Sign in with
Your question

Corrupt Hard Drive Problem

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2010 11:59:08 AM

Hi, my brother's year-old computer's HDD seemed to have become corrupt. Things would randomly crash, and games would sometimes say a specific file has become corrupt prompting him to reinstall. Unplugging the HDD and plugging it back in seemed to make it work for up to a day or two, but the problem would always come back, regardless of which SATA port I plugged the HDD in to (I even tried a SATA to IDE converter which had the same problems), I also changed the SATA cable and the power cable. So finally I decided to replace it with a secondary HDD from my computer which I knew worked. Now it's still having the same problem, would it be a problem with the motherboard then? Also, chkdsk seems to come up with no errors. Thanks in advance.
a c 127 G Storage
November 14, 2010 12:58:28 PM

MemTest86+ should be run for 48 hours to confirm your system is stable; every PC should do this on any sign of instability.

If memtest gets you errors, it's either unstable system due to overclocking/heat, or your RAM is defective.

Running with bad memory can corrupt the contents of your harddrive, so don't run an unstable system is the best recommendation.
November 14, 2010 1:09:14 PM

The temperatures are fine, so I guess it must be RAM then. I will run MemTest later today. Thanks for your help.
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
November 14, 2010 1:24:00 PM

For easy access to memtest86+, simply download Ubuntu linux livecd (any) and burn & boot it, press ESC and select Memory Test. If you see a blue background then it is running. If you see any red text appearing in the center, your memory has errors; though it's not 100% guaranteed these are the cause of bad memory; though that is 96% the case i think.
November 14, 2010 1:41:43 PM

Yep I've got memtest burned. I'm going to test overnight as he wants to use his computer right now.
a c 127 G Storage
November 14, 2010 2:11:56 PM

Alright, if you get errors try to swap DRAM sticks to find out which stick it is that gives you trouble. If you don't get errors even after long testing (24hrs+ total; doesn't have to be non-stop) then another problem like a harddrive problem could be the cause of your issues. But first concentrate on memory!
!