Sign in with
Your question

Video card shuts off before computer does

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2009 1:22:31 PM

Yesterday I upgraded my video card to the xfx 9800GT. I noticed that when the computer restarts or I go to shut it down the video turns off but the rest of the system stays on for a little bit after that. Is this normal? Computer runs fine otherwise with no problems.
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2009 2:38:50 PM

How long is a little bit? Mine does this for maybe a second or two. If that is all, you're fine, but if you mean 10-20 seconds (or longer), that would be a bit odd.
May 2, 2009 2:42:54 PM

It's probably 20 seconds but that might just be because of vista.

EXT64 said:
How long is a little bit? Mine does this for maybe a second or two. If that is all, you're fine, but if you mean 10-20 seconds (or longer), that would be a bit odd.

Related resources
May 4, 2009 12:44:46 AM

hibernation in a system with substantial memory also leads to an extended time between video off and system power off.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2009 12:27:39 PM

All Windows does when it shutsdown is saving any critical system information, and then cutting power to the PC. Most driver level components aren't even shut down, as the power off does that. (FYI, 95 would actually shut down every component one by one; this "feature" was removed in 98 to speed up shutdown)

If some parts are still running, its probably thanks to your mobo capacitors with a large PSU leaving enough juice to power a few components like fans for a few seconds. I know my PC does this from time to time...

Are you sure its just to GPU shutting down (IE: CPU running, etc) or is it just the fans in the case?
!