Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard drive

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2010 1:15:40 AM

Someone built a PC for me , the processor failed after a couple years, I bought a new computer and went to put the 2 HDs from the old one in, they didn't work, got housing for exterior HD and noticed the "person" took the backs of the 2 HDs! Why? who knows but I need the info on these HDs bad, a lot of research material on them. What can I do?

More about : hard drive

a c 96 G Storage
November 14, 2010 1:20:05 AM

What do you mean took the backs from your HDDs? Are the platters exposed?
Score
November 14, 2010 1:44:40 AM

circut board
Score
Related resources
a c 108 G Storage
November 14, 2010 1:46:49 AM

If someone took your drives apart and were not in a sterile environment and basically work for the drive manufacturer then not only are they an idiot then you are screwed with your data. You might could hire a forensics lab for big bucks that could recover your data but we are talking thousands of dollars.
Score
November 14, 2010 1:53:58 AM

What is weird is he had to have taken the backs off when he built it 2 yrs ago and it worked till the processor died, unless it wasn't the processor. YES he is an idiot !
Score
a c 96 G Storage
November 14, 2010 1:59:30 AM

BillieOb said:
What is weird is he had to have taken the backs off when he built it 2 yrs ago and it worked till the processor died, unless it wasn't the processor. YES he is an idiot !

This makes no sense. If he removed the circuit cards a couple of years ago, they would have never worked. Are the pin connectors still attached to the back ends of the HDDs (I assume these are IDE drives)?
Score
November 14, 2010 2:12:23 AM

He didn't take the circuit cards out, he took the plate off, opposite the side where all the info for the HD is printed. No the connectors aren't connected. I removed the HDs to put them in the new computer and that when I noticed the plate was off.
Score
November 14, 2010 2:54:31 AM

I believe what the OP is trying to say is that the bottom side does not have a cover as does the top. Thus you can see some the circuit board etc. If so, this is normal and nothing is missing. I am referring to the large top and bottom, not the small edges of the drive.
Score

Best solution

a c 117 G Storage
November 14, 2010 3:13:09 AM

No one took anything off anything....this is how hard drives look.....the circuit board is exposed for cooling purposes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Your Hard drive contains data that tells the computer how to start. You are attempting to take a set of instructions on your hard drive that says:

1. Do this w/ part no. 1948566327509
2. Do this with part no. 094jhfuy654i8tn
......and so on

and out those instructions in a box with a complete new set of parts. Kind alike trying to put Chevy brake pads in Mercedes and then wondering why they don't fit.

here's what you do:

1. Buy one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Install as per directions. Connect to your new computer's e-sata or USB port

3. Pop the old hard drives into these docking stations (one at a time).

4. Fins the data in Windows Explorer and do what you want with it.

November 14, 2010 4:09:08 AM

Bless all of you ! I'm the idiot, I have never seen a hard drive with the circuit board exposed before. The picture JackNaylorPE has is just how it looks. How can I vote on a best answer when everyone, except me, was right ? Thank you all again!
Score
November 14, 2010 4:16:54 AM

Best answer selected by BillieOb.
Score
a c 108 G Storage
November 14, 2010 4:30:21 AM

I did actually build a computer for someone who followed "advice" to take all the screws out of his drive and expose the platters! You had me worried lol.
Good catch Jack.
Score
February 23, 2012 10:57:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!