Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First timer needs help with OC for AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (non-BE)

Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2011 1:26:54 PM

My system

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (non-BE)
Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G
PSU: COrsair 650W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Cooling: Stock fan

This system is mainly used for some fairly intensive day trading software and also as a home PC with occasional video and photo editing etc. I am not into gaming.

I just want to do moderate OC without adding any additional cooling system. I want to bump the clock from 2.8 Ghz to maybe 3.2 to 3.4 Ghz max.
I'd appreciate if you guys could help me with the steps in accomplishing my goal. Or if there is beginner's guide that I could refer to.

I was reading this guide which is pretty good.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom...
I just want to get a second opinion from here to make me comfortable before I start tinkering with the system.

More about : timer amd phenom 1055t

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2011 10:45:21 AM

You might find it start getting pretty hot trying to run at 3.4GHz on stock cooling.

If you're running trading software and video editing I wouldn't have thought you'd see a big difference with overclocking.. it's your RAM that would make more difference.

Anyway..

The page you've linked to has so much more information than what anyone here will be prepared to write out for you.

As you haven't got a BE you need to increase your FSB to overclock. Now you have a choice here to overclock your RAM as well (just by increasing FSB) or you can lower your RAM settings, tell it to run at say 1066 and then as you increase your FSB your RAM will work it's way back up to 1333.

Once overclocked and booted into windows, you need to test that you're stable. Most do this with Prime95 which you run with "round off checking" enabled, for at least a few hours. If you don't get any errors, BSOD etc.. you're stable. If you get errors you can either increase voltage and test again, or lower your clock until you were stable again.

You should be able to get to 3.1GHz or 3.2GHz with stock cooling and stock voltage, but all chips are different and some will need more / less power, and some will run hotter than others so keep that in mind - keep an eye on your temps!
January 2, 2011 12:50:41 PM

acer0169 said:
You might find it start getting pretty hot trying to run at 3.4GHz on stock cooling.

If you're running trading software and video editing I wouldn't have thought you'd see a big difference with overclocking.. it's your RAM that would make more difference.

Anyway..

The page you've linked to has so much more information than what anyone here will be prepared to write out for you.

As you haven't got a BE you need to increase your FSB to overclock. Now you have a choice here to overclock your RAM as well (just by increasing FSB) or you can lower your RAM settings, tell it to run at say 1066 and then as you increase your FSB your RAM will work it's way back up to 1333.

Once overclocked and booted into windows, you need to test that you're stable. Most do this with Prime95 which you run with "round off checking" enabled, for at least a few hours. If you don't get any errors, BSOD etc.. you're stable. If you get errors you can either increase voltage and test again, or lower your clock until you were stable again.

You should be able to get to 3.1GHz or 3.2GHz with stock cooling and stock voltage, but all chips are different and some will need more / less power, and some will run hotter than others so keep that in mind - keep an eye on your temps!

Thanks acer,
I will be happy if can get up to 3.2 with stock cooling. Will certainly look into adding more RAM eventually. (But I read somewhere that anything more than 4gb for Windows is useless. I wonder if they were talking about 32 bit OS. )
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2011 1:29:30 PM

That's only on 32bit OS, I'm on Windows and have 8GB RAM, and like 1.7GB video RAM.
m
l
January 2, 2011 5:49:32 PM

Thanks acer
m
l
January 2, 2011 5:49:48 PM

Best answer selected by duggils.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2011 10:00:46 PM