cigarjohn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Hello again. Its me, "Mr. Confusion". I should change my username to "Mr. Confusion or Always Confused". LOL!

Anyway, I need some advice on this RevoDrive X2 from OCZ. Its a PCI based SSD card? Interesting. So if I were to install this card on one of my PCI slots, do I have to connect this card to one or both of my 6 gbps ports on my mobo in order to utilize the SATA III performance? The card states that the read and writes are better, utilizing the SATA III than in SATA II.

Also, I was looking at the RevoDrive X2 PCI-E 480GB PCI-Express x4 MLC and it has built in RAID O. I guess this card has four 120 gb drives on it. So if you can't use Trim on any SSD Raid configuration then how is this card being used in regards in performance levels? Since the card does have its own Raid controller built in, will Win 7 think the card is a single SSD and allow for Trim or will the card have to have some kind of garbage collector software on it to perform the proper operations to keep the drive at its peak performance levels.

Thanks again for your time.

Peace.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Not PCI; PCI is antiquated. PCI-express instead, is very modern.

Revodrive is a SATA controller with on each SATA port a Sandforce NAND controller or SSD with say 64GiB of storage. The X2 is four sandforce controllers. This is still SATA/300, and ultimately it travels over the PCI-express interface so no SATA cables are required!

It's not that good a product really, and the listed scores are only when you write easily compressible data; not REAL data! It's speeds will also decline, due to it not supporting TRIM.

Long story short: this is nice for Linux/BSD but not for Windows users; buy a small Sandforce SSD now or wait for newer third generation SSDs to appear (Intel G3, Micron C400, Sandforce SF2000), should only be a couple months now!

cigarjohn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010

So how about a 128 SSD for a system drive and two VelociRaptors 10k in a raid 0 for my games and other software apps.

D

Deleted member 217926

I have a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 with Windows, Office and all the games I am currently playing on it and still have 40GB free. All my storage is done on 2 x WD 640GB Blacks. Raptors are a waste of money IMO. Get a pair of Samsung Spinpoint F3s for storage and a 120GB Vertex 2 or GSkill Phoenix Pro for your SSD. I found 120GB big enough not to be all paranoid I was going to fill up the SSD.

lysle42

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Can one take an image of C:/ on an installed hd and move it to the ssd or do you have to load windows 7 on the ssd from the disk??? Then make the ssd the boot drive and all be ok???

Homer

evertos115

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

This is done very quickly with acronis software.
Just go to tools in that program and choose clone disk. Booting and everything works afterwords.

D

Deleted member 217926

While you can easily clone with software like Acronis, I have found clean installs to be the better way to go. A clean install will almost always be faster and less trouble free.