Xeon equivalent to a i7 920?

atomiktoaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I'm looking at building a CUDA workstation using Nvidia Tesla cards. The CPU side of things isn't a performance bottleneck, but I want it to be stable. I was thinking of using this motherboard with an i7 920.

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

The board supports unbuffered ECC memory, but only with a Xeon (because of the on-CPU memory controller). If I wanted to use ECC memory for better stability, what CPU would be comparable to the i7 920? The E5506 seems to be about right, but I'm a lot more familiar with the non-server parts. Losing hours of progress on simulation due to a memory error is not a fun idea.

I'm looking for something less than $500 that's not seriously crippled. The option to overclock if requirements were to change would be nice, but not essential.

atomiktoaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
There's no plans to code for more than two cards, and even with a separate board to handle the monitors (in the case of 2x Teslas with no video output) the P6T6 would have enough slots. Adding the fourth card requires an 8 slot case and a ridiculous PSU (instead of just huge). Overall, it seemed like $100 extra for a slot I wouldn't use. I had considered it originally though. Am I missing any other feature differences?

The Xeon equivalent to the i7 920 is the Xeon W3520.

The Xeon costs $30 more than the 920 for the exact same clock speed and chache sizes. The cost difference is that the Xeon it is a higher binned chip.

ChunkyMonster is right - what you want is the W3520. It's essentially identical to the Core i7 920 but with ECC memory support.

The E5506 is a slower part (2.13GHz vs. 2.66GHz for the i7 920 / W3520), has less cache (4MB vs. 8MB), and is designed for a dual-processor system (two chips in two sockets on one board for a total of 8 cores). There's absolutely no reason to buy one for a one-socket motherboard.

atomiktoaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Stress-strain modelling for a mechanical engineering application. The code is being developed for us by a contractor. Nothing super-cool like nuclear fusion or mind control for laser-equipped attack sharks.