone from the USB port.

As I think this could be related to my power consumption, here are the specs for the PC:

Mobo: Biostar G41U3G
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0 GHz (Overclocked)
RAM: 2 x 4 GB Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory
GPU: XFX AMD 6670
PSU: Standard 300 Watts
HDDs: 3 x SATA (1 x 160 GB, 2 x 500 GB)
DVD-ROM: Standard IDE DVD Drive

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

aqibmushtaq

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I rebooted my PC and noticed that the other HDDs were not appearing in the BIOS screen, so I simply reset the BIOS and it's working now. But I would still like to know whether the PSU output is enough to cope with the system.

Your power supply is running the system regardless of which OS you are using. If Linux is working with access to all drives, your PSU is fine.

Besides, if you didn't have enough power for one or two drives, none of them would work.