Overclocking is....well Overwhelming {NuB}

marlen_30

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Sorry to be somewhat ignorant to the world of OC'ing, but it seems the more research I do through the forums, the more confused I'm getting. I just built a machine for some HD video editing and I'd like to get a little better performance from the system without taking too much of a risk. My main objective is to speed up render times of the HD video.

I thought it would be okay to use the AI Booster or TurboV features on my Asus Renegade III Extreme for a simple OC and get some decent results, but after looking through the forums, that may not be the best way and in some cases may even harm things. I'm not at a stage where I'm comfortable totally tweaking things in the BIOS however I have gone in and messed around with CPU Level Up and such.

Is it possible for someone to look at what I'm running and make a recommendation as to what would be a safe, but still efficient OC setting to get a decent (5-10%) improvement on the system? I think I want to get more than just what the AI Booster is providing, but am really nervous about setting something wrong and doing some damage.

Again - this is for video editing as opposed to heavy gaming, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but I would really like to hear thoughts on what can safely be achieved.

Thanks.

Marlen_30

CASE NZXT| PHAN-001WT RT
CPUp|INTEL CI7 950
Motherboard | ASUS Rampage III Extreme
Memory | 2Gx6|CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9 G
PSU | CORSAIR|CMPSU-850HX 850W RT
VIdeo Card | VGA ASUS|ENGTX470/2DI/1280MD5/V2 R

Solution
Simple selecting XMP profile in the AI Tuner section of the BIOS should give you a 160 BCLK and set all other settings manually. I'm guessing your RAM may not have an XMP profile and therefore this may not be an option for you. The "in windows" tools are very convenient when working with the R3E but recognize that once in windows, things get a bit easier. Whatever you can hit with these "tools", you should aim a little lower when making the final settings in the BIOS. and also note that youb can't expect to hit the same OC's with 6 RAM modules as you can w/ 3.

On my son's 920 in the R3E, we have one profile set up as the every day 24/7 OC. It's at 178 BCLK giving 3.7 GHz @ 1.125 volts, 1600 RAM speed at 6-7-6-18 timings which...

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
for a no-risk, mild overclock that will boost your performance... i would recommend you go with an overclock that won't require any voltage increases

the core i7-950 should be able to reach ~3.6ghz without additional voltages adjustments (with 'turbo boost' off)

so i'd suggest you take your CPU (manually from the BIOS) to no more than 3.3-3.4ghz to be on the safe side... turn 'turbo-boost' off... and leave other settings and voltages on 'auto'

that's as simple as can be for a 'no-risk' quick free performance boost

marlen_30

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

That sounds like a good way to go to get started, but why can't I find how to turn off Turbo Boost? I've searched thru threads, and went thru the BIOS, but don't see a selection for turning turbo boost off. What area if the BIOS should I be looking at?

Thanks for the response - I aprreciate the help.

Simple selecting XMP profile in the AI Tuner section of the BIOS should give you a 160 BCLK and set all other settings manually. I'm guessing your RAM may not have an XMP profile and therefore this may not be an option for you. The "in windows" tools are very convenient when working with the R3E but recognize that once in windows, things get a bit easier. Whatever you can hit with these "tools", you should aim a little lower when making the final settings in the BIOS. and also note that youb can't expect to hit the same OC's with 6 RAM modules as you can w/ 3.

On my son's 920 in the R3E, we have one profile set up as the every day 24/7 OC. It's at 178 BCLK giving 3.7 GHz @ 1.125 volts, 1600 RAM speed at 6-7-6-18 timings which results in` under full load temps in mid 50's. No other BIOS changes necessary. He has other profiles going up to 4.3 GHz which req'd several additional BIOS edits.

As a starting point, I'd suggest setting the BCLK to 160, RAM at 1600, timings as per the RAM package and that's it.

This article should serve as a good guide but the R3E's BIOS again will set most of these things automatically.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20081220191040237&board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

For temperature control and long life, pay particular attention to the voltage optimization sections. You shouldn't have to turn it off Turbo Boost until you get at least past 160 BCLK.

Solution

marlen_30

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Great info - and very good article. This is starting to make a little more sense. I'm going to try your recommendation and save it as a profile and monitor some temps etc while I render some video...again thanks for info...