Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD4850 on PCI-E 2.0 x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2009 1:58:47 PM

Hello, my ASUS EAH4850 reports, on the ATI CCC, that it's working on only PCI-E 2.0 x2, when I think it should normally report PCI-E 2.0x16.
My motherboard is ASUS P5B-SE:
Expansion Slots
1 x PCI-E x16
2 x PCI-E x1
3 x PCI 2.2
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit, and the video drivers are Catalyst 9.3, but it has shown the same thing with all the previous ones as well.
Another thing of note: Why does it report 1278Mb, and Hypermemory, instead of 512Mb and GDDR3? Is it good or bad that it uses system RAM? I'd rather not have it use any of my 2GB.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this topic is posted twice, my net timed out.

More about : radeon hd4850 pci

May 2, 2009 2:07:16 PM

I forgot to add the screenshot, and I couldn't edit my first post.

m
l
May 3, 2009 10:41:16 AM

Bump for dear help. This issue is really bothering me as I think it holds my card back quite a lot.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2009 12:03:40 PM

What does Cpu-z tell you bout the card?
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 3, 2009 12:26:59 PM

Check through the MB manual, I do not think you have disabled the onboard graphics and set up the motherboard to correctly identify the card.
m
l
May 3, 2009 4:31:13 PM

coozie7 said:
Check through the MB manual, I do not think you have disabled the onboard graphics and set up the motherboard to correctly identify the card.

My motherboard does not have an onboard graphics chip.
There are no BIOS settings for PCI-Express except enabling/disabling the PEG port, and forcing PCI-E x1, which is set to disabled.

Quote:
What does Cpu-z tell you bout the card?

GPU-Z and CPU-Z reports

And Everest too:
m
l
May 3, 2009 7:00:28 PM

I actually ment Gpu-z lol... i dont know what i was thinking. but since you showed me the whole ''bunch'' i atleast know ur running ur latest bios,

to do list:

I would actually try enabling that force pci-e x1 function to see if it has an effect,

What psu are you running this and do you ahve your card connected with the aditional pci cable ( it should have a red light flashing on your 4850 if it aint)

Also actually try testing it on a bench or a game to see if its not fooling you lol.(wich i doubt oh well worth a shot)

and r all of your bios settings on default?.

also if you have the possibilty to test your card somewhere els you should ofcourse try that. Since if it does work properly on a diff machine we could b pretty sure its something to do with this mb.

So you should also test this mobo with a diff graphic card. Since tbh i think its a bios thing since you said you have the ability to force it to pci-x1 so why not 2 lol..
m
l
May 3, 2009 7:11:25 PM

Try checking how the card physically fits in the system. If there's dust or dirt that's disrupting the contacts, or if the card just isn't fully seated right, it would cause erroneous results.

This probably isn't the cause, but it's something that's often overlooked and you don't want to waste a lot of time on this only to find the solution to be something this simple ;) 
m
l
May 3, 2009 10:12:09 PM

Gentlemen, I wish to thank you most kindly for your help.
After I reseated the card, and the BIOS battery as well, it seems my video card is running as it should, at x16.
This is solved.
m
l
!