Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SATA HDD problem

Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2009 6:03:29 AM

Good evening everyone. I have just installed a Seagate 500GB SATA HDD and attached it to my motherboard via a PCI slot SATA adapter. I formatted it and then using Acronis True Image Disk Clone I copied my 'C' IDE HDD to the new SATA HDD, to be a 'fail safe' back up. To test the SATA I disconnected the IDE HDD, rebooted & altered the BIOS to show the SATA HDD. When the computer was rebooted it stopped after listing things as usual but before the XP OS started, the message - 'Press any key to reboot' appeared. I have tried several times altering the 'boot order' (?), but the same message appears. I have, I guess, not done something correctly. Can someone point me in right direction. Thanks. Annie.

More about : sata hdd problem

September 28, 2009 6:56:43 AM

This sounds quite simple... The thing is that you simply cannot copy your existing OS, XP in this case, from hardrive to another. This is due Micro$ofts copyright protection.

You can use your SATA drive as extra storage for your IDE drive with OS Installed, but what you cannot do is to move the OS in IDE to SATA (at least without some HDD imaging program).

If you want your OS to SATA drive you should do this:
1. Remove IDE drive
2. Make a clean install XP to SATA drive from CD
3. Connect the IDE Drive
4. Boot from SATA drive
5. The IDE drive shows as another fixed drive so simply move the files you want to your SATA drive. Then you can format the IDE drive if you want(all files in IDE drives will be lost).

At least this is what I would do. Hope it helps, though you may have complications with installing due you're using a SATA adapter.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2009 1:53:15 PM

There are 2 ways to clone a drive. 1 way is as a backup, with all your data there, but the boot sector will not be cloned, the drive cannot be made so you simply plug it in and it boots. As above, this is due to Mircosoft license.

The other way is cloning your old drive to a new drive, with intention of using the new drive as your boot drive. What happens here is durning the clone process, the entire drive, including the boot sector is cloned to the new drive. But it removes the boot sector from your old drive in the process, again this is due to license regulations, you cannot make or have 2 bootable copies of the same OS license.

The way to get around this is to run RAID 1, but there is a whole array of other issues to deal with, and RAID is not a good way to back things up.

What you want to do is configure Configure Acronis to do a backup to another drive, but it will not be a bootable backup. It will be a "restorable" backup.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2009 6:31:14 AM

Thanks to both. I guess I am on the wrong track and will have to give it all more thought. Thanks again. Annie.
m
l
September 29, 2009 1:27:51 PM

After reading both of the answers above as they both have valid points I differ with them on the "Microsoft copyright protection" point. I do not feel that this is creating the issue that you are experiencing. I have successfully "cloned" drives of different sizes using Acronis and they went successfully. Is your system an older one that does not have the SATA ports built in to it? ( the reason that you used a pci card to interface the drive) If this is the case the you board may not support the "boot to pci attached storage" If you have onboard SATA then interface the drive to one of them, adjust you bios accordingly and it should work. (If the drive was cloned and not copied using the Acronis software)
m
l
October 6, 2009 11:53:11 AM

shabaa said:
After reading both of the answers above as they both have valid points I differ with them on the "Microsoft copyright protection" point. I do not feel that this is creating the issue that you are experiencing. I have successfully "cloned" drives of different sizes using Acronis and they went successfully. Is your system an older one that does not have the SATA ports built in to it? ( the reason that you used a pci card to interface the drive) If this is the case the you board may not support the "boot to pci attached storage" If you have onboard SATA then interface the drive to one of them, adjust you bios accordingly and it should work. (If the drive was cloned and not copied using the Acronis software)

Hi Shabaa, Yes my Mboard does not have SATA ports built in, hence my installing a PCI SATA port card card. Is there any way I can instruct the system to boot to the installed PCI SATA port card? Thanks. Annie.
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2009 1:02:03 PM

Annie 333 said:
Hi Shabaa, Yes my Mboard does not have SATA ports built in, hence my installing a PCI SATA port card card. Is there any way I can instruct the system to boot to the installed PCI SATA port card? Thanks. Annie.

Even if in your bios it offers a "boot to other device" I believe that it may not be possible to boot to the SATA drive on the card in the PCI slot (Depending on the motherboard and the specific BIOS installed). Your best bet would be to use an IDE drive to clone your drive. Even if you are out of IDE connections it is possible to clone the drive as long as you plan to not use the original (old) drive. What kind of motherboard or system do you have?
October 10, 2009 2:58:10 AM

Hi Shabaa. Sorry for the delay, have been away for a few days. My motherboard is an ASUS P4S800 -MX SIS IFX Chipset. Only IDE connections no SATA. I have changed the 'boot to' instruction in the BIOS, but, no use! I now accept that, with this motherboard, I cannot Clone to a SATA HDD (via the SATA connector) to use as a back-up if the present 'C' IDE HDD fails. I will buy another IDE HDD and use that. Thanks shabaa, and all, for your help.
m
l
!