Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can't get my sistem stable, when under the OC

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 2, 2011 6:53:35 AM

Hy everyone !!!......y have a problem width my PC , y have done some OC on it end a period of time it was stable at 3GH ,,,then sudenley it faild...

Here is what y have..

Processor - intel core quad Q8300 2.5 GH

Mobo - Asus P5Q turbo

Ram - 8GH Kingston Hiperx 1066

the vid voltage i have set it on 1.35 , the multipayer it's at 7.5 ( max ) end FSB at 400.....end y got a stable oc at 3 GH....that is until yesterday.........PLS HELP :( 

the rest of the setings are on AUTO.............just the graphic vid is set too 100

SRY for my bad writing.....i'm from Romania end i dont speack so well English

(( PS . I REMOVED THE STOCK COOLING ,I REPLACE'IT WIDTH A CATANA 3 cpu COLER.....))

More about : sistem stable

a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2011 2:40:22 PM

You could try to give your northbridge more volts by taking it off Auto and selecting the volts yourself. Don't go crazy start low and move it up and see if it helps.
January 2, 2011 2:41:50 PM

If y understand correctly, you overclocked your q8300 to 3 GHz, and it stayed that way for a while. Now it doesn't stay at that clock stabily. Did you monitor the temperature of the CPU at all? It is possible that you installed the cooler incorrectly, and damaged the chip. Otherwise, try upping the voltage to 1.4v. You can go up to 1.45 volts without damaging the chip, as long as the temperatures are below 70c.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 2, 2011 3:55:29 PM

What do you mean it failed? What happened? Also did you check to see if the overclocking is stable with prime95 for CPU and memtest for RAM?
You also need to check for high temperatures wile stress testing with CPUID HWMonitor.

January 2, 2011 6:25:23 PM

what i ment by "it faild"...it was the BLUE SCREEN of horror....:) ).......i set the nb voltage up to 1.2.....i'l try to up the cpu voltage.....to 1.4.......the mem voltage it's on auto......but if it is only on 800mh ( kingston hiperx at 1066 ) i dont think it's wright too up the vid there.....thx for advise guys.......i'l see what happens now.....HAPPY NEW EAR too all

PS. the cpu cooler it's mounted corectly..:) 
January 2, 2011 6:55:40 PM

ok guys!!....here is my bios setyng;s now......i'm runing on 3 gh ( hope it wil be stable )...........styl haf to do some test's

CPU RATION - 07.5
FSB FREQUENCY - 400
PCIE FREQUENCY - 100
D RAM FREQUENCY - AUTO
D RAM TIMINGS - AUTO
D RAM STATIC CONTROL - AUTO
D RAM READ TRAINING - AUTO
MEM OC CHARGER - AUTO
AI CLOCK TWISTER - AUTO
AI TRANSACTION BOOSTER - AUTO
CPU VOLTAGE - 1.4
CPU GTL REFFERENCE - AUTO
CPU PLL VOLTAGE -AUTO
FSB TERMINATION VOLTAGE - AUTO
D RAM VOLTAGE - AUTO
NB VOLTAGE - 1.20
SB VOLTAGE - 1.20
PCIE SATA VOLTAGE - 1.50
LOAD-LINE CALIBRATION - AUTO
CPU SPREAD SPECTRUM - DISABLE
PCIE SPREAD SPECTRUM - DISABLE
CPU CLOCK SKEW - AUTO
NB CLOCK SKEW - AUTO
CPU MARGIN ENHANCEMENT - PERFORMANCE MODE

THIS IS IT GUYS ...if i have something set wrong pleas tel me..........i wil do some test's to check stabiliti .....i wil use PRIME.........

Thx for everithing again..........i'm waiting for ur opinion guis....olso whai can i keep my ram at 1066????.....it's only at 800mh....it's frequence it's adjusting bi itself width the cpu frequence...... :) 

January 2, 2011 7:03:40 PM

it seems that during the stres test's the tempeture stays at 72 / 78 degrees.........hope it wont go uper then this.......
January 2, 2011 7:28:04 PM

That's too much. If you use CPUID HWMonitor you will have 2 types of temperatures. One is measured by the motherboard thermal sensor underneath the CPU and the other is measured at each core by a diode inside the CPU die. If the one that says just CPU is that high you are close to burning that CPU. If the other ones (must be 4 of them) are around that temperature i advise you to lower the voltage a little so you won't damage the CPU.

I recommend to not exceed 1.35v for the CPU if possible. Your CPU is build on a 45nm process and it is not designed to take as much voltage as the 65nm ones. So go down to 1.35 and check for stability with that voltage because your temperatures are too high. If it fails increase the voltage little by little until you achieve stability(but with lower temps).

After testing for 24 ores with prime95 small fft test(or how it's called), if you have no errors or restarts post here the results along with the max temp for each core along with system temp. Also before you end the testing try to place your finger on the north bridge heatsink(radiator) and see how hot it is. If you can not hold your finger there for more then 3 seconds it is too hot(mine already is ha ha ha).

Also check the manual and see what are the recommended settings when overclocking, if you have any CPU enhanced health on disable it, or any enhancing options to increase the speed when load disable it.

I do not have your motherboard but with my gigabyte that is what it is recommended for a stable overclock.

What is the normal voltage for NB and SB ?

You can also search on youtube for people that overclocked that CPU with that mobo and see their results. You might see somethink that might help.

That blue scree might not be from your overclocking also.
January 2, 2011 7:36:21 PM

ok!!...i lowerd the cpu vid at 1.375......but trhe temperature still up's at .....core 1 ...77 degrees...core 2 68...core 3 60 edn 4-th core 58......they mai very

i had it at 1.35 vid and there it faild.........i have check'd every setings that might bee the problem......the bios setings are ok .....i did my homeworck on that part......but stil not STABLE..........i'l try too lower the vid to 1.36.......see how will turn up on the prime test.......
January 2, 2011 7:42:10 PM

the NB and SB where alwais on auto ...but it start's from 1.10........i have set them on 1.20........from mi research....it's ok??

when idle the temp on the core's are 45 , 44 ,41, 41.........now i will start the test width the cpu vid at 1.368....
January 2, 2011 7:52:30 PM

If the normal is 1.1 and you made it 1.2 it's ok. I increased mine only .1v as well.
I think you can leave the SB on normal voltage.

You can also try to set everything to default and do the overclocking again one step at a time after testing the CPU for 24 ores with prime 95 at stock speed.

That 20C temperature difference is not normal. It's weird. Did you applied the thermal paste correctly or used the one that came with the CPU cooler? Did you checked that all 4 pins are tight and secure to the motherboard and the cooler does not move?
January 2, 2011 8:02:36 PM

yes i aplied the thermal paste corectly.....mounted the cooler corectly ....did everything bi the book.........i have run the OC under the default setings when it faild ( only messed width the cpu vid end set the gpu to 100)......ok Ionut....now im runing prime and the temperatures are ....74,70,64,62........width 1.368 vid.......i'l leav it 24 hr to run.....wil speak tomorow....THX again for everithing...:) 
January 3, 2011 2:51:55 PM

Hi !.......well i have run the prime for about 30Hr ....end din't faild......the temperatures reached to 75 degrees........

core1 -75 degrees
core2 - 65 degrees
core3 - 67 degrees
core4 - 71 degrees

pleas have a look to my bios setings end pleas tel me if i need to change something.....olso...why can i run the mem. at 1066 ...

again Thanck you guys for everythinc
January 3, 2011 5:21:44 PM

1.368 try to go a little lower, the temperature is still a little high, in the summer you will be able to make fried egg's if you ad a frying pan on top of the CPU (ha ha). It's still kind of hot.

That 30 our was funny.

As for memory, if it is supposed to be at 1066 you need to change the fsb-ram ratio.
January 3, 2011 6:19:26 PM

yes!...i understand what you men width the cpu vid.....but!, if i go lower it will come back too the original vid when the OC faild........as for the ram i'm reboting now too lock for fsb ram ration.......i dont recall to have such seting in the mobo........thx..:) ..........nice egg''s ..:) )
January 3, 2011 6:37:56 PM

ok cheef...here is the dilema......i dont have fsb ram ration.....but!!...i tri do set from
D RAM FREQENCE and if i go higher then 800mh the OC crashe's......damn mobo....
it will only boot width max 800 MH.......i think i'm limitet by the cpu multiplication
( only 7.5)........i'm sick of it by now.......you can see in my oder post's my bios setting's ...... i'M onestly width my head in the cloud's..:) 

January 3, 2011 6:39:25 PM

oh!!...the 30hr was funny.....damn Math.......
January 3, 2011 8:38:25 PM

If you have any voltage between 1.35 and 1.368 that try that one, if not leave it this way and do those 24 ores of stress.

You should have a fsb:ram ration. if you can not find it 800Mhz ain't that bad :) )).
Search on youtube about how to overclock with it and you might find that FSB:ram ratio.
January 4, 2011 2:26:41 AM

ok!....the vid it's set to 1.3625 i started the test........i.l see tomorow if it stay's width that voltage...........i'l take a look on you tube .....THX