Need major help with bios -- freezing/restarting problem

pburt68

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hi,
I built a computer in January of 2010 as a senior project for graduation out of high school. It is now January of 2011 and I haven't gotten very far with it. I built the PC a year ago and I had this problem where it would randomly lock/freeze up and not move or respond in anyway whatsoever. I could press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it still wouldnt do anything. I would have to manually restart the computer. I never got a Blue screen of death ever; that's what's weird about it. Also another thing it would do Is I would turn it on and Windows 7 would boot up and everything and while I was in the middle of something (like browsing the internet or listening to music) it would randomly restart on its own as if someone literally pressed the reset button on the front of the tower. After it's restart at the Post screen I would get an error called a "Hyper Sync Transport Flood Error". Today I pulled the old PC out and fired it up and I got on ASUS's webpage just to see if they had any CMOS/BIOS revisions and to my great pleasure they did. I flashed/updated my CMOS/BIOS to the latest version as of right now. Since I have done that I have not gotten the Hyper Transport Error again. It did reset one time but I did not get that error. IT LOCKED UP PLENTY OF TIMES AGAIN THOUGH. That is one thing that hasn't changed. I ran memtest to see if my memory was ok and everything passed checking each stick of RAM individially. I'm beginning to wonder if this whole lockup thing is being caused by something in the BIOS settings. When I built the PC I didnt really know what I was doing with the BIOS so I left EVERYTHING on auto settings I didnt specify any numbers or anything. If anyone out there is using the same hardware as my self and you have successfully conquered this same problem PLEASE PLEASE help me. Im in desperate need. If you are using the same BIOS as me and hardware please Give me all the settings that need to be set in the BIOS and I will go through and enter them in to see if it fixes the problem. but honestly I have no clue what I'm doing on my own. I have a feeling the lockup error has something to do with my FSB or Hyper Transport Link settings because I left them on auto. I didn't know what to set the multipliers to or anything or voltages and I didnt wanna fry something especially my $200 processor lol. If you could Please give me all the settings I will need to put in my BIOS i would be more than grateful right now. Im literally almost ready to give up on this thing and I have put over $1200 into it.

Here is my Hardware:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe BIOS Version 3303
Memory: Corsair xms3 4GB (2 x 2GB Sticks) DDR3 RAM TW3X4G1333C9A
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
HardDrive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Hard Drive
Graphics Card: NVIDEA GeForce GTS250 512MB DDR3
Optical Drive: Plextor PX-B320SA Bluray Drive
PSU: Corsair TX650W Power Supply (650 Watts)

Im literally begging anyone who can help PLEASE DO!!! lol I seriously need to get a better understanding of what all these numbers such as voltages, latencies, and what not in the BIOS and I also need to know what the need to be set to. I checked the websites of these places and to me it seems like they lack this information; but then again I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I really want to get into this hobby though and in order to do so I need this First Build to finally work out for me.

Solution

CORSAIR

Series
XMS3

Model
TW3X4G1333C9

Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity
4GB (2 x 2GB)

Speed
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Cas...

cmi86

Distinguished
Set all BIOS settings to default, If you are using a RAID array make sure to keep your SATA configurations or you wont boot atall. If you still have these issues then its a hardware incompatibility or malfunction issue. If it goes away then you need to learn what you are doing in your BIOS before you start pressing buttons, thats a really good way to fry your rig

pburt68

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Ok yeah I have run this thing with all the default settings in the BIOS before and it still has this lockup/random resetting problem. Im starting to think either the Processor is bad or the memory is bad even though it has passed memtest in the past.

Right now im downloading UBCD and im gonna run a bunch of those tests on the system just to see what I get but Im about ready to literally go and buy another two sticks of RAM and run them to see if it solves the problem

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
The info you are looking for is in you mobo manual ASUS M4A79T Deluxe, check out the pg starting at 3.4.3 and pg 71 section 3.5 Ai Tweaker Menu set all to Auto
& continue reading in the manual. For more info.

pburt68

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

As of right now my RAM voltage is set at [1.50V] but another guy on another forum told me to set it at [1.54V] and the computer seems to run just a little smoother with it set at that but it still freezes/locks up.

pburt68

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

And yes I know that info is in that manual but I am so new to this that half the stuff in the AI Tweaker menu is completely misunderstood by me. Like the settings with "Bank Interleaving" and all that stuff; "Timings"; the FSB; I just don't understand how all the numbers work and/or what they should be set to. Nothing I can find tells me what to set all those different numbers to and something tells me they should def. be set to something other than AUTO. The manual doesnt really describe what all the different values are ways to find what they should be very well...

CORSAIR

Series
XMS3

Model
TW3X4G1333C9

Type
240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Tech Spec

Capacity
4GB (2 x 2GB)

Speed
DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Cas Latency

Timing
9-9-9-24

Voltage
1.6V

AI Tweaker has to be set to manual to make any overclocking BIOS settings.

Your memory speed is 1333 @ cas9

Your Timings are; 9-9-9-24 that will be your first 4 listed settings, leave everything else on Auto.

Manually set your DDR3 slot voltage to 1.6V

See where you are stability wise just by setting and saving those settings, then you can proceed from there.

*************************************************************************************************

Now your responsibility is simply to educate yourself regarding overclocking, I took the time and wrote the AMD Black Edition Overclock Guide just for people like you, it will give you a learning starting place to branch out from, and study what you do not understand, just Google or get your info straight from the manufacturers website.

Solution

cmi86

Distinguished
I do agree with these guys, start looking at your voltages. Also using pre-boot diagnostics such as the ones included in UBCD is a very good idea aswell, Not that swapping hardware for diagnostics isnt effectiveI just dont want you to start throwing hardware at your rig looking for a fix, its bad practice and you wont really learn all that much either. There is so much more to building a custom set up than just slapping parts together, Keep your head at it and keep leaning and you will get it stable