daytrip

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I’m getting serious overheating issues with my cpu the cores are running around 55 at idle and exceeds 100 under full stress using realtemp system test.

I’ve ensured that the fan and heatsink are properly seated and connected. I have reapplied thermal paste and the temps have remained about the same except the core that was overheating the most is now overheating the least.

I have opened the case and ran the test again to ensure heat is not building up in the case and it overheats as before.

Hardware I’m using is:-

Q9550
Gigabyste GA-EG41MF-S2H
BFG 800 watt PSU

r_manic

Administrator
From what I've read, it seems you're still inapplying your thermal paste properly, since the core that was overheating now doesn't, and vice-versa. You sure following installation instructions to the letter?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
What HS&F do you have?

What thermal paste are you using?

Are you OCing? if so, what CPUv and FSB are you running?

forgive me for a stupid question. Is the fan running on the HS&F?

What case is all of this in? Small cases cause a lot of heat issues.

How many case fans?

what temp software are you using? i like HWmonitor. then realtemp and coretemp.

See my specs in my sig. My Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz runs mid 30c idle and 50c at load. Cores run mid 40c idle and high 60c at load.

timo99

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Try to touch the cpu cooler when computer is running (try idle first so you won't burn your hand ;) ). When it doesn't feel very hot then there is still problem with thermal paste OR the program shows you wrong numbers. Try to check the temp from bios. Bios shows you bigger numbers than idle in windows though.

If the cpu cooler is hot then you just need better cooler. By the way I have noticed that it doesn't usually cool down your CPU if you open the case. Oddly enough sometimes it makes it even hotter because of air circulation isn't as good..